It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
(female)

Leasy617 HB UserLeasy617 HB UserLeasy617 HB UserLeasy617 HB UserLeasy617 HB User
Unhappy Breakneck speed on initial decision......

I was expecting to be sent to a doctor or something for SSA, but NOOOOOOOO guess what I got in the mail today? I got my denial. I only applied the last of December. I was thinking about April or even May before I knew something. They only received my mental health medical records on the 22nd of this month, this is the 28th, how on earth could they have had time to even look at them and make a decision and get that letter sent to me that fast? I was expecting to be denied the first time, but geez not that fast. I called a lawyer (one I had already picked out) and the lady said he should get back to me in a couple days.
I was depressed before, now I'm REALLY depressed.

Leasy

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: Leasy617
9 lv spinal fus (03-06-2012), gayle428 (02-28-2012), jgrangran (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Breakneck speed on initial decision......

That was really fast. Was this your initial application? Most people are denied at first and even second time, mor epeople are approved at the third stage which is the hearing level. Try not to become too upset about it, this happens to the majority of people. Just appeal the decision, as soon a syou can, and if it comes back as a deniel look for a Lawyer , one that specializes in social security claims only.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
(female)

Leasy617 HB UserLeasy617 HB UserLeasy617 HB UserLeasy617 HB UserLeasy617 HB User

This was my initial decision. I've already called a lawyers office, one that has come highly recommended and has an associate that used to work for the SSA and knows all the loop holes. The lady I talked to said he should be in touch with me in the next couple days.

Leasy

The following user gives a hug of support to Leasy617:
jgrangran (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
(male)

MOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leasy617 View Post
I was expecting to be sent to a doctor or something for SSA, but NOOOOOOOO guess what I got in the mail today? I got my denial. I only applied the last of December. I was thinking about April or even May before I knew something. They only received my mental health medical records on the 22nd of this month, this is the 28th, how on earth could they have had time to even look at them and make a decision and get that letter sent to me that fast? I was expecting to be denied the first time, but geez not that fast. I called a lawyer (one I had already picked out) and the lady said he should get back to me in a couple days.

Leasy
Does this really surprise anyone? I'm not into sugar coating but really I'm not surprised at all for a denIal.

The following user gives a hug of support to MOnsterpete:
jgrangran (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

Quote:
This was my initial decision. I've already called a lawyers office, one that has come highly recommended and has an associate that used to work for the SSA and knows all the loop holes. The lady I talked to said he should be in touch with me in the next couple days.

Leasy
Hi Leasy

Unfortunately 90% or so of first time applicants are denied.The positive news is that you have gotten the process started.The majority of members have all gone through this long journey.......but you will learn/understand the situation much more as time goes forward

Although it is a LONG and TEDIOUS road.......the many many great members on this forum will help you get through the rough times

Gl,
Ferd144

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: ferd144
jgrangran (02-28-2012), MOnsterpete (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
(female)

Wink Re: Breakneck speed on initial decision......

I do understand the process and I was actually expecting to be denied the first time. I guess I'm kind of hurt because it was SOOOO soon after receiving my records. Almost like they didn't take the time to really look at them. It hurts and yes I am down, but I look at it this way.....I was denied fast, maybe my reconsideration will go by fast and that will get me to a hearing faster....maybe, maybe not, but If I was expecting a decision in late April or early May and I have already gotten it, it has to be that much sooner to an ALJ hearing. *sigh*

Leasy

Old 02-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Yes its true so many are denied the first time and second but you are doing the right thing by getting a lawyer and please don't get discouraged it does happen to a lot of people I would be prepared to fight and appeal with the help of your lawyer I would make copies of everything you send to ssa and fill out everything and send it in as soon as possible. I think you will feel better when you talk to your lawyer they will go thru this process with you. It happens to so many and sometimes I think they stay to see who will appeal and sadly many don't but if you can't work you need to fight. This board is a great place to come many of use have been in your shoes and have walked the walk it is probly the most helpless feeling of no control and your furture is in other people hands but you can do things that can help by filling out forms making copies of everything and making sure they get it I think when you talk to the lawyer you will feel better about things just know many many get denied the first time. This is a very hard process but we are here to help you and listen to you thru this process we care.

The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
Leasy617 (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

I am sorry. I know it hurts to be denied.

On my very first application, I got the first denial letter in three weeks. I felt like they never even looked at my records.

Like the others have said, it is a long, hard process. They denied me five times over 2 1/2 years before I was finally approved.

You can't give up - you have to keep trying. Hang in there, we are all here to help.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
(female)

Three weeks??? How on earth could they have looked at your records? They listed the dates they received my records and all of them were WAY past a three week mark. Heck I was still getting paperwork to fill out by them at three weeks. I was calculating I would hear something by the end of April (4 months) maybe early May. That's the time frame people were telling me it was taking. I never expected this in just two months, and only a very few days after they received my records.
I'm hanging.....tightly. This does nothing to help my anxiety, but I'm breathing.

Leasy

Old 02-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

Yup, three weeks. The reconsideration was sent in immediately and the denial took four weeks this time. I honestly do not think they looked at anything.

I must add that I live in Texas, and it is considered to be one of the 'faster' states.

(maybe it is faster, because they don't read anything )

Old 02-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Yep I agree with you Gayle4102

Old 02-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:

Leasy
Try not to let the denial get you down Leasy617. Most of us on healthboards who have been approved have been there / done that. That was pretty fast on the application decision. Usually, it takes between 3-6 moths for them to make a decision. It would be nice to get approved at one of the early level but take comfort in the fact that most ppl are denied at levels one and two and win at level 3. Just keep steadfast by appealing this denial. Don't be shocked if you are again at level 2. The odds of approval here (reconsideration) are worse than level 1. Level 3 is where you have your best chance and definitely use a lawyer.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle4102 View Post
Yup, three weeks. The reconsideration was sent in immediately and the denial took four weeks this time. I honestly do not think they looked at anything.

I must add that I live in Texas, and it is considered to be one of the 'faster' states.

(maybe it is faster, because they don't read anything )
LMAO @ Gayle

Old 02-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
LMAO @ Gayle
Either they did not read your records or they all took a class in the Evelyn wood speed reading course. If you are my age you will know what I mean.

Last edited by vann04; 02-29-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #15
(female)

Vann I think they did do speed reading on mine....lol
Technically I am still a young gun (47) but my speed reading days are long gone myself...lol

Leasy

Closed Thread