It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
(female)

nannette81 HB User
Question My son's ssi... answers please

Ok my son got approved his first timhe was around for SSI benifits..I had a app.at my local ssa office to bring proof of income for my household...i was told that he would get backpay of 1799.00 and i did not have 2 open a dedicated account,because it was under 2000.was also told that he wld get his first benifit payment on dec 30th....My question are...Will welfare take his back pay?When does the award letter come?When i called the 800 num they told me they DOUBT he will get a payment on the 30th..so i called the local office and still no response.i still have not recieved the direct express card.that ssa local office said that they wld mail out....So ppl there are my questions i hope some1 will kno or can help...HAPPY HOLIDAYS,....

Old 12-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: My son's ssi.....answers plz..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannette81 View Post
Ok my son got approved his first timhe was around for SSI benifits..I had a app.at my local ssa office to bring proof of income for my household...i was told that he would get backpay of 1799.00 and i did not have 2 open a dedicated account,because it was under 2000.was also told that he wld get his first benifit payment on dec 30th....My question are...Will welfare take his back pay?When does the award letter come?When i called the 800 num they told me they DOUBT he will get a payment on the 30th..so i called the local office and still no response.i still have not recieved the direct express card.that ssa local office said that they wld mail out....So ppl there are my questions i hope some1 will kno or can help...HAPPY HOLIDAYS,....
I am not sure if they will take the backpay and use it towards welfare , you might want to call your welfare agency and ask. I have heard things are really busy right now at social security and letters are coming out later then
usual. Keep checking your mail , I can't tell youexcatly when the award letter will come. If your child got a payment on the 30th of Dec. it will be for the month of Nov. so if he does not get a check in Dec, and he gets one in Jan, that would be for the month of Dec. SSI payments are recieved on the 1rst of the month unless the 1rst falls on a weekend the payment will come out earlier. By this time the 1-800 number should be able to see if a payment is processed and ready to be delivered for the next month.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
nannette81 (12-26-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
(female)

nannette81 HB User

i think his payment is going 2 b for dec because he will get it dec 30th because jan 1 falls on sun...but the 800 number is not telling me the same thing as the local office...and my local office never returns my calls....but i guess i will wait and see...

Old 12-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

What do you mean when you say welfare? What makes you think they might take back his backpay, nannette81? Is your only concern you have not received the direct express card yet?

Old 12-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
(female)

nannette81 HB User

yes i am worried about it...First i do not recieve cash or foodstamps from the welfare system..i recieve childcare because I WORK..A FULL-TIME JOB in Corrections..i am a single mother of 3 children and my son is special needs so there has been a co payment for his care while im working so the local welfare office has helped with the co-payment...so yes that is 1 of my concrens..ms..My other concren is that i donot want 2 have payment and not give welfare there part first.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
(female)

nannette81 HB User

Oh blueskies my other concren is that i get diff info from the 800 number than what i got from my local office i just wish i wld have something in writing....but thanks 4 asking:}

Old 12-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

@ nannette81 again. The Social Security website has a Email a question to our support team.. I have posted the link below. You may wanna try this option if you are not having any luck talking to a live person, either locally or the 1-800#. I have aked them questions in writing online @ the link I gave you. Sometimes, the answers are pretty good and other times, they are not so good. LOL...sometimes, the responder will simply copy and post info. from the SSA online website and e-mail to you for you to decipher. This is not like asking a personal question and getting back a personal answer from someone who has researched your question or knows the answer outright and gives you back a personal, easy to understand answer. The other drawback is that it takes them a few days to email you back an answer/reply so this can be frustrating if you need an immediate or a more prompt reply back. Also, don't include any personal, confidential info. in your question like your name, SS #, etc. or they will disregard your question and you will not receive a reply.

I prefer this board and talking to real life people who have been through what you are going thru or who are going thru what you are going thru @ the moment. The SSA website is good and you can find some very good useful info. there, but nothing can replace people telling you "I went thru this and here is what happened to me" because this is truly how the real world operates. What the SSA website says and what actually happens (timeframes for things to happen for example) can vary widely.

Here is the link to ask them a question in writing.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/ask

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
nannette81 (12-26-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
(female)

nannette81 HB User

Thank you so much i think your info will be helpfull..Happy holidays...

Old 12-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Question nannette81? Before your son was approved for SSI, what kind of help were you / are you receiving? You mentioned welfare. Are you getting food stamps (SNAP), monetary payments, subsidies, vouchers, health services, housing, etc.?

Mscat40 knows quite a bit about how SSI operates because she also has a son on SSI. Read her replies to your questions very carefully. They can be quite helpful.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
(female)

nannette81 HB User

my son only gets childcare....my ex hubby pays child support and i work..his medical is covered under me.with a co-pay..dpw has helped with childcare for awhile...i think i sld just wait and see what happens..

Old 12-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannette81 View Post
i think his payment is going 2 b for dec because he will get it dec 30th because jan 1 falls on sun...but the 800 number is not telling me the same thing as the local office...and my local office never returns my calls....but i guess i will wait and see...
A payment for the Month of December would be for NOvember's payment. that is how social security pays. Not for the month that it is in. It is always nearly impossible to get a returned phone call , that has happened to me. Since you work social security looks at your income when figuring out a child's SSI payment. Be sure to have given social security your paystubs so they can calulate the amount. If they do not have the right amount you may get a overpayment , which Social Security will have you pay back. I also worked full time when my son was little and had a subsidy for childcare, it was not through the welfare department though . Did someone tell you had to pay welfare back?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

nannette hi

yes- they will take it-if you rec'd any assistance whatsoever from fed/state there gonna
deduct it first=if they dont now they will.

The Following User Says Thank You to BB07 For This Useful Post:
mscat40 (12-27-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #13
(female)

nannette81 HB User

Well thanks 2 everyone.....They will not take his backpay none of ot due that i work and he was not getting any goverment assistants.So thats good everything will work out for us soon....:}

The following user gives a hug of support to nannette81:
MOnsterpete (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
(female)

Re: My son's ssi... answers please

I am glad everything has worked for your son and family , hopefully he will get his benefits soon and backpay.

Closed Thread