It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
(female)

LillyMac HB User
RFC Form

I just started the process to file for SSDI. I have been diagnosed with Forestier's disease or DISH it's a rare disorder involving bony growths on my spine, from what I understand. First started being a problem in 2009.

Ive read that key to any Social Security Disability or SSI claim is a form called the Residual Functional Capacity or Ability to do Work Related Activity form.

If my doctor does not want to complete this or is in dissagreement with my ability to work could I still be qualify?

I'm not sure if they will. My physical therapist has graded my range of motion very low, which it is. I'm slowly turning into the tin man and there is no cure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User
Re: RFC Form

I think you should let the DR. fill it out and just see what happens, I really think you have a great chance of winning at your age you probly meet the grid rules and see if your Physcial Therpist can also fill on out. Any side effects of the drugs would come in to play to I'm sure your on some kind of drug that effects everyday living and it sounds so painful to have that. If you can't work then you need to apply It is better in the long term to have your DR fill that form out and you just might be suprisezed the DR. just might fill it out. Good Luck to you. I wish I could of answered your question but I really don't know but I do know its important and helps if the form is filled out. It my be standard for ssa to send the DR. one anyway. Good luck there are others that the DR might not think they are disabled enought to not work but they flled and won so you never know to be it is better for the DR. to agree and thats part of a DR. really listening to their pt.I would find a different DR. if he isn't listening to you.

Last edited by jgrangran; 03-11-2012 at 04:19 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
LillyMac (03-13-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyMac View Post
I just started the process to file for SSDI. I have been diagnosed with Forestier's disease or DISH it's a rare disorder involving bony growths on my spine, from what I understand. First started being a problem in 2009.

Ive read that key to any Social Security Disability or SSI claim is a form called the Residual Functional Capacity or Ability to do Work Related Activity form.

If my doctor does not want to complete this or is in dissagreement with my ability to work could I still be qualify?

I'm not sure if they will. My physical therapist has graded my range of motion very low, which it is. I'm slowly turning into the tin man and there is no cure.
Hi LilyMac

In my opinion,without your own personal doctors support/agreeing with your disability claim..........it is putting you at a tremendous disadvantage from the start.Being that you are just beginning the application process(which will most likely take 2+ years to get approved).......I would immediately get another medical opinion ASAP.

Don't waste time in the early stages due to a doctor not recognizing your disability/ailment.Do the leg work now,as it cant hurt in any way,shape or form.If other doctors give you the same "negative" answers/response,then in all honesty you are most likely not disabled,and will have very little chance of approval.The time alone will be beyond stressful

There are soooo many members on this forum(incl myself) that will help you through this ordeal,and have been through the entire process themselves.Ask us any questions you may have!

GL,
Ferd144

Last edited by ferd144; 03-11-2012 at 03:33 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to ferd144:
jgrangran (03-11-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

I have heard of those RFC forms but I do not know if it is standard practice to send them to your DR. A lot of times the DR's can fill paperwork out electronically and it is sent directly to DDS. I agree that it is important to have DR's supporting your claim of disability, that makes it a lot easier for a approval. Id social security does not have enough information to make a decision on your claim they will send you to one of their own DR's .

The following user gives a hug of support to mscat40:
jgrangran (03-11-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
LillyMac (03-13-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #5
(female)

LillyMac HB User

Thanks everyone, I'm sure I will have questions along the way. I'm thankful for the feedback I don't feel alone in the process!

The following user gives a hug of support to LillyMac:
jgrangran (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Lillymac, I'm glad you found this board this process is so mentality draining and so many of us have been thru so much, so Welcome and please keep us updated.

The following user gives a hug of support to jgrangran:
ferd144 (03-12-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
LillyMac (03-13-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

This board was a life preserver for me. You are in uncharted territory and for me - the folks here threw me the life line to keep on going. I learned a lot here. I'm thankful I found them. Since then: "There is no place like home!"

As far as the RFC, and speaking in my specific case, I have seen the RFC they have online. The one my atty had provided me for my doctor/s fill out was customized to my particular disability/claim. It took my GP about 15 mins, after his RN filled out the basic stuff. Now, keep in mind, my GP was also the one who suggested I file for SSDI. He's been my doc for over 20 years. The former treating docs ie surgeons etc from the past only their records were necessary. The current ortho I have 'didn't do ssd paperwork' and referred me off to some high priced doctors.

