It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
(female)

LovelyLady86 HB User
Post Proving disability?

I'm new to HealthBoards and wanted to tell everyone hello. I had a couple questions about my disability claim. I've been turned down twice and now I'm awaiting my hearing. My lawyer filed it in December 2011 so hopefully it'll be December of this year. I've been diagnosed with major depressive disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, and social phobia by my psychiatrist. She put me on trazodone 150 mg, vistaril 50 mg, abilify 20mg, and celexa 40 mg. I also have knee problems among other health problems. I take tramadol 50 mg for that. I fell and dislocated my knee and tore some tendons last year. Ever since then I have been unable to work due to pain in my knee if I stand on it for too long. I found this out when I got a stand up job at a factory. I didn't last 2 days because the pain of standing up 8 hrs on my knee was unbearable. I wanted to know if this will be a bad thing against my disability claim since I actually worked? Like when I go to court what if the judge asks me why did I try to work if i applied for disability? He has to understand I had to try to make a living for myself. But this job proved I can not do any stand up work. How do I explain this to the judge without medical evidence. My knee doctor told me that everything is fine now with my knee after the knee arthroscope surgery he performed last year. I told him about what happened at my last job since the surgery and he just tells me to do some exercises. I just don't see how I will win my case without my doctor backing me up saying I can't work. I know that my knee will never be normal again and wish this never happened

I also had got another job since being denied disability. It lasted only one month there because of my mental issues. She told me I was very forgetful and seemed sedated. I can't lie this job was very stressful for me. I would forget things as soon as she told me to do something because of the anxiety. I have anxiety attacks when I'm around people and I just couldn't concentrate at this job. I have a family at home and that's why I pushed myself to try and work. But because of my physical and metal problems I just can't do it. If I explain this to the judge when the times comes, do you think he will be favorable upon it? I don't want the judge to think I can work when i seriously can't. I just want him to know that I tried. So what do you guys think? Do I have a good claim or am I just wasting my time waiting for a hearing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Proving disability?

How old are you if you don't mind me asking and is your primary complaint for being disabled mental or physical in your opinion? Welcome to healthboards btw.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
(female)

LovelyLady86 HB User

I'm 25 years old. I have an associates degree and I just feel like social secuirty is going to use my age and my education on top of everything else against me. I've been reading a lot on here and it seems to be hard to get ssi for depression. I would say my primary complaint is both but I guess my mental issues are getting worse than my physical. I used to see my psychiatrist once a week but now since I don't have an income and gas is so high I have to do it once a month.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Just my personal opinion, I think it will be hard using the bad knee as the basis for SSDI after reading what you wrote. I think the mental health DX will have a much better chance at approval. The judge will not hold anything against you for trying to work. If anything, it will help your claim. They like to see people try before conceding and file a claim for SSDI.

* I have been approved for SSDI. I have been on SSDI almost 9 months now.
DX = panic disorder, anxiety (GAD), OCD, and mild to moderate depression. Panic and anxiety are the main things though.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

NElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB User

I'm going to be completely honest with you. As far as your mental diagnosis, I'm not sure how that will factor in since there are varying degrees of mental illness. But looking at your case from a strictly physical aspect, you said there are other medical issues? What are those? The fact that you are 25, AND your doctor said your knee is fine if you do some strengthening exercises, AND you have a degree doesn't look promising for a disability claim. The fact that you have a degree they will say you can do a sit down job and your knee problem would be moot. But again, I don't know about how severe your mental illness is. Do you see a therapist?? What does your psychiatrist say about you pursuing a disability claim? Do you have his support? That is important to have.

Last edited by NElady; 04-18-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

I know several people in other forums who got approved for depression alone. It must be severe however and your medical records must reflect that. You said you see your mental health doc once a month now. How long have you been seeing him? Age could make it harder but is no barrier to SSI/SSDI approval if you can show using you medical records that you are unable to work.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
(female)

LovelyLady86 HB User

Well the problem with my psychiatrist is that she just quit and I see a new one next week. My old psychiatrist was behind me. She told me I can't work and stood behind me. I even have a paper she filled out for me for college about my disability and getting accommodation. One of the questions was will this disability last longer more than one year? She checked yes. Should I show this to my lawyer and would it help my claim?

As for doing a sit down job, as i explained in my earlier post, I wouldn't be able to do it.I actually just got fired from a sit down job because of my mental issues. My medications make me sleepy all day long, i have social anxiety so I can't be around people, and I have zero concentration. That's why I'm not in college now because I kept flunking out.

