It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
(female)

TruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB User
Just wondering new to this

I filed online tue, due to I can drive but big towns I get very nerves in driving.. I don't really no how this works... when I put all my info in. someone called me thurs and ask me a bunch of questions.. she told me over the phone it would probably take an hour...so I answered all of them and she said I will be getting something in the mail for me to sign and once I sign them it will release my medical files, and they will be sent to Nashville where I should know something in 4 to 6 months.. I don't know anyone that has done this, any help would be great

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Just wondering new to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthseekerTn View Post
I filed online tue, due to I can drive but big towns I get very nerves in driving.. I don't really no how this works... when I put all my info in. someone called me thurs and ask me a bunch of questions.. she told me over the phone it would probably take an hour...so I answered all of them and she said I will be getting something in the mail for me to sign and once I sign them it will release my medical files, and they will be sent to Nashville where I should know something in 4 to 6 months.. I don't know anyone that has done this, any help would be great
With what you wrote is how social security does things , that is the right order how things work. Social Security is going to mail you medical release forms that way they can get your records to docuement your disbaility. Your application and docuements will then be sent to what is called DDS , that is disability determination services, a worker is going to look at your claim/application and all your medical records then make a decision , either a approval or deniel , the majority of claims are denied at the level , you will recieve a letter about the decision in the mail , if denied it is important to appeal the decision, this is called the reconsideration stage , if denied again at this stage appeal the decision , and then it goes to a administrative Law judge, most people will obtain a lawyer in this stage , it can take several months to get heard in a court, a lot of claims are won at this level, more then any other level . The important thing to do is not give up and keep appealing the decision. It can be a very long process , and many people have been through it . Some people don't have to go through all these levels , but a lot have to in order to get approved.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (01-01-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
(female)

pme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB User

They will also be sending you a packet of papers called Activities of Daily Living, that you'll need to fill out and return. It took about 3 months for me to receive my denial, but it can be longer. As the previous poster said, if you are denied...appeal right away, don't give up. Good luck

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pme For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (01-01-2012), mscat40 (01-01-2012)
Old 12-31-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

NElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB User

May i ask what your disability is? Also,are you on STD, or LTD? Because even if you are lucky an are approved right away, you dont get any payment for the first five months. So you need to be prepared financially. I have been fighting for a year and a half so far and my hearing is next week. I have a spinal cord injury and meet a listing and was still denied twice. Also, you cant file for unemployment at the same time. (Again, i dont know your situation). I'm not trying to scare you but it is a very long hard process and you definitely need to know whats in store for you. Id recommend researching as much as you can about it so you know how it works. And of course we are here to answer any questions as well. Good luck and keep us posted.

The Following User Says Thank You to NElady For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (01-01-2012)
Old 12-31-2011, 11:28 PM   #5
(female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User

SSDI will pay you up to a year minus 5 months from the time they deemed you to be disabled, not just from the date you filed ,so for some that would be a lump sum backpay

The Following User Says Thank You to capatga For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (01-01-2012)
Old 01-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

It sounds to me like you are filing online for SSDI without the aid of a lawyer of non lawyer representative. That is ok during the application stage but please consider hiring a lawyer or rep if you are denied at this stage. Prepare yourself and don't let any initial denials discourage you. It is a long process sometimes from initial application to final approval but worth it in the end if you are truly disabled and can no longer work. Appeal any denials before any deadlines and comply with all of SS requests no matter how insignificant or inconsequential.

What is the cause of your disability if you don't mind me asking and your age? Age can play a factor sometimes in getting approved earlier in the process than someone say who is a lot younger but many younger people win also. It really depends mostly on your medical condition and your medical records to prove to SS what you say is true. Good luck to you. Hope you are one of the lucky ones who are approved early in the process.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 01-01-2012 at 06:09 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
ferd144 (01-02-2012)
Old 01-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
(female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User

I filed on line and was approved on the initial try,but the most important thing is to be very careful and make sure you file the daily activity report and above all make sure that you sign a release form for the medical records , it took me 11 months because they said that I missed some items or didn't submit them, make sure and check with your local SS to insure they got everything ,never assume that they are competent , even though I got an email confirmation saying they got it , I had to apply all over again and even then 2 months later they forgot to send the consent form to the DDS so they could attain my medical records ,print out a copy of everything and good luck ,and by the way age does make a difference I am 59 with a high school diploma and 1 year of college , I have cevical and lumbar stenosis and in dire need of surgery among other things ,

Old 01-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

@capatga, you say you are 59 now. How old were you when you were approved and at what stage in the SSDI process (level I mean)? What CDR timeframe did they give you?

Old 01-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies14 View Post
it sounds to me like you are filing online for ssdi without the aid of a lawyer of non lawyer representative. That is ok during the application stage but please consider hiring a lawyer or rep if you are denied at this stage. Prepare yourself and don't let any initial denials discourage you. It is a long process sometimes from initial application to final approval but worth it in the end if you are truly disabled and can no longer work. Appeal any denials before any deadlines and comply with all of ss requests no matter how insignificant or inconsequential.

