It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #16
Veteran
(female)

dismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB User
Re: Proving disability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyLady86 View Post
Ferd144 thanx for the post. I've been referred to another psychiatrist already at the same place. I guess Ill have to lean towards my mental issues. My mental issues started when I was a child. I just don't have the evidence for my physical problems. I pray my hearing comes soon because I really need some kind of income. I have a baby and it's really hard getting by. Because of this I've become severely depressed. So depressed that I have to have other family members come see about my child. I also just feel tired all the time. I mean i hardly keep up with my hygiene anymore, i don't cook or clean. My family or bf does that for me. Is this what I need to tell the judge when I go? I'm really nervous about the kinds of questions he will ask. Like why can't I work? I think all the medication I'm on explains why I can't work. I'm sedated all day long and feel like a zombie. It doesn't help my depression or anxiety at all. It's gotten so bad that I actually think about dying. Does that make me suicidal?
I think you need a better pdoc. The trazadone you take is that at night? I used to take that for sleep. It doesn't do jack for the actual depression it just helped with my insomnia. Trazadone shouldn't be taken during the day. I understand how hard it is. A lot of things slide in my household too. Thinking about dying doesn't mean you are suicidal. If you have a plan then you have a problem. Make sure your pdoc knows all of this and knows how bad your side effects are. There are plenty of meds out there to try that have a lower rate of side effects.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #17
(female)

LovelyLady86 HB User

So do you think I could win based on my mental illness alone?

Old 04-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #18
Inactive
(female)

NElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismama View Post
I'm 36 and have a bachelor's degree and was approved last year for bipolar so it isn't impossible to be approved and be young. I won at the hearing level. The bad part about being young is my disability is currently under review which is stressful. I had several unsuccessful attempts at work after I filed. I have a very supportive pdoc who I've been with for over 3 years. He swears I'm not able to work. I also have several hospitalizations which worked in my favor. Your best chance is to get approved for mental reasons. Be prepared for them to pick over everything. During my hearing my judge questioned the fact that I am able to vacation at Disney World (my happy place). It was weird having to explain why and how I choose to vacation. Right now I'm stressing over my review but my pdoc keeps telling me not to worry. Good luck.
I know young people can get approved, I was approved at age 35 for purely physical reasons. But I said for the knee problem only, her age didn't look good for an approval. For mental problems, it's always hard to say if a judge will approve or not. The longer history of treatment with a pdoc, the better I think.

I can't remember if you said you have an attorney, they should be able to help you know with your med records if you have a case, and they will help with letting you know what questions to expect at the hearing. I wish you all the best of luck though!! What state are you in if you don't mind, we cans find out about how long until a hearing. Mine took 13 months exactly from date we requested hearing to date of hearing.

Last edited by NElady; 04-18-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #19
(female)

LovelyLady86 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NElady View Post
I know young people can get approved, I was approved at age 35 for purely physical reasons. But I said for the knee problem only, her age didn't look good for an approval. For mental problems, it's always hard to say if a judge will approve or not. The longer history of treatment with a pdoc, the better I think. I can't remember if you said you have an attorney, they should be able to help you know with your med records if you have a case, and they will help with letting you know what questions to expect at the hearing. I wish you all the best of luck though!! What state are you in if you don't mind, we cans find out about how long until a hearing. Mine took 13 months exactly from date we requested hearing to date of hearing.
I'm in Ga.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #20
Inactive
(female)

NElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB User

Quote:
I'm in Ga.
If it is out of the Atlanta office, it looks like 11-12 months. So your guess of December is about right, unless they are able to clear up cases quicker. They told me about 18-20, and it was 13. So hopefully you will get it sooner! Good luck, and keep us posted!!

Old 04-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #21
(female)

LovelyLady86 HB User

I just left my knee doctor and I am very disappointed with him. He told me they don't deal with social security and will do nothing to help me. I just pray my new psychiatrist will stand behind me. I swear nothing ever seems to go right for me

The following user gives a hug of support to LovelyLady86:
Jacki345 (04-19-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #22
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

Quote:
I just left my knee doctor and I am very disappointed with him. He told me they don't deal with social security and will do nothing to help me. I just pray my new psychiatrist will stand behind me. I swear nothing ever seems to go right for me
Don't fret it. Many doctors don't deal with SS. Yes, It's great if your doctor stands by you etc, but if your medical records reflect a serious problem that meets the SSD disablilty requirements you can be fine and dandy. My ortho didn't play with the SS either.. Of course he knew when I was referred to him I had representation.. At the end, when surgery was out, he then decided he didn't play with SS.. even tho their recordings say they do.. hmmm.. Anyway, when it came time for my hearing, the judge didn't even look (or appear to look) at his stuff. But understand, I have YEARS of tests, MRIs, Xrays, medical records etc, going back to when the problem started. All those tests say pretty much the same thing. My GP is the one who my judge honed in on.

Get good representation, take care of yourself/disability. Get to the appropriate doctors to be treated, and push on.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #23
(female)

Aubrey278 HB UserAubrey278 HB UserAubrey278 HB UserAubrey278 HB User

At my ALJ hearing as depression as my claim. The judge asked many questions that would indicate how social I was at the time. For example, how often do you vistit a relative, how did you get along with co-workers, have you ever been fired. He did not ask what my life was like on a daily basis!! I believe his mind was made up before he walked into the room. Mainly because the questions were designed to disprove my claim. I have quit every job that I have ever had. I am 43 with a Bachelors but have been unemployed for two and half years. I have an eviction hearing next week and will be homeless. I actually wrote the council letting them know that this is how bad things can get without help. I hope you have a supporting Psychiatrist and good attorney.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #24
(female)

LovelyLady86 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey278 View Post
At my ALJ hearing as depression as my claim. The judge asked many questions that would indicate how social I was at the time. For example, how often do you vistit a relative, how did you get along with co-workers, have you ever been fired. He did not ask what my life was like on a daily basis!! I believe his mind was made up before he walked into the room. Mainly because the questions were designed to disprove my claim. I have quit every job that I have ever had. I am 43 with a Bachelors but have been unemployed for two and half years. I have an eviction hearing next week and will be homeless. I actually wrote the council letting them know that this is how bad things can get without help. I hope you have a supporting Psychiatrist and good attorney.
Wow I wish you luck with getting approved. Do you have a supporting psychiatrist? Why are you being denied? Are they using your education against you?

Old 04-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #25
(female)

Aubrey278 HB UserAubrey278 HB UserAubrey278 HB UserAubrey278 HB User

I think the judge rendered an unfavorable decision because of my age:43, education:bachelors, once a month Psych visits, 1 hospitalization. Apparently, a judge may conclude that if you are seeing a psychiatrist once a month you are managing well. Once a month is all I can afford so it is a catch 22. One suicide attempt will not automatically get you help either. I have a Psychiatrist who is supportive but my lawyers never contacted them for an RFC. You have to have a good lawyer mine are not.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #26
(female)

LovelyLady86 HB User

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard time aubrey278. I'm starting to question my lawyer too. Every time I call I never get straight forward answers. I just don't know where I stand right now. I called social security and they told me they have my updated records from my psychiatrist. But I'm wondering if that is going to be enough? That's why I wanted my lawyer to look over my records and tell me what he think if I have a case or not. But I guess that's too much to ask of him. I really do hope I win my case soon, but I'm going to hate to pay them because it seems like they're doing nothing. I get more answers from social security them self than my own lawyer. Because of gas prices, I might have to start seeing my psychiatrist once a month too. With no income, it's getting harder and harder to get around to all my doctors.

Closed Thread