It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #61
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User
Re: I have questions

I have a question did anyone hear on the news they were going to tap into ssa fund. and they were talking about so many people getting on ssdi because lack of employment and the way the media talked it was so easy to just get ssdi they have no clue. and one person was saying since people were more healthyier they were living longer that the new retirement age should be close to 70 and that the age of 60 was like the age of 50. It was on foxs news I'm sure you could google it.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #62
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
I say "due to severe spine issues my employer encouraged me to accept disability retirement and it was the best option". In reality I made the decision with my doctors that continuing work wasn't the best option, applied for employer STD and then employer LTD and with LTD they require you apply for SSDI since SSDI is deducted from my LTD payment (some people think I get my full LTD and my full SSDI, but that's not the way it works, I wish it did!!!).

Since I'm 45 the term disability retirement answers questions for some people. If you reach age 60 it's easier to just say "early retirement " as that's understood well by others once you hit age 60.
Same thing with me Spine. A HR lady who was touring the various production plants sat me down and told me point blank that LTD was the best option for me and she was right even tho I did not want to hear this when she said it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #63
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
(some people think I get my full LTD and my full SSDI, but that's not the way it works, I wish it did!!!).
Yeah, me too Spine...talk about sweet!

Old 02-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #64
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrangran View Post
I have a question did anyone hear on the news they were going to tap into ssa fund. and they were talking about so many people getting on ssdi because lack of employment and the way the media talked it was so easy to just get ssdi they have no clue. and one person was saying since people were more healthyier they were living longer that the new retirement age should be close to 70 and that the age of 60 was like the age of 50. It was on foxs news I'm sure you could google it.
I am certain they will eventually raise the SSNRA jgrangran to 70.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #65
Inactive
(male)

I think people are definitely living longer due to modern medical technology will many ppl argue whether we are actually living healthier. In many cases, they can keep you alive sick longer. I don't know about anyone else here but at the EOL, I don't wanna be kept alive with machines and drugs with no quality of life...just lemme die with dignity and keep me pain free at the end.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #66
Veteran
(female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOnsterpete View Post
If its this hard to get on it, it has to be even harder if you fake it IMO.
Hi Pete,

This is the way I look at the current disability situation.If you are LEGITIMATELY disabled you should eventually be approved,unless something truly goes horribly wrong(unlucky ALJ draw,an incompetent lawyer,mishandled or incorrect doctors info,bad timing,BS claim,etc.).

On the other hand I would venture to say,that there are just as many fraudulent/scam/and borderline cases that ruin it for the many deserving folks who are suffering each day,waiting years to receive disability that rightfully paid into the system .I am obviously talking about SSDI and can assume SSI might be even more rampant with abuse,with claimants basically contributing nothing monetarily.

Anyone that is scamming the system,is cheating every honest hardworking taxpayer and should be prosecuted.The entire SSDI application process is becoming a joke and will eventually die a a slow death for our children,and their children

The last few weeks there has been a huge number of approvals on this board,and hopefully each and every one of them deserved a fully favorable decision

Just my honest opinion,
Ferd144

Last edited by ferd144; 02-24-2012 at 05:00 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to ferd144 For This Useful Post:
MOnsterpete (02-24-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #67
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferd144 View Post
Hi Pete,

This is the way I look at the current disability situation.If you are LEGITIMATELY disabled you should eventually be approved,unless something truly goes horribly wrong(unlucky ALJ draw,an incompetent lawyer,mishandled or incorrect doctors info,bad timing,BS claim,etc.).

On the other hand I would venture to say,that there are just as many fraudulent/scam/and borderline cases that ruin it for the many deserving folks who are suffering each day,waiting years to receive disability that rightfully paid into the system .I am obviously talking about SSDI and can assume SSI might be even more rampant with abuse,with claimants basically contributing nothing monetarily.

Anyone that is scamming the system,is cheating every honest hardworking taxpayer and should be prosecuted.The entire SSDI application process is becoming a joke and will eventually die a a slow death for our children,and their children

The last few weeks there has been a huge number of approvals on this board,and hopefully each and every one of them deserved a fully favorable decision

Just my honest opinion,
Ferd144
I think you are right Ferd as much as we hate to talk about it. I do think the majority of people who apply for SSDI have medical conditions that make working a full-time job with acceptable absenteeism due to sickness to an employer unacceptable, thus file legitimate claims for disability. There will always be cheats Ferd. They catch some and some people will get away with it for a lifetime. It is unfortunate but a reality. What you told Pete is true tho. If you are truly disabled, you will eventually get approval I think. Have a terrific weekend everyone.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #68
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
This is very sad IMHO
It is sad Fred. This person is on SSI and my mother is on SS retirement. This person is actually her niece. My mother and her sister are always talking about it and how bad it is what she is doing and how bad it makes it for everyone else but that is as far as they take it. I don't think they would ever report her. This girl has never worked in her life and probably never will.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #69
(male)

MOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB User

Quote:
Hi Pete,

Just my honest opinion,
Ferd144
Well Ferd
The way I look at it is if it's true cause I seem to always believe in the good of people, they have to be able to fool a whole lot of people for an approval. A few Dr.'s, a lawyer, and a judge. I guess they can do it but lord how can it be worthwhile waiting 2-3 years for a few bucks. I guess this is just a lesson for me to learn.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: MOnsterpete
ferd144 (02-25-2012), jgrangran (02-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to MOnsterpete For This Useful Post:
ferd144 (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #70
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

It all over the news that 1.5 million people have filed for SSD since losing their jobs..they are saying that they are mentally unwell due to not working.

