It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
(female)

NVflower HB UserNVflower HB UserNVflower HB UserNVflower HB User
Unbelievable SSDI/SSI/SNAP/Medicaid

So, short version.
My children and I have been on Medicaid, SNAP -food stamps, and I recently won at the ALJ level via OTR bench decision. I have yet to receive anything regarding payments, amounts, or anything.

I get a letter from Welfare stating that my children are no longer eligible for Medicaid based on their income. Their income? This income is counted solely as their income and not as a household so, since they don't pay rent, nothing is deducted from this income. How they get away with assigning child support to the child and not to the household, I don't know, but it certainly leaves people in a huge lurch. We've been living on a little over $700/month in child support (when we get it, but it doesn't matter as it's counted against us anyway). That's apparently too much to deserve Medicaid. Oddly enough, they DO count the child support as a family income for calculating other benefits.

Problem two, after attempting to call the Welfare office numerous times to no end, I go in there today. They tell me that I am receiving SSDI payments and haven't reported them and thus, am ineligible for not only Medicaid for the kids, but for Medicaid for me and SNAP for all of us. What the heck?

I try, repeatedly, to explain I've received no payments. They imply I'm lying and insist I get verification from the SS office to prove it.

Off to the SS office I go. I get the verification and two people there tell me that the Welfare worker would normally have, and should have, picked up the phone to call them for verification rather than making me go down there.
While getting proof they haven't paid me, I apply for SSI since they cancelled my appointment 2 weeks ago and have yet to reschedule. I almost got the SSDI Auxillary benefits applied for too, but didn't have time. This is scheduled for next Monday via phone.

I find out a few things. I may qualify for SSI now, but won't when I get SSDI payments and they tell me that if I would have normally gotten an SSDI payment in any particular month (from the month payments will be paid back to), then they will subtract the SSI payment from the back pay SSDI has yet to pay me. This is why SSDI back payments are delayed until the finish processing SSI claims BTW. They need to know how much money they're going to take back from your SSDI back pay. This is called a 'windfall offset.'

Other bits of joyous news. I rent from my mother. In a good market, she might be able to charge a higher rent. Now let's assume she charges me $400 but could rent it for $500. SSI considers this a subsidy and will lower your SSI payment by $100 as a result because they consider this as someone paying part of your rent. Make any sense? Not to me. The SSI case worker says that the good news is that the less SSI pays me (despite my desperate need for money) the less they will take back from my back payment.

So, are we keeping track here? I lose $300/month in food stamps entirely. I lose Medicaid for myself and two children which means I will have to find some sort of health insurance for them, pay premiums for them and me, pay co-payments, deductibles and prescription costs. Did I mention that I have one prescription that is over $700/month? The SSI? I don't know when I'll get that, if at all. It all gets paid back from my SSDI backpay. The SSDI, not going to see a first payment until the end of December.

Everything I'm going to be getting every month is going to be taken in insurance and prescription costs plus buying food. This is a no win situation and I just give up.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: NVflower
arkansasbeauty (11-22-2011), jgrangran (11-22-2011), mscat40 (11-22-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2011, 06:15 AM   #2
(female)

arkansasbeauty HB Userarkansasbeauty HB Userarkansasbeauty HB User
Re: Unbelievable SSDI/SSI/SNAP/Medicaid

It always seems like the system finds a way to make sure you can't make it. I pray that someone in charge of your case gets a lucky flash of common sense.

The Following User Says Thank You to arkansasbeauty For This Useful Post:
NVflower (11-22-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

dismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB User

Medicare will eventually kick in for you. Have you checked to see if the kids would qualify for state medical insurance for uninsured kids?

Old 11-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
(female)

That would be Medicaid unless there's something else I'm unaware of dismama. We're woefully short of social services here in NV.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
(female)

Thank you dismama. I know that Medicare will kick in for me at some point, but the co-payments and deductables as well as prescription costs are going to kill me. I don't even know if I should sign up for a prescription plan or what one. I know nothing about Medicare and their website isn't exactly plain as day to understand.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Do you have a dept. like social services are health and human service commission where you can go and actually talk to someone. And also medicaid has a thing called chip that you pay just a little I would also see some kind of social worker in your case because you have kids how about free clinic in your area ? sometimes they will know what programs are avaiable out the for people that need help. I'm truely sorry for your dilemiathe system is really broken. Maybe google free medical help in your area. I hope things turn around for you its heart braking for sure.

The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
NVflower (11-22-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Do you have a dept. like social services are health and human service commission where you can go and actually talk to someone. And also medicaid has a thing called chip that you pay just a little I would also see some kind of social worker in your case because you have kids how about free clinic in your area ? sometimes they will know what programs are avaiable out the for people that need help. I'm truely sorry for your dilemia the system is really broken. Maybe google free medical help in your area. I hope things turn around for you its heart braking for sure.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVflower View Post
That would be Medicaid unless there's something else I'm unaware of dismama. We're woefully short of social services here in NV.
The NV CHIP program is called "Nevada Check Up"

http://nevadacheckup.nv.gov/faq.htm

It provides health insurance for low income children who do not qualify for medicaid.

