It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
(female)

Alexandersmama HB UserAlexandersmama HB User
Sent a Packet of Forms to Fill Out

Well SSI is really on the ball now. I applied not even 3 weeks ago and in the mail today I got a big packet of stuff to fill out aboiut all the jobs i've held in the past 15 years and my daily living and stuff. I honestly do not remember every job i've had in the past 15 yrs. In my interview the ssi intake guy was mentioning jobs to me and I was like oh yea I had honestly forgotten I had had them. My memory is terrible. I have bipolar and borderline personality disorder. I just got back on my meds after a 2 yr hiatus and haven't seen a dr in 2 years due to insurance issues. My old dr stopped taking my insurance and I had a terrible time finding a dr who would take my insurance and then I got lazy. I have 5 kids. I know that doesn't look good for me in ssi's eyes does it? What do I do in that regard? I am willing to see any dr they wish to send me to. I've been sparadoic with treatment though. I don't know what to do in regards to that. I am in treatment now though. What do I do in regards to this packet? I am filling it out and sending it back. Just not sure exactly what to say? THanks.

The following user gives a hug of support to Alexandersmama:
jgrangran (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
(female)

youtoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB User
Re: Sent a Packet of Forms to Fill Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandersmama View Post
Well SSI is really on the ball now. I applied not even 3 weeks ago and in the mail today I got a big packet of stuff to fill out aboiut all the jobs i've held in the past 15 years and my daily living and stuff. I honestly do not remember every job i've had in the past 15 yrs. In my interview the ssi intake guy was mentioning jobs to me and I was like oh yea I had honestly forgotten I had had them. My memory is terrible. I have bipolar and borderline personality disorder. I just got back on my meds after a 2 yr hiatus and haven't seen a dr in 2 years due to insurance issues. My old dr stopped taking my insurance and I had a terrible time finding a dr who would take my insurance and then I got lazy. I have 5 kids. I know that doesn't look good for me in ssi's eyes does it? What do I do in that regard? I am willing to see any dr they wish to send me to. I've been sparadoic with treatment though. I don't know what to do in regards to that. I am in treatment now though. What do I do in regards to this packet? I am filling it out and sending it back. Just not sure exactly what to say? THanks.

Actually the part about being lazy is more than likely not at all true with five kids and an illness you where more than likely just overwhelmed by it all. And not keeping up with your own care is a symptom of bi-polar. Just be truthful in filling the forms out .

The following user gives a hug of support to youtoo1955:
jgrangran (02-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
(female)

thank you. So basally it may work in my favor that i've been so spotty in my medical care, for lack of a better word? I'm filling it out, to the best of my ability. They did mention I may need to meet with one of their drs, which I have absolutely no problems with. My son did that for his disability(he's deaf) and I believe that pushed him to get approved.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Do the best you can filling out the forms. It is long , so take breaks in between times so it is easier for you. Maybe your husband can remember the names of some of your old jobs? Even your kids might? Sounds like you already had your telephone interview, so things are going along well for you. Be sure to list all the medications you take and what type of side effects they have on you, that is important , especially when working.

The following user gives a hug of support to mscat40:
jgrangran (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
(female)

thank you. I'm actually not married. My kids are young. All under 8 years old. THey don't remember me ever working, except as a babysitter here and there. I did take a break. It's a LOT of paperwork, you're right. It's very overwhelming too. I'm afraid they're going to deny me from the get go just based on my answers. The only side effects from the medicines I have are extreme tiredness.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
(male)

MOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB User

Quote:
Sorry but wether its 1 kid or 8 has little relevance of what your situation is. IMO. I don't suger coat it like some will on here just to make you feel good. But not seeing a Dr. Or regular Dr appointments will hurt you. I'm just a realist and not a fake *** sugar coater. Period

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: MOnsterpete
ferd144 (02-28-2012), jgrangran (02-28-2012), NElady (02-28-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to MOnsterpete For This Useful Post:
ferd144 (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

Quote:
Hi Alexander,

The fact that you have 5 children,makes ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE with regard to SS approval.The only factors are your medical/work issues.Make sure you have all your records,doctors info,and anything pertaining to your ailments available ASAP

Do you have an attorney?

