It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
(female)

greyeagle56 HB User
Overage Son receives SSI but we have a problem

I will try to explain this as clearly as I can and just hope and pray someone understands me.
First of all hello to all, I'm new to the boards, seems to be a wealth of info here.
Now our problem,
Overage PDD Son, lives with his Dad and I in the family home where he has always lived. I am his Rep. Payee, I"m Mom.
Son has had SSI since 2004 and we have always just payed bills out of his money, bought food, what ever was needed to keep him happy and healthy. The money is in a seperate account but I do on occasion put small amounts of my own money, I work on computers here at home, in the account. If there was no SSI we provided his support. Thats what parents do isn't it?
Recently we have been lucky to find an inhome support for our Son who helps him with time, and shopping, handling money, getting out in the community. She really has been a blessing, so we thought.
She is now saying that I am misusing my Sons money, is trying to talk my son into moving into her home, she is paid provider as well, and under the guise of helping him learn how to handle his money is telling me I have to give my Son, as well as her, access to our bank accounts. The intimation is, is that if I do not she will report me to Social Security. My husband recently became disabled after doing fire sprinkler work for 33 years and has applied for disability, as I said I work on computers for local businesses but am home most of the time. We are already teetering on the edge and now this provider is trying to frighten me into giving access to our bank accounts to her.
Can someone tell me please does my Son have a right to his SSI account? I have talked to SSA they say he should not have physical access to his account. Twice I have been told this. I have told this to the person and she says it's his money and he has a right to it. He is his own person and overage and he, meaning her as well, has a right to it.
Second, Have I been doing something wrong? I have told SSA that the money is in an account that has my sons name and then my name. The bank set it up that way years ago with no problem, they even called SSA at the time the account was setup.
I have saved all receipts, boxes and boxes of them for all these years. I fill out the payee report every year. I report his wages every month from his three day a week job at Goodwill.
My family is about to go over the edge here and now we feel like we are being attacked from a person we trusted.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks for your patience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
(female)

junebugzz HB Userjunebugzz HB User
Re: Overage Son receives SSI but we have a problem

Hi, my brother is 47 years old and has paranoid sketzifrencia..can't spell it..my mom and dad have also been doing these samethings for him since he got this in his early 20's. They also pay bills with his money,buy him cigerettes,etc. and have built him a small little house up next to theres. I DO NOT want you to give in to this horrible person that is trying to CON you. Sounds like to me she is one of those people that try to get someones disability income for herself, I would think u could get some kind of legal document to make her stay out of contact with u and ur son. I don't know really what to say but I just want to Thank You for doing so much for your son, its ashame this world has people like that woman lurking around to try to destroy other peoples lives...Godbless u and urs
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyeagle56 View Post
I will try to explain this as clearly as I can and just hope and pray someone understands me.
First of all hello to all, I'm new to the boards, seems to be a wealth of info here.
Now our problem,
Overage PDD Son, lives with his Dad and I in the family home where he has always lived. I am his Rep. Payee, I"m Mom.
Son has had SSI since 2004 and we have always just payed bills out of his money, bought food, what ever was needed to keep him happy and healthy. The money is in a seperate account but I do on occasion put small amounts of my own money, I work on computers here at home, in the account. If there was no SSI we provided his support. Thats what parents do isn't it?
Recently we have been lucky to find an inhome support for our Son who helps him with time, and shopping, handling money, getting out in the community. She really has been a blessing, so we thought.
She is now saying that I am misusing my Sons money, is trying to talk my son into moving into her home, she is paid provider as well, and under the guise of helping him learn how to handle his money is telling me I have to give my Son, as well as her, access to our bank accounts. The intimation is, is that if I do not she will report me to Social Security. My husband recently became disabled after doing fire sprinkler work for 33 years and has applied for disability, as I said I work on computers for local businesses but am home most of the time. We are already teetering on the edge and now this provider is trying to frighten me into giving access to our bank accounts to her.
Can someone tell me please does my Son have a right to his SSI account? I have talked to SSA they say he should not have physical access to his account. Twice I have been told this. I have told this to the person and she says it's his money and he has a right to it. He is his own person and overage and he, meaning her as well, has a right to it.
Second, Have I been doing something wrong? I have told SSA that the money is in an account that has my sons name and then my name. The bank set it up that way years ago with no problem, they even called SSA at the time the account was setup.
I have saved all receipts, boxes and boxes of them for all these years. I fill out the payee report every year. I report his wages every month from his three day a week job at Goodwill.
My family is about to go over the edge here and now we feel like we are being attacked from a person we trusted.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You need to terminate her and find someone else. I know that might be disruptive to your son but she is trying to scare you into giving her control of his money. If she was on the up and up, she would have offered to put you in touch with someone in authority who could explain what you need to be doing, etc. I would get her as far away from your family as I could.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
(female)

youtoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyeagle56 View Post
Now our problem,
The whole reason for a rep payee is so someone like this can not take advantage of your son. Along with the fact they do not feel he is able to make choices about how his funds should be spent. Sounds like he is a young adult and I am pretty sure that if you divided house payment, utilities, and food his SSI pretty much gone. Like the IRS social security can do a random audit anyway which is why one keeps basic records. If this person was hired through something similar to places where you hire help for someone who is elderly I would turn them in to their superiors. If someone you hired on your own I would call their bluff so to speak as it sounds like you have done nothing wrong. Fire them and tell them you are not scared of an audit and once it completed you will make sure that Social Security is aware of their tactics. This almost borders on blackmail after all they are trying to insinuate that you could be in serious trouble if you do not give in to them when in fact if you do and they take advantage of your child then it would be on you.

You also may want to be aware that she may try to take your child to social security and get him to name her as his payee. While it is his right to do so it is also your right to request audits of her and they will be much stricter about proof with her. You say she is a paid provider do you mean she has a group home? If yes and you report her abuse of her it could trigger a full investigation of her it would not be the first time and will not be the last time someone started a group home in order to take advantage of those they are hired to help.

Now his income from work that is different if he wants it you may have to let him have it unless you have guardianship of him.

Closed Thread