Check it out!

:-)

Pup

Old 11-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

I am very sorry things are so hard right now . It is even worse when we have children , and things are not where they are suppose to be. one thing that might have happened is that the welfare department can look up somebody and see if they have SSDi/SSI , so if on the computor says you are awarded benefits , the welfare department will think that your getting them, even though they have not started yet , as long as it is on the computor they will go by it.
It might be just a error as everything is still going through the system and being processed. SSI being a welfare based program has to be configured before SSDI benefits are paid because it is not a welfare based program. When you do recieve SSDI your children will also be entitled to benefits off your record. Depending on what you recieve in SSDI if low enough you can have SSI too. Maybe social security is still figuring that out , your monthly benefits for both programs . Usually their are notices in the mail saying when Med icad will end , and food stamps , if the worker did it correctly it should be at least given a month notification.
When things are in transition is very difficult to get through, the welfare office has information that is too current or not current enough , which messes things up while still in the waiting stage.
For medicare, some people get help paying the premiums through the state. i am not sure about how that works in your state. But for me, in CA, I do not have to pay anything for Medicare. After everything gets settled , your children still may be eligble for Med-icad. It is just a matter of time before things are figured out . If they are not eligble for med icad, then maybe Healthy Families or a different , affordable health insurance , will be possible.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
So, short version.
My children and I have been on Medicaid, SNAP -food stamps, and I recently won at the ALJ level via OTR bench decision. I have yet to receive anything regarding payments, amounts, or anything.

I get a letter from Welfare stating that my children are no longer eligible for Medicaid based on their income. Their income? This income is counted solely as their income and not as a household so, since they don't pay rent, nothing is deducted from this income. How they get away with assigning child support to the child and not to the household, I don't know, but it certainly leaves people in a huge lurch. We've been living on a little over $700/month in child support (when we get it, but it doesn't matter as it's counted against us anyway). That's apparently too much to deserve Medicaid. Oddly enough, they DO count the child support as a family income for calculating other benefits.

Problem two, after attempting to call the Welfare office numerous times to no end, I go in there today. They tell me that I am receiving SSDI payments and haven't reported them and thus, am ineligible for not only Medicaid for the kids, but for Medicaid for me and SNAP for all of us. What the heck?

I try, repeatedly, to explain I've received no payments. They imply I'm lying and insist I get verification from the SS office to prove it.

Off to the SS office I go. I get the verification and two people there tell me that the Welfare worker would normally have, and should have, picked up the phone to call them for verification rather than making me go down there.
While getting proof they haven't paid me, I apply for SSI since they cancelled my appointment 2 weeks ago and have yet to reschedule. I almost got the SSDI Auxillary benefits applied for too, but didn't have time. This is scheduled for next Monday via phone.

I find out a few things. I may qualify for SSI now, but won't when I get SSDI payments and they tell me that if I would have normally gotten an SSDI payment in any particular month (from the month payments will be paid back to), then they will subtract the SSI payment from the back pay SSDI has yet to pay me. This is why SSDI back payments are delayed until the finish processing SSI claims BTW. They need to know how much money they're going to take back from your SSDI back pay. This is called a 'windfall offset.'

Other bits of joyous news. I rent from my mother. In a good market, she might be able to charge a higher rent. Now let's assume she charges me $400 but could rent it for $500. SSI considers this a subsidy and will lower your SSI payment by $100 as a result because they consider this as someone paying part of your rent. Make any sense? Not to me. The SSI case worker says that the good news is that the less SSI pays me (despite my desperate need for money) the less they will take back from my back payment.

So, are we keeping track here? I lose $300/month in food stamps entirely. I lose Medicaid for myself and two children which means I will have to find some sort of health insurance for them, pay premiums for them and me, pay co-payments, deductibles and prescription costs. Did I mention that I have one prescription that is over $700/month? The SSI? I don't know when I'll get that, if at all. It all gets paid back from my SSDI backpay. The SSDI, not going to see a first payment until the end of December.

Everything I'm going to be getting every month is going to be taken in insurance and prescription costs plus buying food. This is a no win situation and I just give up.
Are you only getting ssdi because if your ssdi is over a certain amount and your kids are getting child support you might be over the income level. Also what about your x why can't he put the kids on his insurance, or make him pay more in support to help pay for medical for the kids.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
The ex is court ordered to maintain medical coverage on the children however, whatever coverage he has is not available to us as he lives in a different state and the coverage is only for his area.

After another half day at the Welfare office I found that:
A)They take the child support ordered amount and count it as the children's income which leaves them ineligible for straight Medicaid. Then they try to see if they are eligible for CHAPs? which takes 1/2 of my income (the yet to be received SSDI) and the child support. This again, leaves them ineligible. The third test is a combined income of the household leaving them ineligible.
We're not talking tons of money here either, but apparently over the limits for these programs. I'm awaiting on a determination for NV Check Up.

