It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
(female)

mag777 HB User
Question Any advice appreciated

I AM A 45 YO FEMALE I HAVE HAD JUVENILE ONSET DIABETES SINCE I WAS 16 YO- FOR PAST 7-8 YRS I NO LONGER GET SYMPTOMS WHEN MY BLOOD SUGAR DROPS- I CARRY Candy EVERYWHERE I GO, EAT FREQUENT SMALL MEALS AND CHECK MY SUGAR OFTEN AND STILL HAVE EPISODES OF LOW BLOOD SUGAR- WHICH DUE TO THIS I HAVE LOST JOBS AND HAVE HAD MY DRIVERS LICENSE SUSPENDED A FEW TIMES- I RECENTLY WAS DIAGNOSED WITH COPD- I DID SMOKE BUT QUIT WHEN I GOT THIS DIAGNOSIS- I SMOKED FOR ALMOST 30 YEARS- I NOW USE A INHALER TWO TIMES A DAY BUT GET EXTREME SHORT OF BREATHE JUST WALKING 20-30 FEET. NEEDLESS TO SAY I ALSO AM VERY DEPRESSED- I CAN SLEEP 12-14 HOURS A DAY SOMETIMES , I AM TIRED ALL THE TIME REGARDLESS OF HOW MANY HOURS I SLEEP AND HAVE NO ENERGY- I GET SHORT OF BREATHE JUST MAKING THE BED- SOOO- I FILED FOR SSDI AND SSI ON 1-11-12. I HAVE NOT HAD HEALTH INSURANCE SINCE OCTOBER SO OCTOBER WAS THE LAST TIME I SAW THE DOCTOR THEREFORE THE SS SENT ME 2 LETTERS REQUIRING ME TO GO TO ONE APPOINTMENT WITH A PSYCHIATRIST AND ONE WITH A MEDICAL DOCTOR. SAD TO SAY BUT STRESS REALLY AFFECTS MY BLOOD SUGAR AND THE DAY OF MY PSYCHIATRIST APPOINTMENT MY BLOOD SUGAR DROPPED WAY LOW AND IT TOOK ME A WHILE TO GET IT UP SO I COULD DRIVE TO THE APPOINTMENT- I DID CALL TO INFORM THEM I WAS ON MY WAY AND I ARRIVED 15 MINUTES LATE- I DID EXPLAIN IN FULL DETAIL TO THE CASE WORKER THERE WHAT HAPPENED= AT THIS APPOINTMENT I COULDNT COUNT BACK FROM 100 BY 7'S I THINK I MADE IT TO 86 AND I WAS STUMPED, THEN I WAS GIVEN 3 ITEMS TO REMEMBER AND AFTER SEVERAL OTHER QUESTIONS I WAS ASKED TO REPEAT THESE BUT I COULD ONLY REMEMBER ONE- TWO DAYS LATER WAS THE MEDICAL APPOINTMENT HERE I WAS ASKED TO TOUCH MY TOES WHICH I FAILED TO DO, WAS ASKED TO FOLD HANDS BEHIND BACK AND TO PICK A OBJECT OF FLOOR AND LIFT OVER HEAD I COULD DO NONE OF THESE- THESE APPOINTMENTS WERE OVER 2 WEEKS AGO AND I HAVE NOT HEARD A THING- I HAVE SEEN HOW ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE TO FILE 2-3 TIMES OR MORE BEFORE BEING APPROVED- I TRULY AM UNABLE TO DO ANY KIND OF WORK AND WAS WONDERING IF IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA OR A BAD IDEA TO CALL MY SS CASE WORKER AND ASK ABOUT MY CASE- VERY NERVOUS- ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED....

Last edited by mag777; 05-15-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: change capitilazation

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Any advice appreciated

I think 2 weeks is too soon to ask but you might call and ask if she needs any more documentation or other paperwork from you. And I'm sure you capitalized your post to make it easier to read but on the Internet that is considered "yelling" at someone....just an etiquette FYI.....hope you get approved.

Last edited by Titchou; 05-17-2012 at 06:43 AM.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:32 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User

I agree, I definitely get the feeling I'm being "yelled at", so try to keep Caps at a minimum. Unfortunately the approval rates for first time applying are very low. Less than 25% I believe. This is a very long process, so please be prepared for that. I don't mean to discourage you, but some people are genuinely shocked when denied and shocked that it takes (for most people) a year or two minimum to get approved. So, hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst. And hire an attorney right away when/if denied. No Up-front Costs, they only get paid if/when you get approved. That's the best advice I can give. Good luck!

Old 05-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
(female)

TruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB User

I agree with Titchou and Whynowthis..I would call and ask if they need more paper work or anything, maybe they will let you know how far they've got in your case, I can't give you much advice myself, I'm new to this as well..Whynowthis is right, People are in shock when they get denied, I was because I know in my heart and soul I'm disabililed.. and with me my mental part the dr told me he was going to do everything on his part of the mental to help me, so I was let down pretty hard. So please don't get upset if your denied it's hard when you know you can't do the things you once could..they want you to give up.. I'm where you are only I'm at the appeal part.. and I do get so frustard but I need to hold my head up and go on, I filed my appeal and they sent me a letter saying my condition has worsen and wanted more infomation, but I didn't give them anything diff, still not sure why they say it's worsen, they want you to give up to see if you are able or will just go back to work, I've not got a attorney yet, I'm waiting to get denied on the appeal part if I do.. but a lot of people do get one right away and a lot of times it helps their case better. so my next around I'm getting one.. good luck to you and just know their is a lot of us out there where you are, so if you need to talk, you came to the right place. I'll do what I can to help. but like I said I'm new at this part. you came to the right place, there is a lot of very caring people here, that will try to help you on any advice you need. it's like a family here.. good luck and I'll be thinking about you.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
(female)

mag777 HB User

Well i finally heard from social security however they want me to now go to another scheduled appointment on june 15th to have a breathing test done- UGH- i am soo tired of this wait and yes i know i am not alone. The last respiratory test i had done almost a year ago showed i have lungs of a 90 year old- The way i feel everyday i dont see how i could be denied- PLEASE keep me in your prayers- this is my second time applying and it has been almost 6 months- any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Closed Thread