It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User
Pondering - employers

This is a question that baffles me, and makes me wonder why a judge would deny some one who is unemployable.

Especially in todays world, why would an employer hire someone who has serious health issues such as bad back, neck, knee's, hands etc. Many people with these issues could actually hurt themselves worse if forced to work.
Not to mention the drugs that are taken to hold back the pain, could also influence decisions made on the job, in fact over all job performance in both instances would be negatively affected.

If one was to apply for a job, and do not disclose the problems they have, then they can be dismissed for lying. If they are required to take a drug test, then they won't be hired for being on drugs, even tho it is a legal prescription...

Also of late, have you noticed that now if you happen to be pulled over for any reason, ie, speeding, or have a car accident, and the police suspect that you may be 'under the influence' even tho you are not 'stoned' (for lack of any other word) but he suspects (see's pill bottles in your purse) or you've mentioned you take pain meds, you now get that nice little DUI (driving under the influence). Granted, driving to/from work is not a part of work, (unless driving is a part of the job itself) but seriously, there are tons of folks out there today that are having pain issues taking legal prescribed meds and can easily go to jail as if they blew a 2.0 (alcohol) in a .05 world.

So what does a person do in such cases?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User
Re: Pondering - employers

You know I have been thinking about that a lot I mean the way it is today the cream of the crop get hired only the best get the jobs so that puts all others on the back burner. And yes about that med thing I heard on TV they were going to crank down on driving while taking meds even cold meds. LOL but in all serious the meds do cloud your judgement be it at work are driving. Not to change the subject I have told my family member if I ever get stop and had to take a achol. test I would fail it simpley because of my C/P you can't tell I have it intill I start walking and then I can't even walk a straight line. And I can't even repeat a series of number are letters all of that has gotten worse over the years but honestly even in my younger years I worried about getting stop in that fear I don't drink but police officers don't know that I'm sure everyone they stop say they only had two beers LOL Anyway I really should take into account how your disability effects your job chances I know they ask the VOC. experts any jobs you (MAY) be able to do but who would hire a person that have consitent health issues your right its hard out there and getting harder. Good Luck tommorow.

The following user gives a hug of support to jgrangran:
Jacki345 (02-17-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
Jacki345 (02-17-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

jgrangran, a retired judge/former atty friend of mine years ago when they really started ramping up on DUIs (not a SS atty) told me NEVER do a breathalyzer, blood or urine test or road side sobriety. You'll go to jail and lose your license (In Florida) but if you have had a drink or in our case taken prescribed medication they will throw the book at you - and if you submit to those tests you've given them the tools to do it with.

He said not to be rude, but you kindly refuse, do not talk more than a yes/no if possible (remember they are likely recording you) don't say anything other than you want an atty and then of course you'll need an atty coz you'll be arrested, but you'd need an atty anyway - The difference being this way they can only say 'they suspect' the driver to be under the influence' not have the breathalyzer results/blood sample or recorded road side sobriety test to show. (Florida I believe suspends your driving privileges for 1 year for refusal.)

If you shoot and kill someone, you don't have to tell anybody squat but you are allowed to call your atty; NOT so if you are suspected of being under the influence. So these prescribed medications are now beginning to be treated as drinking or like being stoned. If someone is abusing, thats one thing, but you can't paint everyone with the same brush.

Last edited by Jacki345; 02-13-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

All of that infomation is very good to know. I will keep it in mined It really makes you think it is reality and everyone needs to take note. It really could happen to any of us at any time. We all take some form of drugs for our medical conditions and we really need to be aware. Thanks again for the informantion. I hope your able to pass the day I know its going to be a l-o-n-g day and l-o-n-g night Good Luck. Thanks again for the information.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

I agree this is all very good information to remember. If you have to wear prescrption glassess then always do so while driving, I just found out I need them now and should NOT have been driving, I was right on the line. So now i have to worry about the side affects of my medications i have to worry about how iI can see while driving. i've ordered my glasses and got a pair of prescritpion sun glasses too, the other ones I am suppose to wear all the time. I habe my brother drive me places a lot of times, but I don't like how he handles my car, he ia a little aggressive , and it is the only car i have .
As for ever going back to work, i would need to see if I could go to Voc Rehab. I do not think i will ever go back to teaching. But thats ok. I understand that i will have the same mental health issues as before, and working around people or even being around others does not fly well with me. I do not know if I will have to stay on SSDI for a very long time , but so far it has been so .

Last edited by mscat40; 02-13-2012 at 02:49 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to mscat40:
jgrangran (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
I agree this is all very good information to remember. If you have to wear prescrption glassess then always do so while driving, I just found out I need them now and should NOT have been driving, I was right on the line. So now i have to worry about the side affects of my medications i have to worry about how iI can see while driving. i've ordered my glasses and got a pair of prescritpion sun glasses too, the other ones I am suppose to wear all the time. I habe my brother drive me places a lot of times, but I don't like how he handles my car, he ia a little aggressive , and it is the only car i have .
As for ever going back to work, i would need to see if I could go to Voc Rehab. I do not think i will ever go back to teaching. But thats ok. I understand that i will have the same mental health issues as before, and working around people or even being around others does not fly well with me. I do not know if I will have to stay on SSDI for a very long time , but so far it has been so .
If I had to go bak to work I wold have no problem as long as all I had to do was drive a Hilo and no more walking. After doing it so long it's like riding a bike you never forget. I might need a refreahser on the wms warehouse management system.

The following user gives a hug of support to vann04:
jgrangran (02-13-2012)
Closed Thread