It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
(female)

honeebee3rd HB Userhoneebee3rd HB User
alj hearing coming up soon

i have a hearing on feb 13. i have so many questions. what do i wear what do i say. how do i answer the questions. i'm so freaked out. i feel like i'm going to have a manic period. i'm so scared. what do i do? is this just me? ahhh. i hate feeling like this. so out of control. thanks for letting me ramble and rant.
dengenerative disk disease
arthritis
endometriosis

Last edited by honeebee3rd; 12-30-2011 at 06:59 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to honeebee3rd:
jgrangran (12-30-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
(female)

pme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB User
Re: alj hearing coming up soon

You should wear something like pants and a nice shirt. You don't want to look too dressed up, but want to be neat and clean. As far as what to say, you'll just want to tell the truth. Either the judge or your attorney (if you have one) will ask you questions that you'll want to answer with descriptive words. Help the judge understand why you are unable to work a full-time job. I've had a hearing and a supplemental hearing, and neither was bad. I've heard stories about hateful judges, but mine was fine. It's understandable to be nervous. I think I was shaking throughout mine. Good luck and please come back to let us know how it goes!

The Following User Says Thank You to pme For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (12-30-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

It will be ok . Your Lawyer should be preparing you for the hearing . Answer the questions the best way you can , I have heard some hearings are very short or the person gets a on the record decision. I would wear something casual and not wear make up and keep your hair looking brushed. Good luck to you, their is time so prepare for it but try not to get too stressed out.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
(male)

MOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeebee3rd View Post
i have a hearing on feb 13. i have so many questions. what do i wear what do i say. how do i answer the questions. i'm so freaked out. i feel like i'm going to have a manic period. i'm so scared. what do i do? is this just me? ahhh. i hate feeling like this. so out of control. thanks for letting me ramble and rant.
When we're you given the date of Feb. 13?

The Following User Says Thank You to MOnsterpete For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
(female)

i got the notice in oct i believe. thank you to everyone for the advice.
arthritis
endometriosis

Old 12-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
(female)

is there anything i need to bring with me to the hearing.?
arthritis
endometriosis

Old 12-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Honeebee3rd, It might help if you type in ALJ hearing in the search area of this board and maybe it will bring up others that have gone thru the process I wish I could help but the ones that have posted already did a good job hang in there try to occupy your time somehow like do a project are a puzzle are watch funny movies are something that might take your mind off of it for a while I know it is hard very hard I hope your lawyer is helping you . You do have a Lawyer right? Please feel free to post on this board it will help. Take care and our prayers are with you.

The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
MOnsterpete (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

You have a hearing date! That means you are almost to the end - the big wait is almost over.

I agree with the others about dressing plain and simple. I wore plain black pants and a plain pink blouse.

I am sure your attorney will get with you before the hearing and go over everything. He/she will tell you if you need to bring anything. I brought a small notebook with some notes.

Hang in there!

The Following User Says Thank You to gayle428 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
(female)

pme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB User

Quote:
is there anything i need to bring with me to the hearing.?
If I remember correctly, you just have to take your picture ID with you. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to pme For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (12-30-2011)
Old 12-31-2011, 05:07 AM   #10
(female)

thank you all for the kind words. it has helped ease my mind a bit.
arthritis
endometriosis

The following user gives a hug of support to honeebee3rd:
jgrangran (12-31-2011)
Old 12-31-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
thank you all for the kind words. it has helped ease my mind a bit.
Your lawyer will tell you how to act. Remember these judges have heard it all don't dwell on your disability, let our lawyer do his or her job. This is we're they earn there money make them work for it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vann04 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (12-31-2011), MOnsterpete (12-31-2011), mscat40 (12-31-2011), NElady (12-31-2011)
Old 12-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

NElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB User

My hearing is on Tuesday. (Jan 3rd) and I'm sooo scared as well. My atty was supposed to be requesting an on the record decision but kinda dropped the ball on that, and then said it was too late. I even got a letter stating the odar office called to ask him about an otr decision, but here we sit. Ugh! I'm just soooo nervous so i understand how you are feeling. I will be sure to post and let you know what happens with me so you can have some sort of idea!

Old 12-31-2011, 10:14 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

I would dress casual,but neat.NO suits or evening gowns..lol.If you have a lawyer he/she will most likely give you a "mock" trial the day or so before to answer some questions

If you don't have an attorney.........answer as truthfully and honestly as you can.Have your records with you ,and DO NOT SAY anything like ........"I have waited so long I NEED the MONEY"
That will lower your chances exponentially IMHO

Good Luck and hope all works out,

Happy New Year,
Ferd

Last edited by ferd144; 12-31-2011 at 10:15 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to ferd144 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (12-31-2011)
Old 12-31-2011, 10:41 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

My ALJ is 2/1. My attorney firm sent me two CD to listen to on the hearing. Information such as don't bring anything to the hearing except basics (I.D and whatever atty recommends). Bringing an organized file or briefcase shows a business like approach. If you arrive early don't volunteer any info until your atty arrives, if the atty is in an accident (for example) don't offer to start without the attorney. If attorney is justifiably delayed he/she may ask to rescheduled. Much better than you offering to go ahead without an attorney.

Your hearing letter specified location, time, and if a Medical Expert and/or Vocational Expert would be present. If you aren't familiar with the hearing location, drive to it before the day of the hearing. Arrive 10-15 minutes early.

Depending on your conditions, don't drive. Better to have a driver. Take all medications, judges do this every day and can tell when someone has chosen not to take meds for the purpose of exaggeration. For example, I can't sit long so I should not. If I tell the judge I can't sit comfortably for more than 15 minutes, then don't sit still during the 30-60 minute hearing. Politely request to change positions as needed. Absorb each question and think carefully about how you answer. Dress comfortably, not sweats (unless you need then due to braces or restrictions) and not dress pants/business clothes. This isn't a job interview. The atty tells the story of a client who arrived early and the clerk asked him if there's anything here wanted to add to the record. The client provided a freshly updated and well done resume. That tells the judge he may be job ready. Don't say you have organization problems but then provide pages of detailed organized notes you've written. If one of your problems is pain and the judge asks for your pain level don't say 10 as that means needing hospital care. Don't give a level higher than you reported to doctors (unless something drastic changed). If you say you've had 9-10 they'll expect to see intense care including ER visits. When asked what hurts don't say "from here to here". While you may be pointing from one location to another, if the judge reviews the audio recording in considering your case, what you've said has no meaning. Instead you can point but say "the pain starts in the upper hip and radiates around to the lower back". Review words used for pain description. Don't say "my back hurts". Instead, for example, "I have sharp nerve pain that burns".

Often you're asked what a typical day is like, be able to answer in detail but not the minuscule stuff "I get up at 7 and eat breakfast" isn't enough. Instead add thinks such as "I have to take X medication and give it X time to take effect before I get out of bed around X minutes later. Don't say "Then I get breakfast". Breakfast is too vague, no need to say you get out a fork and a napkin, BUT, what is breakfast? Cereal or scrambled eggs?

Even if you feel your former employer didn't do enough to help you NEVER speak negatively of a former employer. If you do your request for SSDI seems forced and may indicate "I could work if they had let me stay". Keep your sole reason for not working based on your disabling conditions.

Last edited by SpineAZ; 12-31-2011 at 10:55 AM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (12-31-2011), mscat40 (12-31-2011)
Old 12-31-2011, 11:26 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Good Luck to you all for your up comming hearing I hope you ALL get approved and it wouldf be nice OTR . Please let us all know

The following user gives a hug of support to jgrangran:
NElady (12-31-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
NElady (12-31-2011)
Closed Thread