It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
(male)

MOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB User
Do attorneys ever really say if you have a case?

Sorry but I'm starting to lose my mind. Just wondering if besides the 1st time someone takes your case do they ever mention during a call or anything say if you have some sort of case? Mine said it at the start but I'm sure they all do and they had no records in front of them at the time just what I told them. I know I'm not their only case but to me I am. Thanks guys for all the info.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User
Re: Do attorneys ever really say if you have a case?

I think the lawyer would not of took your case if they didn't think you could win, But They may not want to come out and say you will win 100%. Like at the lawyer I had the intake person was so nice but the paralegal was kind of cold and said she could not reassure me if I would win she said her self she never tells anybody if she is sure they will win. So I was always on edge because she would not resure me. Although after she gather my medical records and filed my stuff she was some what better to me but still would resure me. Then when I got denied at the first level she was mad and said I should of got approved but I got approved at the recon level. so just because your paralegel doesn't come out and reasure you keep the faith it just maybe the way they are. Hang in there Monsterpete.

The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
MOnsterpete (02-01-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOnsterpete View Post
Sorry but I'm starting to lose my mind. Just wondering if besides the 1st time someone takes your case do they ever mention during a call or anything say if you have some sort of case? Mine said it at the start but I'm sure they all do and they had no records in front of them at the time just what I told them. I know I'm not their only case but to me I am. Thanks guys for all the info.
Hi Pete,

When I first became disabled I applied for SSDI by myself and as was declined like the vast majority of claimants.I then decided to call/hire one of the best/well known SSDI lawyers in my area.

The initial phone was " great......c'mon in". Upon meeting with him,we discussed my situation and he "looked over" my medical records and basically said it was a slam dunk.However after signing all of the necessary documents with the firm....the gung ho' mentality slooooooowly declined to a more intense,professional,and serious relationship leading up to my ALJ hearing.There were many frustrating calls but I still felt an attorney that specializes in this field was my best option.My only contact after that (for the most part) was updating my records,forwarding doctors opinions,etc

As I have said a million times here,IMO it is best to have an attorney through this long and tedious process.Although there were times when my frustration level was extremely high..........you have a much better chance of approval with counsel.

In other words....if you are going to court for anything but the most basic traffic ticket.............would you go by yourself?

Not me

GL,
Ferd

Last edited by ferd144; 02-01-2012 at 02:38 PM.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ferd144 For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (02-01-2012), MOnsterpete (02-01-2012), NElady (02-01-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrangran View Post
I think the lawyer would not of took your case if they didn't think you could win, But They may not want to come out and say you will win 100%. Like at the lawyer I had the intake person was so nice but the paralegal was kind of cold and said she could not reassure me if I would win she said her self she never tells anybody if she is sure they will win. So I was always on edge because she would not resure me. Although after she gather my medical records and filed my stuff she was some what better to me but still would resure me. Then when I got denied at the first level she was mad and said I should of got approved but I got approved at the recon level. so just because your paralegel doesn't come out and reasure you keep the faith it just maybe the way they are. Hang in there Monsterpete.
jgrangran is right. Many won't take your claim if they think your chances of approval are dismal.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
MOnsterpete (02-01-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
jgrangran is right. Many won't take your claim if they think your chances of approval are dismal.
I agree too. Attorneys usually do not want to waste time on a case they don't think they can win.

The Following User Says Thank You to gayle428 For This Useful Post:
MOnsterpete (02-01-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

NElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle4102 View Post
I agree too. Attorneys usually do not want to waste time on a case they don't think they can win.
I too, agree with all of the above. I asked my attorney when I was first there if he thought I had a case, and he said I wouldn't be sitting in that chair if he thought I didn't have a case. He said they get calls all day, and they only take a handful of them on as clients. He said that they want to be sure they will win because they don't get paid if they don't win. So I really think that your attorney thinks you will win, or they wouldn't have taken your case.

The Following User Says Thank You to NElady For This Useful Post:
MOnsterpete (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 02:03 AM   #7
(male)

PanicAttacker HB UserPanicAttacker HB UserPanicAttacker HB UserPanicAttacker HB UserPanicAttacker HB UserPanicAttacker HB UserPanicAttacker HB UserPanicAttacker HB User

Well my Lawyer Pre-screened/Interviewed me over the phone before taking my case. She asked me alot of questions, Then told me she thought I had a good case and scheduled me to come in person. I think they know by initial talk and even after before we went to the judge she stated to me she was 95% sure it was a slam dunk case and after we walked out of courtroom she gave me a thumbs up...the confirmation is really comforting along the way..though not 100%

The following user gives a hug of support to PanicAttacker:
jgrangran (02-02-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to PanicAttacker For This Useful Post:
MOnsterpete (02-02-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

I have to chime in -in agreement here.

Your atty only gets paid if he wins. (Unless you signed some other agreement) So he's only going to take cases that weigh in HIS favor = a win for you.

This is what has kept me to some degree sane. I, like you, have felt the close/distant relationship with my atty. At first, he was all nicey nice. Then as things went on, he pulled away & I became more of the paralegals client (if you follow that thought).

Then I got the ALJ hearing confirmation letter in Nov for Feb. Until last week, nada. Now, in the last7 days I've talked to him 3 times, the para twice.

But be prepared.. seems as tho, after this morning, he wants me to go to a doctor I was referred to by my ortho, that the para said not do bother since they wanted $1000.00 cash - no insurance accepted. When this came up last Sept, I thought it was a done deal not to go.. As of this morning he seemed edgy to me to go now. He didn't come out and say to, but said it COULD benefit my case - he said of course, he can't guarentee anything. (Which of course he has to say)

So now I sit here, going over every inch of his brief to the ALJ, noting corrections of dates & basic facts etc, while I am distracted over RE-deciding again about going to this Physiatrist. My hearing is Feb 14. And really annoyed, that after 2 years he couldn't even spell my name right on this brief.

So I took a deep breath - then I said to myself... remember, he only gets paid if he wins..

So I melted down (again) dried my tears.. and took a break & came here to ya'll, where I always find warmth and friendship (even tho I don't post). Ya'll are the best!. Thank you to everyone for being so supportive and informative. You've pretty much helped keep me centered when I was pulling out my hair.

Last edited by Jacki345; 02-03-2012 at 08:59 AM.

The following 6 users give hugs of support to: Jacki345
BlueSkies14 (02-03-2012), ferd144 (02-03-2012), gayle428 (02-03-2012), jgrangran (02-03-2012), MOnsterpete (02-03-2012), NElady (02-03-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacki345 For This Useful Post:
MOnsterpete (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

I have personally always enjoyed your posts Jacki and listening to your POV.
I really have my fingers crossed for you in your upcoming ALJ. It has gotta be even more frustrating tho when you lose confidence in your attorney but like you said, he gets nothing unless he can get you approved.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
Jacki345 (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

I whole hearty agree with Blueskies14, We are pulling for you. Hang in there I know its hard very very hard. You have been thru so much and you can do this. I will definety keep all my toes and fingers and prayers your way. Sure hope its favorable and maybe before you even go into to see the judge hopefullly maybe even an OTR keep the faith. We are all hoping favorable for you.

The following user gives a hug of support to jgrangran:
Jacki345 (02-03-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
Jacki345 (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

NElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB User

Praying for you Jacki!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to NElady For This Useful Post:
Jacki345 (02-03-2012)
Closed Thread