It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User
SSA Hearing less than a week away...

Well my hearing is getting closer and closer it is less than a week away now and I am so nervous. I am a mess. have no actual doctor backing other than my regular doctor that says I can't go to work for another year at least and then will review but said probably never and I need more test for possible surgery. Can't afford the test. Don't have medical insurance and i debt up to my eyeballs at this point. Can't even afford my medications. I am now going cold turkey from Percosets that I have been on for the past two years so I am really going to be a mess. Ughhh. Just feeling outta sorts and very edgy which I am sure is the WD I hope this is over before Wednesday ug

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Old 04-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: SSA Hearing less than a week away...

Good luck on the hearing sandiemas. I feel so bad for you having to stop the painkiller C/T. This could be dangerous. They cold turkeyed me off a benzodiazepine (klonopin) in 2006 in a psychiatric hospital and i came close to dying I believe. I was sick for a solid month. As soon as I was released, I ran to my doc and begged him to put me on valium to stop or mitigate the w/d effects from the klonopin C/T. The pain was so bad until I became suicidal. I wish there was a way you could continue your meds and taper them slowly down to zero.
I personally think once you get on some of the psychiatric meds, you have to take them for life. I still take valium but it does not help my anxiety and panic that much anymore due to tolerance. I basically have to take it to keep from going into severe drug w/d.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (04-08-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

NElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB User

Why do you have to stop cold turkey? Can't your doctor taper you off them? It would be much safer and more comfortable. I've been in your shoes before. Because of a change in procedures at my drs office, a while back I had to go cold turkey off morphine and oxycodone (percs) for 2 weeks until they got things settled (and I got me a new dr thank GOD). Those were the worst two weeks of my life. I don't think I slept a wink, and I shook all the time. The best thing that worked for me was HOT baths. For some reason it calmed me the most, but then I felt horrible again once I was out of them. I think had they not given me meds after that point I would have continued suffering for awhile longer. My condition is progressive and no cure, so I will always be on these meds unless they find a cure. If so I fear the day they make me have to go through WD's again!!! Try hot baths!!! I truly feel for you right now!!!!!!! Try some herbal teas too!!! Some have calming properties!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NElady For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (04-06-2012), Jacki345 (04-06-2012), sandiemas (04-08-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

I ditto what NELady said..

I am no doctor, but I do know - Usually, any psych drug has to be tapered off. I've been on them before, and when I would want off usually coz they weren't helping, my doc tapered me off.. and STRONGLY said not to stop cold. Told me how to taper and then we started with a different drug. I was dealing with my home being broken into and was a reck. That was many years ago - and even today I have issues with it.

As far as percs.. years ago I stopped them cold, I had taken them for so long they really stopped doing anything for me - except started tearing up my stomach - nearly getting ulcers from them. My docs nearly had a stroke when I said I was stopping and they wanted to taper me off of them too, said I was addicted. But in my case I was not. I had already stopped without any adverse affects. Lucky they said. I am very careful about the addiction part of this drug-go-round most of us have to endure.

But be very careful about dropping psych drugs cold.. NOT good.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jacki345 For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (04-08-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
(male)

GAbrook HB UserGAbrook HB UserGAbrook HB UserGAbrook HB User

Good Luck Sandiemas You will be ok at the hearing!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to GAbrook For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (04-08-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User

Agree with the others that going cold turkey is dangerous and that you should consult w/ your Dr. It could also impact your claim, as the judge might ask if you have exhausted all of the free/sliding scale options out there. It is important to follow prescribed treatment; perhaps you can contact your local DHS and see if you can get your meds at a reduced cost since you are without insurance. If your hearing is less than a week away you might just have time to ask your Dr what you can do since you are w/o insurance.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunni123 For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (04-06-2012), sandiemas (04-08-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NElady View Post
Because of a change in procedures at my drs office, a while back I had to go cold turkey off morphine and oxycodone (percs) for 2 weeks until they got things settled (and I got me a new dr thank GOD). Those were the worst two weeks of my life. I don't think I slept a wink, and I shook all the time. The best thing that worked for me was HOT baths.
Same here NELady. Your post brought back some painful memories. Please try and talk to your doc or call the office if you can't pay to see him sandiemas. I was just like NELady. I was like this for a solid month. I slept 1-2 hours a night if I was lucky and was not eating / could not eat. It is like 24/7 misery. I really hope your hearing goes well. You have a lot of stressful things going on in your life @ the moment.

sandiemas (04-08-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

NElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB User

Sandiemas, how are you doing? We haven't heard much from you, and I'm concerned since you are going through WD's. Please let us know how you are!!

