It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 02:46 AM   #1
(female)

stepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB User
Guess what happend at the ALJ hearing today!

Hi all, well this is not about me, but my friend. She applied for SSI/SSD in 2010, been denied twice, and is now at the ALJ level. This is her 2nd time, same ALJ judge. Her last hearing was Aug 2011. At the times, the judge needed more proof, paperwork on her illness, which is Fibraymilagia(sp), and depression, and OCTD, and spinal stenosis.

So the last hearing was in Aug, the judge postponed the case till all this information can be gathered for him to view. Well today was suppose to be her 2nd hearing, now that all the information was in. Well I went with her and we sat and waited for her attorney. We were told by his assistant to meet him there at 10:30 am, the appointment in front of judge was to be at 11 am.

Well about 10:55 am a court rep came up and said the judge had to postpone today's hearing because her lawyer was sick, and could not make it. So now we guess her court date will be put out another 6 month to a year.

We were not so upset thet lawyer was sick, things happen, however someone could have called her in advance before she made the long journey. Also why don't these guys have assistants to use as backup.

She is very upset, to have to wait longer, she is just holding on as it is. So I tried to cheer her up, but I know what she is going through, we all do.

Interested in hearing your thoughts on this, Thanks....

Old 02-10-2012, 04:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User
Re: Guess what happend at the ALJ hearing today!

Just another horrible stone to throw atsomeone really waiting until the last mintues to tell that person, I think they were probly scrambling to replace her but couldn't. Hopefully they will not make her wait weeks and weeks maybe she will be able to rechudle next week. Sorry about your friend. please keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
(female)

stepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB Userstepmum54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrangran View Post
Just another horrible stone to throw atsomeone really waiting until the last mintues to tell that person, I think they were probly scrambling to replace her but couldn't. Hopefully they will not make her wait weeks and weeks maybe she will be able to rechudle next week. Sorry about your friend. please keep us posted.
Thanks for your response. I just talked to Marie (my friend), and she called her lawyer, and they told her that with the heavy docket in the ALJ court, her case will not be looked at till July or as late as September. So be cause of this postponement, she may have to wait another 6-7 months.

This just does not seem right to me. Soscial Security treats sick people terrible, there has to be a solution, where the boys in Washington can straighten up this mess.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

I agree they need to make changes I just hope it doesn't make the process more worse. I hope you and your friend have a good week-end despite the horrible thing that happened

The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
stepmum54 (02-11-2012)
Old 02-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

your poor friend, that has to have been so upsetting , thinking that she may had possibly been approved today, then to find out her Lawyer is sick and postponed the hearing , then having to wait anther 6-7 months? That sounds like torture to me, or undo emotional stress. It is too bad the Lawyer did not have a assistant to be able to go and take over . i understand people get sick, but not to find out after waiting that long and then learing about the situation is , to me, highly unprofessional on the Lawyer's part . I hope he was not to be paid for todays no show. When these things happens it hurts badly, I would of been in tears if that was me .

Old 02-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

I agree. She should have been notified in advance. This sorta stuff makes you lose confidence in your attorney. Tell your friend to hang in there. This had to be a huge disappointment for your friend.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:53 AM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
I agree. She should have been notified in advance. This sorta stuff makes you lose confidence in your attorney. Tell your friend to hang in there. This had to be a huge disappointment for your friend.
Yeah, a huge disappointment, she is really depressed now. what can you so, just keep holding on. We all can relate to the slow steady torture. I can picture a Social Security rep, pulling wings off of butterflies, just for a hobby.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:00 AM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
your poor friend, that has to have been so upsetting , thinking that she may had possibly been approved today, then to find out her Lawyer is sick and postponed the hearing , then having to wait anther 6-7 months? That sounds like torture to me, or undo emotional stress. It is too bad the Lawyer did not have a assistant to be able to go and take over . i understand people get sick, but not to find out after waiting that long and then learing about the situation is , to me, highly unprofessional on the Lawyer's part . I hope he was not to be paid for todays no show. When these things happens it hurts badly, I would of been in tears if that was me .
Hi Mscat, yes she was in tears, still is. I agree these law offices should have assistance, because one oops, and you wind up waiting another year. I really do not understand why she had to have a second hearing, all the judge needed was additional paperwork. You would think he could make a decision once he got the paperwork he needed, not wait 6 months for another hearing.

I can tell you this, after this, her depression is going to get worse. I am checking up on her and plan a visit on sunday. I will keep you all posted, thanks.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmum54 View Post
Hi Mscat, yes she was in tears, still is. I agree these law offices should have assistance, because one oops, and you wind up waiting another year. I really do not understand why she had to have a second hearing, all the judge needed was additional paperwork. You would think he could make a decision once he got the paperwork he needed, not wait 6 months for another hearing.

I can tell you this, after this, her depression is going to get worse. I am checking up on her and plan a visit on sunday. I will keep you all posted, thanks.
I can't imagine how disappointed she is. I personally have had enough of the waiting... On the other hand, who knows - it could be a blessing in disguise.

As much as I've b!tched about my atty, I don't think I would want anyone else sitting next to me at this point. They don't know the case as he does, and they are basically 'chair filling'. I sure don't want a chair filler.

Who knows, the judge may have been in a lousy mood about anything from traffic to office clerks to he hates his job 'today'.. - and this waiting time could be the best thing - you may get assigned a different judge who's decisions are more favorable. MAYBE that is why the atty was sick. I have read that when something of this nature happens, due to the backlog, they likely assign a different judge. Its not going to happen anymore.. the tricks are all over with -- (I think thanks to those cases in Jersy/Pa where the judge and an atty were washing each others back)

Look at it as a glass half full. To her I am certain she feels dreadful.. but it may come out to be the best thing.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I would hope her attorney could petition the judge for an expedited hearing due to the issue with illness. In the meantime she needs to continue seeing doctors to maintain updated medical information and then make sure when the hearing is scheduled she has more medical information to support her case.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
(female)

stephk HB User

i have a second hearing why i dont understand why i have to have another one

Old 06-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
(female)

stephk HB User
Re: Guess what happend at the ALJ hearing!

well i had my 1st hearing and alj wants me to c there pysic doctor so i did and now i am seeing my own pysic doc cuz i was just getting my meds by my regular doc now the judge wants me to have a second hearing and i go tomarrow again with my attorney has anyone now or have had this done to them

Closed Thread