HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Health Insurance Issues (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/health-insurance-issues/)
-   -   RSD and waiting for alj hearing.. (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/health-insurance-issues/890612-rsd-waiting-alj-hearing.html)

hatemyfeet 02-23-2012 08:52 AM

RSD and waiting for alj hearing..

Hi everyone, I would really appreciate and welcome any advice from fellow RSDers (or anybody else:) ), and hearing about what helped them the most at this stage. My alj is supposed to be in 6-9 months from now. What things can I be doing at this point to help my case? I have RSD in both feet (worst in that area), and I just want to make sure I am doing all the right things for my case. All of my doctors know that I have applied for SSDI and I also keep a pain journal. Don't know what else I can do on my own?? I would love any/all advice on what I can do from home to help myself. Thank you so much. :) Karen

gayle428 02-23-2012 09:36 AM

Re: RSD and waiting for alj hearing..

Hi

Keeping a pain journal is a great - even if you just jot down a few words every few days. Notes in the journal about your meds would be especially helpful ... even if it is just, 'today I took a xxx-pill, and it made me so dizzy, or I took xxx-pill, and it made my vision blurry the rest of the afternoon.' Things like that really help your case.

I am sure you know it is important to keep all your doctor appointments. Waiting is SO hard! Try to stay positive and keep busy.

Good luck and I hope everything goes well at your hearing. :wave:

BlueSkies14 02-23-2012 09:38 AM

Hi, I am not an RSD sufferer fortunately. Level 3 is where you have your best chance at being approved. You need to keep your lawyer abreast of any changes in your medical condition or Rx drug changes (dosages or actual drug changes) so that this info. gets entered into your SSDI claim file as evidence further supporting your claim for disability. How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I was approved at level 3 OTR so I did not have to appear live before an ALJ. Also, you don't wanna do any kind of work for pay even if it is below SGA. You need that approval at this stage and you don't wanna do anything that could jeopardize your claim. Keep seeing your doctor regularly. You still need to do this after approval but it is critical that you do it before. Good luck to you my friend. We have seen a lot of approvals on this board recently. Hopefully, you will join their ranks soon.;)

hatemyfeet 02-23-2012 10:00 AM

Thank you Gayle and BlueSkies. I am trying to do my journal everyday...it can be tough. I will pick it up everyday and jot something down even if its a evil day, thank you Gayle. :) I am 44 years old BlueSkies but I feel 82. ;) and I see my PM Dr every month. At this point in my treatment its a "keep 'er comfortable" if at all possible phase. I cant do some of the treatments until I have the money! So, I need the SSDI to get anywhere else. I am sure you know where I am at. :) Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement...I do love these boards, don't know what I would do without all the people on here. Thanks again you guys. :) Karen

BlueSkies14 02-23-2012 10:19 AM

That is good you see the PM doc monthly. Have you had any failed surgeries, other treatments or anything like that....that just did not work? It sounds to me like you have reached MMI and your doc has said all I can do now is try and keep you comfortable with meds. This should definitely help your SSDI claim. When did you initially apply? Did you apply immediately after you stopped working or did you wait a while? I think people should apply immediately when they are no longer able to continue working due to their medical condition.

BelleoftheSouth 02-23-2012 10:27 AM

My sister was injured at work and RSD set in..she filed for SSD and was approved within 3 months.

I have wondered if there are certain times when a person hits the SSD just right:confused:

Take care:angel:

~Belle~

hatemyfeet 02-23-2012 10:29 AM

[QUOTE=BlueSkies14;4933058]That is good you see the PM doc monthly. Have you had any failed surgeries, other treatments or anything like that....that just did not work? It sounds to me like you have reached MMI and your doc has said all I can do now is try and keep you comfortable with meds. This should definitely help your SSDI claim. When did you initially apply? Did you apply immediately after you stopped working or did you wait a while? I think people should apply immediately when they are no longer able to continue working due to their medical condition.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I have had some treatments fail, but I do still have some open to me they are just very expensive. :( and they are still trying med after med to help with my pain. Its a hit and miss process. I applied about a month or so after dx. Did not get a dx until after 6 months of having RSD...drs are not good at seeing this disease. So, my PM Dr has other treatments I just need the money to try them.

BlueSkies14 02-23-2012 10:29 AM

[QUOTE=BelleoftheSouth;4933068]My sister was injured at work and RSD set in..she filed for SSD and was approved within 3 months.

I have wondered if there are certain times when a person hits the SSD just right:confused:

~Belle~[/QUOTE]Thanks Belle, how old was your sis? 3 months is super quick!

BelleoftheSouth 02-23-2012 10:38 AM

She was 35 at the time. I had a friend who was fully favored for SSD within 3 months also.

~Belle~

hatemyfeet 02-23-2012 10:38 AM

[QUOTE=BelleoftheSouth;4933068]My sister was injured at work and RSD set in..she filed for SSD and was approved within 3 months.

~Belle~[/QUOTE]
Good for her! That is awesome and gives me hope!!. :) Thanks Belle :) Karen

ferd144 02-23-2012 10:44 AM

Start a daily journal ,keeping track of doctor appointments,X-Rays/MRI's,your complete med schedule,surgeries,diet,and anything of importance on any given day.This will not only help your lawyers/doctors,but help you keep track of everything w/o worrying about forgetting things that may be important at your ALJ hearing

It helped me a ton..........and I still keep a daily journal/log

GL,
Ferd144;)