Old 04-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User

Thank you all for all of the post and positive responses. I have been very ill and have not been online. Of course due to the WD, I have felt like I have had the flu. Sore body, skin crawling, vomiting, migraine, the works. I have found that a lot of Flu medication, Imodium AD, Lots and Lots of water, little bit of food, hot baths, and Tylenol PM have been my best friends the past couple of days. I am still in lots of pain but now feel like I am going to make it, for a while there I thought I was a gonner....

My anxiety and depression are at an all time high and I am sure it has a lot to do with going off my meds. Crying uncontrollably for no reason, panic attacks when the door bell or the phone rings, crazy thoughts.

But on the lighter side I feel better I have gotton a script for Norco which is lower than Percs and Hydro instead of Oxy It helps take the edge off and I only take one when i can't possibly stand it any longer. I felt the need to stop I no longer wanted to live my life waiting for my next dose so I could do something and felt I was getting in over my head with medication. I also stopped my Lamictal which is an anxiety medication which I know plays with your mind.

NELady, I couldn't imagine what you must have gone through going cold turkey and being in the hospital, you poor thing, that must have been absolutely miserable. I am sure you still have night mares and some PTSD from the whole thing. I know that I am living a nightmare right now and appreciate this blog and all of your support. Hearing your stories and reading the post bring some type of peace and know that others have been in your shoes helps me to realize that this to shal pass if someone else has made it then so can I.

BlueSkies, I am so sorry to hear that you had to go through this as well. But your words have helped me to realize that it can be done and that we are stronger than we think we are.

Again, thanks for your post and sorry I haven't been around kinda feeling the bummers, WD, Anxiety due to upcoming hearing and wallowing in my own self pitty for a bit but will keep you posted on my hearing for Wednesday I appreciate all the "best wishes" and "advise". Please keep it coming I can use all the advise possible.lol

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: sandiemas
BlueSkies14 (04-10-2012), sunni123 (04-08-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to sandiemas For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
(female)

Well my hearing is tomorrow!!!!!! Anxiety through the roof!!!! I hope I can make it and get through the day without a major anxiety attack. Breathe, just breathe. Now is when I need to listen to my own advise and suck up and buck up. lol

I am a little frustrated that I have not heard from my attorney, he has not returned any of my emails (3 since Feb) or phone calls (2 this week) and I have no idea what type of questions he will be asking me or what to bring with me or what to read and have fresh in my head... UGGHH OK I will stop now

Fair warning I will be on this board all day reading post and looking for helpful information. I know it is out there. lol

Wish me luck Since my hearing is out of town I am going to stay the night in the area, then take the kids to a nice weekend away to relax and reflect

Hopefully I will be able to relax and enjoy my kids for the weekend and forget about all this crude until we return on Sunday.

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Last edited by sandiemas; 04-10-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Added info about attorney and frustration in communication

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: sandiemas
NElady (04-10-2012), sunni123 (04-10-2012), tigerztyger (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

I have my fingers crossed for you tomorrow. Also, glad to hear you got the w/d to ease up some. How far away from home do you have to travel for your hearing?

sandiemas (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
(female)

Cool Re: SSA Hearing less than a week away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
I have my fingers crossed for you tomorrow. Also, glad to hear you got the w/d to ease up some. How far away from home do you have to travel for your hearing?
Thank you I have my fingers crossed as well. I only have to travel about 45 minutes but 45 minutes to me is a long time. then to sit in the court house all day waiting for my turn I'm not sure how I'll feel afterwards so I got a hotel room. My husband has to work and my oldest daughter has to watch the kids so I have to drive myself and me and driving don't get along very well anymore.

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiemas View Post
Thank you I have my fingers crossed as well. I only have to travel about 45 minutes but 45 minutes to me is a long time. then to sit in the court house all day waiting for my turn I'm not sure how I'll feel afterwards so I got a hotel room. My husband has to work and my oldest daughter has to watch the kids so I have to drive myself and me and driving don't get along very well anymore.
Hi Sandiemas

As you said in your own in post..........BREATH,and try your best to relax.This will help you immeasurably tomorrow

Once again Good Luck,and keep us updated!

Ferd

The following user gives a hug of support to ferd144:
sandiemas (04-11-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ferd144 For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #14
(male)

GAbrook HB UserGAbrook HB UserGAbrook HB UserGAbrook HB User

Good luck on your hearing tomorrow!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to GAbrook For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #15
(male)

MOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB User

Fingers crossed.

The Following User Says Thank You to MOnsterpete For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (04-10-2012)
Closed Thread