Long story short, --**in MY case** the ALJ focused in on whatever my GP said, wrote and all his records notes and tests he provided. My atty and I were a little confuzzled about it with every thing else we had in my file. But just before going into the hearing, the court reporter/assistant kept coming in our little private waiting room and wanted to be certain this paper and that paper and this/that/this/that from my GP was intact and complete. We never knew if maybe their fax didn't get it all or some pages were lost in the transmission. We didn't ask, just gave her what she wanted.

Don't try to jump ahead... if you've just filed, there is a process and count on it being S-L-O-W. The RFC if needed is a little ways down the road, unless your representative says otherwise. My process took 23 months. (I had expected 2 years)

Take a deep breathe.
Relax (I know that is going to be the hard part) because it is a waiting game
Keep in touch
and like jgrangran said
Welcome!

Hugs

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Jacki345
ferd144 (03-12-2012), jgrangran (03-12-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacki345 For This Useful Post:
LillyMac (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #8
(female)

LillyMac HB User

I know I've just started the process, I have until Sept to complete my initial app online to SSDI. My concern is that I have already had to change ortho docs. I was told because I choose a pain management doc outside of their grop that they would not treat me anymore. I choose to see the pain doc my brother has, he has rheumatoid arthrist, this doc has treated him for over 15 years. My family doc called the ortho docs just last week and asked them about this situation and she was told that if I dismissed my pain doc they would see me again. So is this going to look like I'm doctor hopping to SSDI?
I had my 3rd epidural yesterday & my pain doc said I should see a rheumatologist. My son has Sjogrens syndrome and his rheumatologist is with the same group of docs as my brother, so that's where I'm headed.
I'm sure I will have plenty of questions along the way like what is ALJ?)
I was also told not to hire an attorney until I'm denied, I have one lined up who is an expert with SSDI. I have peace in knowing I can turn to someone trustworthy. He is a good friend of a friend of mine. I'm finding it's the lay people and networking that has been the most help and Im so happy to have found the support here!
Thanks agin to all.

Last edited by LillyMac; 03-13-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
(female)

LillyMac HB User
Thumbs up Re: RFC Form

Im so new I almost posted the same reply twice

Last edited by LillyMac; 03-13-2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Posted twice

Old 03-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

Quote:
I know I've just started the process, I have until Sept to complete my initial app online to SSDI. My concern is that I have already had to change ortho docs. I was told because I choose a pain management doc outside of their grop that they would not treat me anymore. I choose to see the pain doc my brother has, he has rheumatoid arthrist, this doc has treated him for over 15 years. My family doc called the ortho docs just last week and asked them about this situation and she was told that if I dismissed my pain doc they would see me again. So is this going to look like I'm doctor hopping to SSDI?
I had my 3rd epidural yesterday & my pain doc said I should see a rheumatologist. My son has Sjogrens syndrome and his rheumatologist is with the same group of docs as my brother, so that's where I'm headed.
I was also told not to hire an attorney until I'm denied, I have one lined up who is an expert with SSDI. I have peace in knowing I can turn to someone trustworthy. He is a good friend of a friend of mine. I'm finding it's the lay people and networking that has been the most help and Im so happy to have found the support here! I
Thanks agin to all.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=LillyMac;4943809]I know I've just started the process, I have until Sept to complete my initial app online to SSDI. My concern is that I have already had to change ortho docs. I was told because I choose a pain management doc outside of their grop that they would not treat me anymore. I choose to see the pain doc my brother has, he has rheumatoid arthrist, this doc has treated him for over 15 years. My family doc called the ortho docs just last week and asked them about this situation and she was told that if I dismissed my pain doc they would see me again. So is this going to look like I'm doctor hopping to SSDI?
I was also told not to hire an attorney until I'm denied, I have one lined up who is an expert with SSDI. I have peace in knowing I can turn to someone trustworthy. He is a i good friend of a friend of mine. I'm finding it's the lay people and networking that has been the most help and Im so happy to have found the support here! I

HI Lilymac

If you have a reputable attorney,hire him now.They will make the process go much smoother

ALJ,,,,,,,,stands for Administrative Law Judge,and that is the level *most* folks get approved at

Ferd144 :-D

The following user gives a hug of support to ferd144:
jgrangran (03-13-2012)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ferd144 For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (03-14-2012), jgrangran (03-13-2012), LillyMac (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

Quote:
I was also told not to hire an attorney until I'm denied, I have one lined up who is an expert with SSDI. I have peace in knowing I can turn to someone trustworthy. He is a good friend of a friend of mine. I'm finding it's the lay people and networking that has been the most help and Im so happy to have found the support here!
Thanks agin to all.
I filed my initial application over the phone in March 2010. I called SSA they made an appt to call me back, which they did. I had all the doctors that are and were treating me & why ready along with all my medications ready. It was painless - they/SSA made it very easy for me.