If they knew how hard it is and the length of time they have to do without I'm sure they'd rethink their mental illness.

When people ask me why I'm not working I tell them I took a early retirement..I get in a month what I made in a week so thinking that someone is getting rich off SSD is a pipe dream.

I know people who are collecting and working 'under the table' and I also know people who have been caught and are now serving some time for defrauding the gov't..although it seems like SSD isn't watching they are..they hire people to take pictures of the disabled working.

We can work and make half of what we collect or if we work and make the same as we collect we will lose the benefits..its a lose lose situation it seems.

If I could go back to my job I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Have a nice week-end all

~Belle~

Old 02-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #71
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

Quote:
I say "due to severe spine issues my employer encouraged me to accept disability retirement and it was the best option". In reality I made the decision with my doctors that continuing work wasn't the best option, applied for employer STD and then employer LTD and with LTD they require you apply for SSDI since SSDI is deducted from my LTD payment (some people think I get my full LTD and my full SSDI, but that's not the way it works, I wish it did!!!).

Since I'm 45 the term disability retirement answers questions for some people. If you reach age 60 it's easier to just say "early retirement " as that's understood well by others once you hit age 60.
Spine,
Thats why I thought just to say retired. So far when I have said retired, they said you're awfully young to be retired (I'm 55) aren't you, you must be rich. HA -- I wish!.

But that has been the response so far. However, I was retirement eligible with the company I worked for at the time I left and I received all the retirement benefits as tho I had stayed until 65. In fact, now that I've stopped to think about it, I'll probably fair better at the end of it all, as benefits company's offer are becoming less and less and they are taking back benefits from the ones who already have them. Who knows what 10 years down the road would have meant had I stuck around.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #72
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

I also say I'm retired they also say you look so young and I just tell them I am older than I might look.

The following user gives a hug of support to jgrangran:
Jacki345 (02-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
Jacki345 (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #73
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
I think people are definitely living longer due to modern medical technology will many ppl argue whether we are actually living healthier. In many cases, they can keep you alive sick longer. I don't know about anyone else here but at the EOL, I don't wanna be kept alive with machines and drugs with no quality of life...just lemme die with dignity and keep me pain free at the end.
I believe the main reason people are living longer is that we do eat healthier; Aside from that, the jobs of 75 - 100 years ago are quite different than todays work life and not so hard on a body.

We do not use the same chemicals around the house, on our food source etc, of even 15 years ago, much less of those from 50 - 100 years ago.

My personal fear is Alzheimers/dementia . My great grandmother had it as did her daughter/my grandmother. None of my great uncles had it. My dad did not (but he passed w/heart) and my mother passed with cancer. They have begun to make in roads, but nothing solid yet...

I know there are folks frauding for SSDI too. I just don't know HOW they do it. With all the hoops I had to jump thru (doctors, medical records - that even went back 17 years ago. Every doctors record that has me on their roster from 20 years ago (but I think my atty wanted it as back up) but it was all there.. even back then.

so when you put together I worked for over 40 years + the years of medical records and tests, MRIs operations, more tests more MRI (showing the progession of the problems) --------------- How does one fake this.
PLUS -- if you've never worked --how much could they get?? $300 a month? MUCH MUCH less the unemployment.

I know it is being done, I just don't the 'how' part at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jacki345 For This Useful Post:
MOnsterpete (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #74
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrangran View Post
Hiya jgrangran,

If one is receiving SSD, it should come from the SS fund - that is where the SSD money goes from our taxes.. That is not a change.

However, as WE ALL KNOW & can certainly testify to, getting/receiving SSD is NOT easy by any means. Wonder who told them it was easy? That person needs to be schooled a little.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #75
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

The max individual SSI benefit. Perhaps month, in most states, is around $650/mo (California provides a Supplement to that). I can't see living on $650/mo even if I had food stamps and section 8 housing.

Right now as it's election year most every candidate has a plan for SS funding. One I saw today was to increase the retirement age by one month at a time beginning in 2022. Years ago retirement was 65 and often forced by the employer. But they introduced a system that slowly increased full retirement age (SSNRA) to 67. My husband's SSNRA is 66 and 10 mo (born 1959) and mine would be 67. So it's the younger generation that may find SSNRA increasing to possibly 70 in 30 yr. Keep in mind there's a huge shift in thinking to SSR being a part of one's retirement, and pushing responsibility to employees to participate in 401K or 403b (depends on industry you work in) and IRAs. Ideally those who want to retire earlier have banked their own funds to do so. Many people now retire from their first career and pursue a second after that. I had a co-worker who knew our company's retirement and pension plan would eventually disappear. So at 63 when eligible for the full package she took it, retired, and went up 2 floors in the same building to work for the competition in the same role at similar salary with a signing bonus. She needs not apply for SSR and didn't need benefits from the new ins co she was going work for since her retirement package covered that for she answered her husband. Brilliant. Then if she was still working at 65, her SSNRA, she'd collect SSR too!

Closed Thread