GL,Ferd

The Following User Says Thank You to ferd144 For This Useful Post:
MOnsterpete (02-29-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
(female)

youtoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB User

Quote:
thank you. So basally it may work in my favor that i've been so spotty in my medical care, for lack of a better word? I'm filling it out, to the best of my ability. They did mention I may need to meet with one of their drs, which I have absolutely no problems with. My son did that for his disability(he's deaf) and I believe that pushed him to get approved.
No I am not saying that is good that you did not get care just that it is a symptom of bi-polar. It is important from this point forward you keep all your appointments and take your medication as the doctor tells you to. Most people are denied the first time, reading on here will help you be prepared for things as much as possible.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOnsterpete View Post
Sorry but wether its 1 kid or 8 has little relevance of what your situation is. IMO. I don't suger coat it like some will on here just to make you feel good. But not seeing a Dr. Or regular Dr appointments will hurt you. I'm just a realist and not a fake *** sugar coater. Period
Great post Pete

Being realistic,and honest is my only way of approaching ANYTHING in life(esp on this forum).........telling it like it truly is might be tough love,but in the long run pays off exponentially!

Ferd

Last edited by ferd144; 02-28-2012 at 04:20 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to ferd144 For This Useful Post:
MOnsterpete (02-29-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

I will fill out the forms as honest as you can and make copies of everything you send ssa. and keep all forms you get from them in a folder somewhere , where you will find it. I would also get a lawyer that deal with only ssi/ssdi cases and don't get discourage if you get denied the first time it happens to people a lot. It is true your DR. and medical records will play a big part in this process. Good Luck to you you really need to take care of yourself for your kids and your self.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:12 AM   #11
(female)

what sdo i tell them when they ask why i've had and seen so many drs and why i havent seen a dr in so long and just now went back?

Old 02-29-2012, 05:18 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

I think the truth will revail just tell them what your circumstances were I know they know people can't get to the DR when you don"t have insurance you can go to the community hospital but even that takes time I would just say due to the insurance issue you couldn't go to the DR. Are what ever caused you not to be able to go. In my case I often wonder when my CDR comes around because I don't go often because they can't do anything for me anyway.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #13
(female)

I had this great dr who wrote me off for disability and I saw her every few months. She just gave me my meds and that was all. Then she went off on her own and stopped taking medicaid and charged $150 for office visits, There was NO way I could afford that so I didn't really take the time(my fault too) to find another dr because so many never returned my call and I hated following up. Many drs here don't take medicaid. But now once I had my dhs renewal one of the stipulations was I HAD to apply for ssi. So I did and that's where I'm at now. I loved this dr. Saw her for several years but I just couldn't afford her. She felt I couldn't work. This new dr I've only been to once. I saw her for 10 mins literally.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know how hard it is to find a DR. that you are really comfortable with. I hope you find a great DR. that you will feel good about because with this process you will really need to have a Nice DR. that will understand you. Good Luck to you I hope you find a good one please know we all care.

Last edited by jgrangran; 02-29-2012 at 07:56 AM.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
(female)

Quote:
I had this great dr who wrote me off for disability and I saw her every few months. She just gave me my meds and that was all. Then she went off on her own and stopped taking medicaid and charged $150 for office visits, There was NO way I could afford that so I didn't really take the time(my fault too) to find another dr because so many never returned my call and I hated following up. Many drs here don't take medicaid. But now once I had my dhs renewal one of the stipulations was I HAD to apply for ssi. So I did and that's where I'm at now. I loved this dr. Saw her for several years but I just couldn't afford her. She felt I couldn't work. This new dr I've only been to once. I saw her for 10 mins literally.
So you have been receiving state benefits and they now require in your state that someone who is receiving benefits that may qualify for federal benefits must apply for them. If you think about it with states having to tighten their belts that they would want to shift the burden from the state level to the federal level if someone qualifies for the federal benefit. The only thing you can do if they even do ask at this level is to tell the truth just like you have here. Be honest and go through the process it is to bad that someone did not advise you to apply for SSI when the doctor you like so well first diagnosed you and told you they felt you could not work. That happens a lot. Many states that had a less stringent criteria for someone to get state benefits are changing so that they match the federal criteria because of budget crunches.

Closed Thread