It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User
SSD, a few questions for the experts

Hello Friends-

I'm gathering information for a possible claim if my situation gets worse. I have a few specific questions about the SSD process, and elegibility.

1) Should I ask my Docs for my medical records now? Going back how far?
2) Should I tell my Docs that I am or may be applying for SSD?
3) Are Docs generally supportive of this process?
4) What level of involvement do the Docs have in the process?
5) Is it best to outright quit my job or take a medical leave of absence?
6) I'm currently still employed (barely), am I required to inform them?
7) What is more important, length of illness or severity of illness?
8) How is age factored into the process, I'm approaching 50, I'm paid in, and fully insured.
9) How much can I expect to get?
10) Is it based on my prior income?
11) Do they look at prior tax returns or bank statements?
12) Do I need to be incapable of performing ANY work at all?

Many Thanks,

Iso

Old 04-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User
Re: SSD, a few questions for the experts

Hmmmm... No replies?

13) I requested psyche records from a therapist I had a couple of years ago. She said she would gladly respond to a request from Social Security or an Attorney... ? Don't I have a right to my own records?

Last edited by Isotope; 04-30-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
(female)

youtoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB User

I am not an expert but I will try to answer a few based on my helping my son

1 social security will request your records however it never hurts to have your own copies
2 giving your doctors a heads up can not hurt and my even help you get a feel of if your doctor will be helpful or not. Some doctors do not like having to deal with social security and there have been a couple of times reported on here where the doctor was actually very negative about helping.
3 Some doctors are supportive some are not.
4 A lot either yours or theirs often both.
5 Opinions on this vary best bet is obtain an attorney and follow their advice on this one.
6 no
7 Severity although it must be expected to last more than a year. Lots of people are ill for many years and able to work before the illness progresses to the point they can not work any longer. Examples would be those with MS, MD, COPD , or PAD all illness that can take years to progress to the point that one can no longer work. Flip side someone can be a car wreck and be unable to work almost instantly.
those are the question I know a bit about a good attorney can answer all you questions. And they will give a free consult and do not get paid unless you win your case.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
(female)

youtoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB User

I am not an expert but I will try to answer a few based on my helping my son

1 social security will request your records however it never hurts to have your own copies
2 giving your doctors a heads up can not hurt and my even help you get a feel of if your doctor will be helpful or not. Some doctors do not like having to deal with social security and there have been a couple of times reported on here where the doctor was actually very negative about helping.
3 Some doctors are supportive some are not.
4 A lot either yours or theirs often both.
5 Opinions on this vary best bet is obtain an attorney and follow their advice on this one.
6 no
7 Severity although it must be expected to last more than a year. Lots of people are ill for many years and able to work before the illness progresses to the point they can not work any longer. Examples would be those with MS, MD, COPD , or PAD all illness that can take years to progress to the point that one can no longer work. Flip side someone can be a car wreck and be unable to work almost instantly.
those are the question I know a bit about a good attorney can answer all you questions. And they will give a free consult and do not get paid unless you win your case.

The Following User Says Thank You to youtoo1955 For This Useful Post:
Isotope (04-30-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User

I am sorry to hear that you have got to the point that you have to apply for social security. Second on you on looking in advance. I just went through the process of applying and getting approved and am waiting for my letter. I requested all of my medical records and supplied them to social security. I also told my doctor's that I was going out on long term disability. And that I would apply for social security. Most of my doctors did not want to fill out a functioning report for me but good support me in my application. I think it is important to tell your doctor that you are applying for social security and if they will support you in your application the wording that they put in the file regarding your symptoms is very important for social security.

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

The Following User Says Thank You to sandiemas For This Useful Post:
Isotope (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User

I am not sure on that age factor but I am sure it is easier to get approved if you are closer to retirement age. I know that there is a 6 month waiting. And then you have to be disabled for more than 12 months. You also have to prove that you cannot do any type of work. Whether it be what you are trained for educationed 4. Weather there be any jobs out there. Or in your location. That does not matter it only matters that you can not do any work. You you're the best advocate. So following up and keeping track of your medical records is important and making sure that what is in your file really belongs there. I hired help from the disability advocate our group and they did a lot of legal stuff but I did all of the medical stuff

I hope this information helps and keep us posted on your application process this is a great forum for information a lot of people out there have been where you are and now are at the end of the process.

what is your disability if I can ask why are you applying. Is it something that is in the red book listing.

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Old 05-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sandiemas-

What is the red book?

In a nutshell I have been dx'd with the following:

Post Op GI funct disorder (Complications from Colectomy and reconstruction due to Ulcerative Colitis)
Chronic pain syndrome (Chronic Pseudo-colitis of reconstruction)
Generalized Anxiety
Panic Disorder

Basically I'm on pain meds and anxiety meds while at work, I'm functioning poorly, having panic attacks, becoming more paranoid and anti-social. Recently I had a bad string of days, nearly quit, hung on barely. I just don't know how much longer I can do it.

My GI issues are set off by my anxiety and panic -and vise versa. Currently my psyche issue are dominating but in the past my pain and GI functioning have dominated.

Thanx for the help.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope View Post
Sandiemas-

What is the red book?
***the ssa publication, listings, etc. do a search for it. I dont think I am allowed to put a link on the post but you can use the key words "ssa redbook".

In a nutshell I have been dx'd with the

Chronic pain syndrome (Chronic Pseudo-colitis of reconstruction)
***Chronic pain is a real issue, it can cause you irritability, anxiety, inability to focus, several symptoms, cause and effect.
Generalized Anxiety
***Anxiety as well. I have a real issue since my surgery that is linked.to prior issues but is completly out of control now and just made worse from medications and my inability to works and make a living.
Panic Disorder

Basically I'm on pain meds and anxiety meds while at work, I'm functioning poorly, having panic attacks, becoming more paranoid and anti-social. Recently I had a bad string of days, nearly quit, hung on barely. I just don't know how much longer I can do it.

My GI issues are set off by my anxiety and panic -and vise versa. Currently my psyche issue are dominating but in the past my pain and GI functioning have dominated.

Thanx for the help.

I am sorry that you are having these problems. If you are having a hard time at work I would talk to your doctor about some time off. He can write you a note to protect your job and "time in service". Do you have a short term disability insurance? Vacation? Sick pay? What state do you live in? I believe California has a state std probably other states as well you can call your local disability office or go online for info.

I hope this helps.

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Old 05-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope View Post
Hmmmm... No replies?

777yes you have a right to your own record. Normally you have to pay a fee and sign a release. I would ask the records department or receptionist they can lead you in the right direction. I alway request copies of my records I want to know what they are saying and I forget things so easily it is nice to have the reference especially when filing for ssa.

13) I requested psyche records from a therapist I had a couple of years ago. She said she would gladly respond to a request from Social Security or an Attorney... ? Don't I have a right to my own records?

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Closed Thread