They typed my statements as they asked me questions (I could hear them) then they sent me what they typed for me to 'authorize'. I saw some errors, called them, cleared it up, then sent another for me to proof and off we went. On that 1st denial, I was then able to appeal for reconsideration over the phone as well. I did not want to fill out a thing online nor did I want to go to the SSA office and sit around and wait, as sitting/standing for long periods is one of my serious problems.

On the 2nd denial - the appeal to the ALJ (admin law judge) my atty did that. I had already hired him, but he really didn't do anything other than interview me once I had appeal for reconsideration to see if he would take my case. I was to contact him if I was denied. Then from that point on he 'took over'. He filed for the appeal to the ALJ hearing -- that appeal request was made mid Dec 2010 & my hearing was Feb 2012.

All waiting times vary from district to district (state regions).

As far as doctor shopping -- this would usually apply to pain medications/narcotics. I am in Florida, where people flocked from every state around to get their pain meds from our long list of pill mills. I don't know where you live or how or if there is a pain medication issue there. Talk with your doctors about it. That would be your best bet. Talk with the doctor/s who've treated you the longest.

The following user gives a hug of support to Jacki345:
jgrangran (03-13-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacki345 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #13
(female)

LillyMac HB User

Thanks again. I appreciate your feed back very much!

The following user gives a hug of support to LillyMac:
jgrangran (03-13-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 12:40 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferd144 View Post
Hi LilyMac

In my opinion,without your own personal doctors support/agreeing with your disability claim..........it is putting you at a tremendous disadvantage from the start.Being that you are just beginning the application process(which will most likely take 2+ years to get approved).......I would immediately get another medical opinion ASAP.

Don't waste time in the early stages due to a doctor not recognizing your disability/ailment.Do the leg work now,as it cant hurt in any way,shape or form.If other doctors give you the same "negative" answers/response,then in all honesty you are most likely not disabled,and will have very little chance of approval.The time alone will be beyond stressful

There are soooo many members on this forum(incl myself) that will help you through this ordeal,and have been through the entire process themselves.Ask us any questions you may have!

GL,
Ferd144
I agree with Ferd. If your doctor is not supportive of your disability and reflects that in your medical records, SS will deny your claim. The process is hard enough even with supportive doctors and good medical records.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
ferd144 (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferd144 View Post

HI Lilymac

If you have a reputable attorney,hire him now.They will make the process go much smoother

ALJ,,,,,,,,stands for Administrative Law Judge,and that is the level *most* folks get approved at

Ferd144 :-D
Ferd is right Lilymac. Get the lawyer onboard right away. It will take away a lot of the stress just knowing somebody is on your side and is trying to help you get approved. Healthboards is really good also in the sense that many people here have been thru the process and have been approved. They can tell you exactly what the experience is/was like so you will know kinda what to expect. For example, it is a shock to a lot of people who initially apply, know in their heart of hearts that they can't really work any longer, they jump thru all the hoops SS makes you jump thru, they often think I know I will get approved because of my medical condition altho they may have heard that most others are denied initially, and are shocked when they get the denial letter at the application level. But , OTOH, if you know most of the people who post regularly on healthboards also were denied at the application level but were later approved at another stage in the process with the aid of a lawyer, it lessens the shock if you are denied at the initial levels because you know if you persevere and appeal any adverse decisions, the chances are very good that you will eventually win your claim and be awarded backapy. You just have to stay in the game and not quit. I would say 10-15% of your time will be spent doing things to help get your claim approved. The other 85-90 % is a waiting game. Many people give up after being denied once or twice. Huge mistake! This is where the healthboards members here can help you continue to eventual approval by relaying their own personal experiences. This knowing this is what most other people had to go thru but they did this or did that and eventually got approved is invaluable knowledge because it tells you if you do the same things as these people have done, you will probably have the same outcome in the end as they did.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
Jacki345 (03-14-2012)
Closed Thread