They are trying to say that I'm not eligible until after I pay for Medicare Part B for 2 years, for the Medicare premium assistance.

I'm obviously going to have to spend a lot of time trying to figure this out, but after speaking to a supervisor at Welfare, I am filing a formal complaint against my case worker for some things she said to me that we totally out of line.

I'm going to try to find a Medicare counselor in town to help me navigate this confusing mess.

I'm going to see if my attorney will appeal the fact that SS did not even look in to reopening my first claim even though they established the date of disability back that far.

They are pushing through SSI payments (which will be paid back from my SSDI back pay) before Christmas so that I can actually buy some presents for the kids.

I'm so confused and have no idea what's going on anymore.
I would go back to court and see if your x could pay half of your kids medical or all of it if he makes more than you . Just tell the judge that the medical he has for them dose not apply in the state were you live. So he really is not paying for there medical since thet cannot use it.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann04 View Post
Are you only getting ssdi because if your ssdi is over a certain amount and your kids are getting child support you might be over the income level. Also what about your x why can't he put the kids on his insurance, or make him pay more in support to help pay for medical for the kids.
The ex is court ordered to maintain medical coverage on the children however, whatever coverage he has is not available to us as he lives in a different state and the coverage is only for his area.

After another half day at the Welfare office I found that:
A)They take the child support ordered amount and count it as the children's income which leaves them ineligible for straight Medicaid. Then they try to see if they are eligible for CHAPs? which takes 1/2 of my income (the yet to be received SSDI) and the child support. This again, leaves them ineligible. The third test is a combined income of the household leaving them ineligible.
We're not talking tons of money here either, but apparently over the limits for these programs. I'm awaiting on a determination for NV Check Up.

They are trying to say that I'm not eligible until after I pay for Medicare Part B for 2 years, for the Medicare premium assistance.

I'm obviously going to have to spend a lot of time trying to figure this out, but after speaking to a supervisor at Welfare, I am filing a formal complaint against my case worker for some things she said to me that we totally out of line.

I'm going to try to find a Medicare counselor in town to help me navigate this confusing mess.

I'm going to see if my attorney will appeal the fact that SS did not even look in to reopening my first claim even though they established the date of disability back that far.

They are pushing through SSI payments (which will be paid back from my SSDI back pay) before Christmas so that I can actually buy some presents for the kids.

I'm so confused and have no idea what's going on anymore.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
(female)

BlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB User

I live in California. When my son qualified for SSI, child support payments sent to me on his behalf counted as his income for SSI purposes. The state also kicked in a little money extra, and that meant that he would not get food stamps, only me (food stamps were cut in half).

He has medical insurance through his father, but, like yours, he is out of state, and my cost was astronomical, so he had the state Medi-Cal as secondary. Until he got on SSI that is. Then my case worker at the county level told me that he no longer had Medi-Cal. I even got a letter to that extent. I flipped out. Seriously, the $300 he got for SSI was not worth losing half the food stamps and his medical insurance. Well, I discovered that he actually still had Medi-Cal, only it was administered at the state level. Something the case worker did not tell me.

So, maybe find out if that is the case with your kids. I am personally dreading (and putting off until after December 1) calling my case worker to let her know about the SSDI that I am getting, the amounts, because I have a feeling the foodstamps are going bye-bye,a nd my full coverage health insurance I think is going bye-bye too, but we shall see what happens.

Good luck - and even if the state is seriously underfunded (like California is too), remember, you can always request a new social worker for your case. I did that, and my new one is wonderful...the old one was just awful.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #14
(female)

In most states, if you qualify for SSI, you automatically qualify for Medicaid (Medi-cal in Calif.). For some reason, they list the child support as his sole income for medicaid, but as a household income for food stamps. None of their calculations are fair. They don't even deduct your full rental or utility expenses. I got a detailed run down this morning with the supervisor and yeah, I'm definitely requesting a new case worker.

I'm sorry for your troubles BlindMom. It's neither fair nor equitable and we could contact the Governor (which I recommend) but without knowing the system, it's hard to explain what isn't fair about it right?

I do know Calif. has such things as partial disability and other things not available in the next state over.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #15
(female)

In most states, if you qualify for SSI, you automatically qualify for Medicaid (Medi-cal in Calif.). For some reason, they list the child support as his sole income for medicaid, but as a household income for food stamps. None of their calculations are fair. They don't even deduct your full rental or utility expenses. I got a detailed run down this morning with the supervisor and yeah, I'm definitely requesting a new case worker.

I'm sorry for your troubles BlindMom. It's neither fair nor equitable and we could contact the Governor (which I recommend) but without knowing the system, it's hard to explain what isn't fair about it right?

I do know Calif. has such things as partial disability and other things not available in the next state over.

Closed Thread