It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
(female)

sinnamonspice1 HB User
Medically Approved but waiting on the Non-Medical

Hello All,

I received a letter from Baltimore (after 6wks in Quality Review) and it stated that I was medically approved. It also stated that I was disabled as of 9/2010.

Just a little history-I applied in June 2011. After going to QR twice, I am Medically Approved. Now I just have to wait on the Non-Medical. This was my first time applying.

Can anyone tell me what I am to expect now? I am only online from 11p-7a so I can reply to any questions between this time.

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Medically Approved but waiting on the Non-Medical

SSI is a needs-based program for low-income people who are blind, disabled, or elderly.

Medical approval = blind, disabled, or elderly.
Non-medical approval = low-income

You met the medical part because you were found disabled (medical approval). To meet the non-medical, there is an income and asset limit (financial resources) that you must meet. They call you down to the local SSA to verify.

Things like medical care, SNAP (food stamps),housing assistance, are excluded from what is considered income. If you are single, you must have < than $2000 in assets and $3000 if you are married. If you go down to SSA and they discover you have $4000 in a savings account, you won't get your SSI until you spend this down under the allowable amount or sell off other excess resources. For example you are allowed one car. If you have two, you will have to sell one. If you meet the medical requirement and not the non-medical requirement, the SSA will deny your benefit. This is known as a technical denial.

SSDI, OTOH, has only only one non-medical requirement. You must pass a recent work test and a duration of work test to see if you have the required QC's (quarters of work credits) in order to be eligible for SSDI.

Non-medical or technical denials for SSDI is done @ the outset. Even if you are disabled but don't have the required # of credits for SSDI, you will be denied.

SSI does the non-medical determination for benefits after you are approved for the medical part.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 01-17-2012 at 07:22 AM.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (01-17-2012), PanicAttacker (01-17-2012), sinnamonspice1 (01-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
(female)

sinnamonspice1 HB User

Thanks! After reading, I believe I qualify for the SSDI as I have worked for 20+ yrs, and do not have any assets or a car. I am living with my mom and now just waiting to get through this whole process.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

You should be fine I think your well on your way Congrats to you. What was your time line from start to finish? Did You have a lawyer? Your well on your way its smooth sailing from here. Jsut take care of your self.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #5
(female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnamonspice1 View Post
Hello All,

I received a letter from Baltimore (after 6wks in Quality Review) and it stated that I was medically approved. It also stated that I was disabled as of 9/2010.

Just a little history-I applied in June 2011. After going to QR twice, I am Medically Approved. Now I just have to wait on the Non-Medical. This was my first time applying.

Can anyone tell me what I am to expect now? I am only online from 11p-7a so I can reply to any questions between this time.

Thanks!
If you have direct deposit start checking your account

Old 01-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Thanks! After reading, I believe I qualify for the SSDI as I have worked for 20+ yrs, and do not have any assets or a car. I am living with my mom and now just waiting to get through this whole process.
If you qualify for SSDI, you can have a million dollars in the bank and several cars. It is unusual they (SSA) want to determine if you qualify for the non-medical part after being approved for the medical part. 20+ years of work certainly qualifies you for SSDI, sinnamonspice1.

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/icons/icon5.gifsinnamonspice1? When did you apply for disability? How much time elapsed from when you stopped working to the time you filed for disability? Was your 20 plus years of work continuous or broken up into segments over many years?

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 01-17-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Hello All,

Thanks!
Congradulations on your approval for the medical part. The non medical part means that a SSI represenative will look at your income and assest to make sure you fall within the guidelines for SSI. SSI is for disabled people that do not have a high resources and meet their strict income guidelines. The resources for SSI is not to exceed $2000 . A person is able to have 1 car that will n ot count as a resource and 1 home that will not count. Other things like owning property , or anther car or home would count. You will get a appointment to see social security rep. at your nearset S.S office they will ask you to bring your paycheck stubs, bank account information , birth certifficate , social security card and utility statement. THeir will be automatic deductions that will not count as a resource. If you are going to get any backp pay it will be paid in increments not to exceed $2000 , they will give you 6 months to spend down the money to give you time to do this otherwise it wil be counted as a resource, so be careful not to have any more money in a bank account that exceeds the limit. Their is no waiting period for SSI like their is for SSDI so you should be getting backpay. SSI income is always calculated first, then if you are entitled to SSDI benefits that wil also be figured out, if your SSDI is large, you will not have SSI , but SSDI benefits instead, if your SSDI payment is little , then you could also recive a SSI payment . For SSI you will automatically get Medicaid, for SSDI you have to wait 2 years for medicare insurance. If you do get SSI you stillmay be eligible for food stamps, but need to apply for that separately, in some states their is a additional amount of money already put in your SSI check such as in CAlifornia, which makes a peron not emtitled to food stamps. In 2011 the highest amount of SSI payment was $836 in CA , and the cost of living adjustment this amount went up a little . I do not know about other states. So as long as you meet the income requirements for SSI you will be approved, for SSDI their are not income requirements.
Since you have 20 years work experience this is enough for you to qualify for SSDI, that is a better program because usually a person on SSDI will recieve a higher benefit amount.

