It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
(male)

HisKid1973 HB User
Medicare options ???

My wife just lost her job/health care. I have part A medicare but was enrolled in a better health part B with hers. What are my options now regarding part B with medicare? Thanks and God bless

Old 05-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: Medicare options ???

I'm pretty sure you have a 60 day (I think) window period where you can sign up for part B without a penalty due to the "lifechange" of your wife loosing her job. If you wait too long you will end up paying a higher premium.

Good luck-

Pup

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Are you saying you used her job insurance rather than taking and paying for Part B when you became Medicare eligible? My husband is doing the same...took his Part A when he turned 65 but is still working and his company pays for his health insurance in full so he declined Part B and D for now.....about what you have done I'm guessing?

There used to be a penalty for not taking Part B and D when you got Part A but that was done away with as part of the new health care bill...first thing that went into effect. If you now want to start Part B, just contact Medicare and tell them you now want to sign up for Part B and possibly Part D(the drug coverage) or even an Advantage plan or a Medigap plan.. You can start it at any time.....that is what Medicare told us when my hubby opted out on his Part B.

Call them ASAP.

Jenny

Old 05-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
(male)

HisKid1973 HB User

Thanks for the help and the "life change" info she had an excellent plan that got so expensive this year we had to take the low option. We made 27k together and she even got a $250 bennie card to pay for deductibles. Seems changes with OB care really slammed us. I'll see what goes on in the next 60 days. They have this Humana care you can sign with, which I guess is a part B choice)

God bless.

Last edited by HisKid1973; 05-04-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I don't know what is available in your state but I took a BC/BS Blue Advantage plan that costs me nothing and has all the parts. You might look at one of those.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:26 AM   #6
(male)

HisKid1973 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I don't know what is available in your state but I took a BC/BS Blue Advantage plan that costs me nothing and has all the parts. You might look at one of those.

They still take a deduction off your SSDI correct?

Closed Thread