As far as my other medical issues, they consist of things like asthma, allergies, i have chest pains and bad heartburn i take medication for. My heart rate is always high I take medication for that, high blood pressure, borderline diabetic. That's all i can think of now. Not sure if that would help.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
(female)

LovelyLady86 HB User

And I have been seeing my psychiatrist for almost a year now. So i guess I have medical records there. I just hate I have to start all over with a new one since the last one quit. I really liked her and it was really hard for me to open up and talk about my problems. Now when I finally start getting a connection she ups and quits.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyLady86 View Post
And I have been seeing my psychiatrist for almost a year now. So i guess I have medical records there. I just hate I have to start all over with a new one since the last one quit. I really liked her and it was really hard for me to open up and talk about my problems. Now when I finally start getting a connection she ups and quits.
Welcome to the forum Lovelylady

But what do you mean by *she quit*?

Did she stop seeing YOU (for whatever reason she may have)...........or did she decide to not practice medicine anymore?

Confused

GL,
Ferd

Old 04-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
(female)

LovelyLady86 HB User

She doesn't work there anymore.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

dismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB User

I'm 36 and have a bachelor's degree and was approved last year for bipolar so it isn't impossible to be approved and be young. I won at the hearing level. The bad part about being young is my disability is currently under review which is stressful. I had several unsuccessful attempts at work after I filed. I have a very supportive pdoc who I've been with for over 3 years. He swears I'm not able to work. I also have several hospitalizations which worked in my favor. Your best chance is to get approved for mental reasons. Be prepared for them to pick over everything. During my hearing my judge questioned the fact that I am able to vacation at Disney World (my happy place). It was weird having to explain why and how I choose to vacation. Right now I'm stressing over my review but my pdoc keeps telling me not to worry. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
(female)

LovelyLady86 HB User

Thank you dismama for the reply. Can you elaborate on what kind of mental questions they asked you during your hearing? Like what did they pick over as you say?

Old 04-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyLady86 View Post
She doesn't work there anymore.
OK ......I see

I have had a few doctors that were with me for years but unfortunately left a particular practice,hospital,medical center,etc.for whatever reason.For the most part,it didn't matter.

However in 2 cases( they were great physicians along with having a great relationship with me) I was able to *follow* them to their next venue.It was tough trying to find their new phone numbers and addresses ,as many doctors that leave a particular setting are not "allowed" to contact patients that were formerly associated with that office.

But you do have rights as a patient,and with a little leg work you can/will find them.But if there was an issue with you and her where she may not want to see you for any particular reason then that stinks.In my case my doctors were thrilled to see me at their new practice,and it worked out great

In any case.....get your records(they are yours and you are legally entitled to them) and try and find another doctor that you feel comfortable with.Maybe a friends reco,referral from your regular doc or just shopping around and doing your own homework

Ferd

Last edited by ferd144; 04-18-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

dismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB User

Honestly the whole thing was so stressful that I've blocked it out. I remember the judge asking how if I have a panic disorder and agoraphobia did I go to Disney. I had to explain that I travel in low season and I use a disability pass to avoid the majority of crowds. I remember him asking about my daily activities. I have a 9 year old so there are things I have to do. Basically I had to make the judge understand that I can barely hold it together to appear in control to take care of my son but that I rely on my husband alot. He told me at the hearing that I was approved but told me it was only for a year. I had my disability for 20 months before I came up for review. Now I'm just hoping to be able to keep it. My hearing lasted about 45 minutes. Which had my husband worried because he saw a lot of people going in and out in 5 minutes. The VE was on the phone but the judge never asked her opinion. I think the judge asked me about my different unsuccessful work attempts too.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #15
(female)

LovelyLady86 HB User

Ferd144 thanx for the post. I've been referred to another psychiatrist already at the same place. I guess Ill have to lean towards my mental issues. My mental issues started when I was a child. I just don't have the evidence for my physical problems. I pray my hearing comes soon because I really need some kind of income. I have a baby and it's really hard getting by. Because of this I've become severely depressed. So depressed that I have to have other family members come see about my child. I also just feel tired all the time. I mean i hardly keep up with my hygiene anymore, i don't cook or clean. My family or bf does that for me. Is this what I need to tell the judge when I go? I'm really nervous about the kinds of questions he will ask. Like why can't I work? I think all the medication I'm on explains why I can't work. I'm sedated all day long and feel like a zombie. It doesn't help my depression or anxiety at all. It's gotten so bad that I actually think about dying. Does that make me suicidal?

Closed Thread