Last edited by mscat40; 01-17-2012 at 01:01 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
sinnamonspice1 (01-18-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

What I do not understand Mscat is she said she now has to wait on the non-medical. If she is eligible for SSDI and not SSI, the determination for non-medical (make sure the claimant has enough work credits, for example) is usually done @ the beginning.

SSI = poor and blind
SSI = poor and disabled
SSI = poor and elderly

SSDI = disabled and enough work credits to qualify

Old 01-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
What I do not understand Mscat is she said she now has to wait on the non-medical. If she is eligible for SSDI and not SSI, the determination for non-medical (make sure the claimant has enough work credits, for example) is usually done @ the beginning.

SSI = poor and blind
SSI = poor and disabled
SSI = poor and elderly

SSDI = disabled and enough work credits to qualify
I see what your saying Blueskies , anytime i have seen a letter about being approved for the medical part , and they have not yet decided if your approved for the nin medical part it is to check and see if the claimant qualifies for SSI. Example: I was also sent that kind of letter, and had to go down to the SS office, first I talked to a woman about SSI and then someone talked to me about SSDI , I was given a choice on what I wanted to be on, i chose SSDI, so it is possible for a claimant to be eligible for both programs and be able to decide which program to be on. Yes, SSDI usually pays more then SSI , and sometimes a claimant can have both is the SSDI is low , but she has said she worked 20 years, and that is plenty time to have enough work credits, i also had worked over 20 years too. For me , the SSI was figured out first , then the SSDI, once i found out SSDI was a better choice I went with it. A claimant can still have limited resources , disabled , and meet both requirements for SSI or SSDI.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
(female)

sinnamonspice1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
If you qualify for SSDI, you can have a million dollars in the bank and several cars. It is unusual they (SSA) want to determine if you qualify for the non-medical part after being approved for the medical part. 20+ years of work certainly qualifies you for SSDI, sinnamonspice1.

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/icons/icon5.gifsinnamonspice1? When did you apply for disability? How much time elapsed from when you stopped working to the time you filed for disability? Was your 20 plus years of work continuous or broken up into segments over many years?
I applied in June 2011. I last worked September 2010. It was pretty continuous work for all 20+ yrs as I am only 39.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
(female)

sinnamonspice1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
Congradulations on your approval for the medical part. The non medical part means that a SSI represenative will look at your income and assest to make sure you fall within the guidelines for SSI. SSI is for disabled people that do not have a high resources and meet their strict income guidelines. The resources for SSI is not to exceed $2000 . A person is able to have 1 car that will n ot count as a resource and 1 home that will not count. Other things like owning property , or anther car or home would count. You will get a appointment to see social security rep. at your nearset S.S office they will ask you to bring your paycheck stubs, bank account information , birth certifficate , social security card and utility statement. THeir will be automatic deductions that will not count as a resource. If you are going to get any backp pay it will be paid in increments not to exceed $2000 , they will give you 6 months to spend down the money to give you time to do this otherwise it wil be counted as a resource, so be careful not to have any more money in a bank account that exceeds the limit. Their is no waiting period for SSI like their is for SSDI so you should be getting backpay. SSI income is always calculated first, then if you are entitled to SSDI benefits that wil also be figured out, if your SSDI is large, you will not have SSI , but SSDI benefits instead, if your SSDI payment is little , then you could also recive a SSI payment . For SSI you will automatically get Medicaid, for SSDI you have to wait 2 years for medicare insurance. If you do get SSI you stillmay be eligible for food stamps, but need to apply for that separately, in some states their is a additional amount of money already put in your SSI check such as in CAlifornia, which makes a peron not emtitled to food stamps. In 2011 the highest amount of SSI payment was $836 in CA , and the cost of living adjustment this amount went up a little . I do not know about other states. So as long as you meet the income requirements for SSI you will be approved, for SSDI their are not income requirements.
Since you have 20 years work experience this is enough for you to qualify for SSDI, that is a better program because usually a person on SSDI will recieve a higher benefit amount.
I qualified for SSDI and will receive backpay from Sept 2010 to present.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #12
(female)

sinnamonspice1 HB User

Evidently, they completed the Non-Medical at the beginning and I was not aware of it. I called the 800# today, and they told me my monthly amount, my backpay amount, and I went to the local office to get an award letter to back all of this up. I did not receive a call or appt to meet with a SS rep.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
(female)

I am very happy for you, things seem to be moving on quickly for you and your benefits should be starting soon. Again congradulations on your approval

Old 01-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Congrats on your approval.

Closed Thread