It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
(female)

Leasy617 HB UserLeasy617 HB UserLeasy617 HB UserLeasy617 HB UserLeasy617 HB User
Question I have questions

I knew when I applied for my disability that it was a long long wait and the possibility of being denied was very great, so I made up my mind that I was just going to forget about it and take whatever comes and fight when the times comes if necessary. My anxiety is getting much worse (not worrying over the waiting), but now I am wondering about some things. I've already gotten a letter from SS saying they have received all my paperwork and if I had questions to call them or if they need more information they would call me. I filed back in December. IF they decide to send me to see one of their doctors, how long would it be before they would do that? I am guessing that I should have a decision by the last of April or the first of May.
My condition is deteriorating FAST. I am still working under SGA in a sheltered work program for people with disabilities, but I really don't know how long I can do this. The ONLY reason I am still there doing that little of work is because I HAVE to have some income. Although I wouldn't mind staying on once I do receive SS benefits (however long it takes me to get them), I just don't see that happening, not in my condition. Even though I am working on a very limited basis, I am still missing lots of work time due to my condition.
I'm not sure I will be sent to see a SS doctor, I have mental health records out the wazoo, but I was just wondering IF they sent me about how far into the process they would send me.

Leasy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User
Re: I have questions

leasy617, I really don't know what the time frame is it can vary from person to person place to place some people get a response back qucik and some don't there is no time table on it I know in my case I applied back in jan.2 and heard on april fools day it was a denial, then I appealed then heard 4months later it was an approval each stage for me took 4 months. But from this board I learned its case by case for whatever reason there are no time limits but I do know that once you get an appointment to go to there DR. then I think they have a certain time to get it into ssa. I didn't have to see there DR's eighter some people do and some don't. I was told sometimes working during applying does complcate thing even if its SGA because they don't just look at how much you make but other things to but then again it might be case by case again because I have read others have no problems work under SGA. I hope this helps you. I know soon other will post I think everyone is just busy they will get back to you hang in there.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

It just depends on your DDS worker and how long he will take evaluating your claim. If they need to send you to a CE then it is important to go. the CE exam does not take long. If they can decide without sending you to one of thier Dr's you wil get something in the mail , it can take 3-6 months to hear back , so Yes the waiting time is difficult. Everyone has to go through the process and it sucks. It is hard to tell how long it will be for you. But, try to keep your mind off of it. Working a little bit is good , I think. It tells them your making a effort , and they will see it is under the SGA limit. Keep going on with your claim and try not to worry , do the best you can and hope for the best outcome.

The following user gives a hug of support to mscat40:
NElady (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

I agree try to stay postive and try to stay busy time will pass faster that way.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

You're doing the right thing by going forward and forgetting about SSD until they contact you.

When I was going through the process I received a letter from SSD telling me that I had to see their doctor 2 days later..I have been told that when they decide you normally have to see their doctor within a week of receiving their letter.

I hope you're feeling somewhat better

~Belle~

Old 02-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
(female)

jl824 HB User

It took two years before I got my ssdi. I had three denials and then I had a hearing with the administrative law judge who granted my ssdi that day. I had to see social security doctors, xrays, physcological evaluation etc. I did everything they requested. It is a long drawn out process. I wonder if they think if you go to all the trouble than you must really be disabled. I wish you luck and perseverance. Hang in there!

Old 02-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl824 View Post
It took two years before I got my ssdi. I had three denials and then I had a hearing with the administrative law judge who granted my ssdi that day. I had to see social security doctors, xrays, physcological evaluation etc. I did everything they requested. It is a long drawn out process. I wonder if they think if you go to all the trouble than you must really be disabled. I wish you luck and perseverance. Hang in there!
You were denied 2 times then approved by the alj right?

Old 02-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
You were denied 2 times then approved by the alj right? Not denied 3 times

Old 02-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
(female)

jl824 HB User

you are right, I was denied twice and saw the ALJ

Old 02-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Same here jl824, took me about 20 months. I think the majority of us us have the exact same scenario. You said 3 denials before the ALJ...I think you meant two.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
Same here jl824, took me about 20 months. I think the majority of us us have the exact same scenario. You said 3 denials before the ALJ...I think you meant two.
Took me 12 mts. From start to finish

Old 02-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Out of work since 4/2009.
Covered by employer STD and LTD so wasn't in a hurry for SSDI.
LTD required I apply for LTD in summer 2010
Applied 8/2010 with attorney
SS required I visit consulting doctor of their choosing in 10/2010
Denied 12/2010
Appealed with attorney for reconsideration 01/2011
Denied reconsideration 06/2011
Attorney requested ALJ hearing 07/2011
In 08/2011 I was advised 8-16 mo before ALJ hearing
ALJ hearing set for 02/2012
5 days before hearing judge approved my SSDI with date of onset of 4/2009
Entire process took 18 mo

**In my case the judge said I did not fully meet any one single listing in the SS blue book, but the compilation of diagnoses, disorders, surgeries, and impairments were sufficient to show I was disabled. So not meeting a "listing" in the SS blue book likely caused somewhat of a delay. I have a friend with similar spine problems that applied when I did but her reconsideration stage lasted much longer for some reason. She too was approved the day I was (also lives here in AZ).

Old 02-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
Out of work since 4/2009.
Covered by employer STD and LTD so wasn't in a hurry for SSDI.
LTD required I apply for LTD in summer 2010
Applied 8/2010 with attorney
SS required I visit consulting doctor of their choosing in 10/2010
Denied 12/2010
Appealed with attorney for reconsideration 01/2011
Denied reconsideration 06/2011
Attorney requested ALJ hearing 07/2011
In 08/2011 I was advised 8-16 mo before ALJ hearing
ALJ hearing set for 02/2012
5 days before hearing judge approved my SSDI with date of onset of 4/2009
Entire process took 18 mo

**In my case the judge said I did not fully meet any one single listing in the SS blue book, but the compilation of diagnoses, disorders, surgeries, and impairments were sufficient to show I was disabled. So not meeting a "listing" in the SS blue book likely caused somewhat of a delay. I have a friend with similar spine problems that applied when I did but her reconsideration stage lasted much longer for some reason. She too was approved the day I was (also lives here in AZ).
I was just lucky my medical reports showed that I meet a blue book listing and was approved Otr by a senior attorney at the hearing office. Plus I asked my state rep. and it was a election year.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

Mine really took 23 months from start to finish. (see signiture line below for my process)

In addition to that, I left work in Aug 09, but didn't apply till March 2010;

I did my initial application, over the phone. My disabilities are low back, neck, & CTS) My reconsideration I also did over the phone.

I was sent to a psychologist twice; Without me getting out my records, I think they were: Once after my 1st appeal for reconsideration; 2nd time was after request for ALJ/hearing. Both appointments SSA set up were like 3-4 weeks out. I had plenty of notice.

May 2011 my records were pulled by the VSU (visual screening unit). My atty failed to update my medical records with SSA so the VSU dropped my case and put me back in line for the ALJ. (I think he purposely failed, so that he could maximize his pay out. Again, that is JMPO)

Approved in chambers 2/14/12 w/onset date back to 8/9/09;

Old 02-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sadley your probly right.

Closed Thread