It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
(female)

NVflower HB UserNVflower HB UserNVflower HB UserNVflower HB User
Auxillary/Dependent SS Benefits

Hi all,
Since I just went through this, I thought I would write out what my experience was like so that others might feel a little more comfortable about the process.

I first want to thank those here, that informed me of this benefit because it will make a difference in what I get monthly.

Parents of minor children, you may be able to get auxillary SSDI payments. If you are approved, normally, your children (living with you usually), can get up to 1/2 of the amount you receive monthly. Each child does not receive this amount, if you have more than one child, the amount will be divided between them.

The process is rather simple.

After being approved for SSDI yourself, tell them you would like to apply for Auxillary benefits for your child/ren.

***If you are just applying, PLEASE be sure to list that you have minor children on your application as the payments for the children, will be back dated to the same date as yours.***

The SS office can set up a phone interview. In my case, it was about a week after applying for the benefit.

These are the questions I was asked.

How many minor children do you have?
Does the child/ren live with me?
They read a legal script.
The DOB of the child/ren.
They asked if I had legal custody.
Has anyone filed on their behalf? (other parent possibly applying for or collecting disability payments)
Is/Are the child/ren disabled?
Has/Have the child/ren lived with me for the months prior to application for SSDI?
Is/are the child/ren eligible on the other parent's benefits? (they can check this for you if you have no contact with the other parent)
They asked if I was wanted or had outstanding warrants.
They asked if I had ever been found guilty of a felony.
They then gave me the retroactive date.
They asked if they should make me the representative payee for the children.

That was pretty much it. They said the process would take a couple months.
I asked for the amount they would pay and was given a 'approximate' amount that he stated was pretty firm.
A separate account for the child/ren is not necessary for direct deposit. They can put it in the same account.

I hope this helps some people. I will update if there are any changes.

The Following User Says Thank You to NVflower For This Useful Post:
pme (12-07-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Auxillary/Dependent SS Benefits-Don't forget to apply!

That is good information ,
One more thing I
like to add is when your child turns 18 and has graduated from high school the benefits will stop , if you have anther child and is under 18 that child would recieve the full benefit until 18 or graduates. If you have a disabled child who turns 18 apply for adult child benefits on his behalf. Try to apply as soon as possible because their is a good chance you will have to wait until everything is processed & he will lose benefits while waiting.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
(female)

pme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB User

If I apply for my dependant child AFTER I receive my approval letter, will they go back to my onset date for her benefits also (meaning she would get backpay)?

Old 12-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pme View Post
If I apply for my dependant child AFTER I receive my approval letter, will they go back to my onset date for her benefits also (meaning she would get backpay)?
Yes

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
pme (12-07-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
(male)

fallan07 HB Userfallan07 HB User

What if the children are step-children that we have coustody of? Will they be able to receive this?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallan07 View Post
What if the children are step-children that we have coustody of? Will they be able to receive this?
If the children are dependant stepchildren they are also entitled to benefits.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:56 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallan07 View Post
Mscat is right. After doing some research, here is what I discovered.

Q: Can step children get auxiliary SSDI benefits? For example, a woman
has 1 child. She gets divorced form her child's father. She remarries
a man who has no children and brings one child into the marriage. Her
new husband becomes disabled and is approved for SSDI. Can the
stepchild get dependent SSDI benefits?

A: For SSDI stepchildren, the child must have been born or conceived
before the natural parent's marriage to the acct. holder and there is
a 12-month waiting period after the marriage before the child's
application can be filed.

Source: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0200306230

Unlikely scenario but possible: A woman divorces her husband. They have no children. She then marries another man. New husband becomes disabled and is approved for SSDI. After the marriage, she cheats on her husband and becomes pregnant with another man's child. This child is not entitled to auxiliary SSDI dependent benefits.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pme View Post
When I was approved I recieved a appointment to go down the field office , I brought my childs information to get him started too , he was awarded backpay as well. So it is possible

Closed Thread