It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
(female)

Alexandersmama HB UserAlexandersmama HB User
Mental Health Issues With SSI and Children

I have Bipolar and Borderline Personality Disorder. I figured I'd start a new thread. I am in the process of applying for ssi. Had my intake interview and was sent further paperwork to fill out. I have 5 children and I am a single mother. I do not work. I cannot work. My children are my life. I live for them. My disability overwhelms me at times though. I have never neglected my children however. I receive state assistance and now they are telling me in order to keep receiving it I must apply for ssi, which I am doing. My fear and concern is that by going through this process and telling them about my disability cps will step in out of concern for my children. My disability is under control for the most part. I do take meds. I've been on and off them for years. They do help somewhat with impulse control. I used to self harm but haven't in years since I had my first child, actually several years before. I don't know how to proceed with answering this paperwork so that I can answer honestly but not make them concerned. I don't know if that makes sense. I become depressed easily but it affects me, never my children. They have everything and more. They have too many toys, too much of everything. Part of my illness is I overspend and I am always buying stuff for them. I would die if they were ever taken away and I am scared. Thanks

Old 03-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User
Re: Mental Health Issues With SSI and Children

Alexandersmama, I know for a fact there are moms that have filed for ssi for your very illness and they never went after there children to take them away. just be as honest as you can when filling out those papers you can't go wrong with being honest. There are many many people with mental illness that are wonderful moms and I know your one of them . I do understand your concern but I really feel they will not take your children away Do you have a lawyer to help you even in the early stage it still might help to get a lawyer. Hang in there please don't worry about lossing your children I really don't think you will. this whole process is worrsomeenought I can't imagne having to worry about lossing your children also. I would go ahead and try to get a lwyer and let them do some of the worrying for you. Take care others will post.My heart is with you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
(female)

Leasy617 HB UserLeasy617 HB UserLeasy617 HB UserLeasy617 HB UserLeasy617 HB User

I know how you feel. I was overwhelmed with all that paperwork too. First off, I don't think you have anything to worry about concerning your children. Before they could take them away, they would have to prove you were an unfit mother, and having an illness does not make you unfit, and SSA are not the people to make that decision anyway.
As far as the paperwork, work on it at your own pace, don't rush through it, but be mindful of the time limit on getting it turned back in. Answer honestly, but do NOT sugar coat anything. Tell them HOW your illness affects you, not just that doing things does affect you. I remember when I did my paperwork, the last page I rambled on and on trying to get my point across, I should have just left it blank. They sent my denial letter to me two days after receiving my medical records...there is NO WAY they could have read anything and made a decision in two days. I think they just looked to see what disability I was claiming and wrote to tell me with those disabilities I could work just fine. As large as my file was, they couldn't have possibly read all of it AND my paperwork too...no way.....not in two days !!!
Don't feel bad if you get denied the first time, most people do and about 95% of those denials are denied again at the reconsideration stage. It is at the hearing stage where most people (if they are going to win) win their cases.
Just keep coming here for your support and information. This is the best place to check in while you join me and I'm sure others in the waiting game.

Leasy

Old 03-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
(female)

Alexandersmama HB UserAlexandersmama HB User

Thank you all so much. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this board. I cannot believe how they can just DENY you and not read. How and WHY can they do that? Isn't that illegal? Or immoral at the very least? Don't they legitimately have to give reasons and read? Wow. Where and how do I go about finding a lawyer? I have no money to pay either so how do I even retain one?

Old 03-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Most lawyer are all of them (ssa) lawyer don't charge you if they don't win. And its better to get one that does only ssa cases. there are tons of them out there you could google it and a lot will come up. Some say allups is best. some go with local ones its up to you but I do know they say the best to get is only the ones that do only ssa case. Keep check others will help you also

Old 03-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandersmama View Post
Thank you all so much. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this board. I cannot believe how they can just DENY you and not read. How and WHY can they do that? Isn't that illegal? Or immoral at the very least? Don't they legitimately have to give reasons and read? Wow. Where and how do I go about finding a lawyer? I have no money to pay either so how do I even retain one?
Lawyers are not allowed to charge you for representation,and only get payed if you win(they receive a percentage of your backpay)

I would def find a lawyer that ONLY specializes in SSDI/SSI cases ,whether that be a single individual or law firm

GL,
Ferd144

The following user gives a hug of support to ferd144:
jgrangran (03-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

Just trying to get a clarification..

Are you trying to obtain SSDI (Social Security disability - federal funds)

or

as your wrote: SSI -- which is assistance thru the STATE where you live?

Last edited by Jacki345; 03-03-2012 at 02:16 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Jacki345:
jgrangran (03-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

NElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB User

To obtain an attorney for SSDI/SSI, you do not have to pay any retainer fees or any fees up front. You only pay if you win, and SSA will pay them directly out of your back pay. The most they can charge is 25% of your backpay up to a maximum of $6000. They can afterwards bill you for misc charges associated with your case like costS for obtaining medical records, but I think those charges are usually minimal. I have heard excellent things about Allsup if you want to check them out. Hope this info helps!

Last edited by NElady; 03-03-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

I have herd most people obtain a Lawyter eng denied a couple of times and your claim is going to be appealed to the hearing level. It is best to obtain one that only works for social security claims and they can only charge you if you win your claim. The hearing level has the highest % of approvals then any other stage. The first two stages I have heard a Lawyer does not do much for you, and sometimes does not even take a claim until it is at the hearing level.
Being Disabled with mental illness does not make you a bad mother, that has nohing to do with your ability to be a good parent. SOmetimes, in certain instances it could , if the child was obviously getting neglected, their needs o be a complaint made before CPS will investigate, and often those complaints are unwarrented. If you have child suppport and your kids visit their fathers I think it could get a little trickier, that is just my opinion though. CPS is not going to reove children from stable loving mothers, that would never happen. The most imprtant thing is keeping up with your DR's appointments and taking your medication that your suppose to. All of this will show everybody that you are a good parent and doing what you can to be a good parent.
It is difficult without a doubt to be a parent and deal with your own disablites. i've done it and it is no walk in the park. My son is also disabled and I\ve him on my own having my own 'issues" by myself. But whta helped a lot was o connect with my brother , he has always helped ,e when I become too ill . It is easier too, when the children are older and not infants or toddlers , try to get the family support or support from friends. You do not want to feel alone in this . You deserve the support, you don;t have to go into detail about stuff, but it is just nice to have someome to talk to who understands and not going to judge.
I also have a diagnoses of Borderline Personality, major depression and others , so I know how you feel. And I was also a big slf harmer too, I know how that works, but we have to stay strong for our childerns sake. I know My son has made me not give up many times , and oh yes , he also has a ton of things.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

If/When you hire your representative whether it is Allsup or a private atty, make sure the agreement you sign is for the SSA amount (plus their costs of copies etc) SOME attys do charge more and as I have heard will have you sign it and you don't know the difference until the bill comes. SSA will pay the 25% up to the max before you get your retroactive money -- then they/atty will send you the costs bilss (for faxes, copies etc which is normal) and then they will also bill for the EXTRA amount you may have signed for that they slipped in -- just be very aware and take the time to read what the small writing says even if you have to take it home first to read it over to sign then bring it back. If your atty makes noise about you wanting to do that, then he could be hiding something.

Closed Thread