What is the cause of your disability if you don't mind me asking and your age? Age can play a factor sometimes in getting approved earlier in the process than someone say who is a lot younger but many younger people win also. It really depends mostly on your medical condition and your medical records to prove to ss what you say is true. Good luck to you. Hope you are one of the lucky ones who are approved early in the process.
10000%

Old 01-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
@capatga, you say you are 59 now. How old were you when you were approved and at what stage in the SSDI process (level I mean)? What CDR timeframe did they give you?
I had just turned 59 in May when I got my approval in June, I applied initially in Apr of 2010 online and they said I didn't submit my paperwork ,they sent me a denial letter so ,I filed again in July as my new filing date ,I didnot have recent mri ,scans, xrays ,etc... since 2009 so I had to meet with the CE doctor, I could have eliminated the CE doctor if my medical records were more up to date, I lost my cobra so I couldnot afford the tests, if it had not been for my local SS screwing up and my medical records being out dated I could have been approved in about 4 months ,keeping in mind at my age and physical condition I could not keep doing my same work ,no one wants to hire an aging broken up person like me, when I filled out my daily activity log , I was very specific and didnot leave out anything, if I had a problem lifting my blouse over my head , I said so ,if I could not bend over and pick up something without pain, I said that ,getting in and out of the tub,holding a cup and shaking,hands hurting when writing ,back hurts when sneezing, can't look up because of the 3 level fusion I had in 2002 ,dropping things, etc,,,,
they matched the symptoms with the xrays and other medical proof with my symptoms and it was true ,these things did affect me greatly , so anyone out there filling out a daily living activity ,if it bothers you ,write it down especially if it is a symptom of your condition and these symptoms prevent you from doing your same job, now the hard part comes when they try to find you other work or train you to do other work ,in my case standing or sitting aggravated my condition , so you like me and countless others ,you can be approved on your first try if you document everything but remember ;its not just enough to be of age ,I worked with people in their 70's
if the disability is back, spine ,do your homework , keep a diary ,ask your family and friends if they notice things that you might miss, good luck to everyone out there fighting and be diligent

Old 01-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

When you filed again in July 2010, from that point forward when exactly were you approved (month and year)? You refiled online again correct?

When did they say you would be reviewed? You also did not use a lawyer, right?

Old 01-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by capatga View Post
I filed on line and was approved on the initial try,but the most important thing is to be very careful and make sure you file the daily activity report and above all make sure that you sign a release form for the medical records , it took me 11 months because they said that I missed some items or didn't submit them, make sure and check with your local SS to insure they got everything ,never assume that they are competent , even though I got an email confirmation saying they got it , I had to apply all over again and even then 2 months later they forgot to send the consent form to the DDS so they could attain my medical records ,print out a copy of everything and good luck ,and by the way age does make a difference I am 59 with a high school diploma and 1 year of college , I have cevical and lumbar stenosis and in dire need of surgery among other things ,
This is very good inforamtion u provided , capatga. When S.S. forgot to sent the consent information did you already have the copies that you had? Or did S.S have to mail you the paperwork all over again? that is a shame you had to start a new claim when it was their mistake. Did you have to use a different date of onset because of this? Or did they penalise you ? your backpay? It can be exceedinly difficult to be approved on the first try, but it is not impossible. I had to file for my son 2x although his condition had not changed, because he once was on SSI then recieved benefits off my record, and to place him back on social security after 18 i had to refile , he was approved both times on the first level. I was approved at the reconsideration level.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #13
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
When you filed again in July 2010, from that point forward when exactly were you approved (month and year)? You refiled online again correct?

When did they say you would be reviewed? You also did not use a lawyer, right?
right, I didnot have to use a lawyer, from July 10 which was the second filing date ,I got an approval in June of 2011, keep in mind ,it took 3 months to get a date with the CE doctor and they forgot to turn in my authorization for release of my medical records ,so without the 2 screwups from my local SS ,It would have been only 4 or 5 months, so technically I was awarded on the first try , the first denial was a mistake on the part of the SS, They didnot say when I would be reviewed ,when my husband (he was a disabled vet) was approved they set his at 6 years ,he had PTSD

Old 01-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
(female)

TruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB User

Thanks for all of the replys....They mean a lot to me.... My neck hurts me every waken min of my life.. I had a Mri done 3 or 4 years ago and the dr said he thinks more is going on now then, then...it feels like someone took and hit me with a hammer in the back of my neck, I don't have insureance so I can't have another one done until I can come up with the money to have one done.. my fingers on my right hand hurt.. my hand leans to the left at all times.. I didn't know it was that way until someone else said something... I have depression and bad Anxiety.. I worry all the time.. and I try so hard not to and I can't help it... my son still lives at home and when he gets to work I make him text me to let me know he's there because I'm so scared I will lose him, I'm scared he will have a wreak or something. I don't like getting out of the house to much at all when I do my husband makes me or it's just to go to the store get what I have to and leave.. I get to worrying so much it sends me in the bathroom.. so the dr but me on something for my stomach and I think it's also effect how much I go pee a day.. I bet I go close to 50 or 60 times a day..I was working but it got to the point where I couldn't face people anymore I was in the bathroom or I just got so worked up having to go in, I didn't want to face people.. I just couldn't keep doing it.. I don't have a laywer yet. I'm going to wait until they turn me down the first time and go from there. thanks again everyone

Old 01-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Thanks for checking in TruthseekerTn. Is having to urinate 50-60 times per day listed as a side effect of the medicine your doctor Rx'ed you for your stomach? Wow, that side effect alone is enough to qualify you for disability.

Yep, I agree if SSA denies you, then I would go and find myself a good lawyer. Some of the national firms are really good too and a lot of people are happy with them. Spine says she has had a terrific experience with her Boston law firm and I used Allsup and they are really good so you might consider going with one of these guys instead of a local. They do everything via e-mail, phone, and fax so you can be located anywhere in the country. All you have to do to see about starting the process is call them up and explain your situation.

When you applied, what did you list on the application as the cause of your disability? Is this for SSI or SSDI? I do not remember.

Closed Thread