HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Health Insurance Issues (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/health-insurance-issues/)
-   -   4 months really??????? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/health-insurance-issues/882451-4-months-really.html)

Slaughter1984 12-20-2011 04:00 PM

4 months really???????

I was just told by my lawyers office it will take 4 months to get back pay. Is this true? That is ridiculous I need this money now...... Does anyone know the average time it takes to get nack pay?

ferd144 12-20-2011 04:20 PM

Re: 4 months really???????

[QUOTE=Slaughter1984;4897536]I was just told by my lawyers office it will take 4 months to get back pay. Is this true? That is ridiculous I need this money now...... Does anyone know the average time it takes to get nack pay?[/QUOTE]

Hi Slaughter

When did you get approved and have you received anything via mail yet(approval letter,award letter ,Medicare info/card (if applicable)etc?

You have to realize that WE ALL want things now,and getting yourself totally stressed out in a situation that neither you nor your lawyer can control does either any good.

Too many folks showing the side of "I need that money now".........always seem to have to wait longer.Whether expressing that to the ALJ,your lawyer,or you speaking on the phone to SSA,........it will only make matters worse

PLEASE be patient,as there are a zillion other deserving folks that would love to be in your shoes.Unfortunately the wheels of the government are extremely slow,and patience is a virtue

Have a Happy and Healthy holiday season

Ferd:)

BlueSkies14 12-20-2011 04:38 PM

FYI, it took 2 months from the time I found out I was approved to when they deposited my backpay into my bank account. Hang in there Slaughter. They are slow but they will eventually get to you my friend....hopefully, a lot sooner than later. :)

pme 12-20-2011 04:49 PM

That sounds longer than normal. I sure hope you don't have to wait that long. Maybe you will get a nice surprise in a few weeks!

mscat40 12-20-2011 05:28 PM

[QUOTE=Slaughter1984;4897536]I was just told by my lawyers office it will take 4 months to get back pay. Is this true? That is ridiculous I need this money now...... Does anyone know the average time it takes to get nack pay?[/QUOTE]

Hi Slaughter,
I have known some people get their backpay pretty quick, sometimes social security deposits the money in the bank without notice, so keep checking your bank account. I have heard once their is a approval the Lawyer will be paid first. This might delay any back pay , and that is why your lawyer told you it could take this long for you to get your money. This time of year is very busy for Social Security , their is a tremendous backlog right now. You have gone through the really hard part already and have been approved, which is great. It might not take 4months , your lawyer just wanted to prepare you for this in case you were expecting it quickly. This does not mean it will take that long, but to be aware of the possibility. I got my backpay before I even knew I was approved , but did not have a Lawyer to pay first. Be sure social security has your bank information , and update anything that is necessary.

BlueSkies14 12-20-2011 07:24 PM

Mscat is right. I think she told me the same thing after I was approved and I was asking others how long. SS simply deposited my backpay into my account without any prior notification. You get a little bit of a shock when they do finally get around to making that one large backpay deposit. :) I was like, damn, they finally did it! LOL

dismama 12-21-2011 07:04 AM

I gave the direct deposit info when I originally applied so I think that helped. I had to go open a claim for my son when I was approved. His back pay was in the checking account the next day. I think mine took about a month. From what I understand the higher the amount the longer the wait.

BlueSkies14 12-21-2011 08:44 AM

I also gave SS all my direct deposit info. at the outset during my initial application and I too think that does help.