It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
(female)

Kittyk1 HB User
Words of Encouragement Needed for SSDI ALJ Hearing Date Wait

Hi. Iím new here. Normally Iím a very private person who just bottles everything up inside and deals with stuff that way. I came across this board yesterday and couldnít believe all the helpful, encouraging and uplifting things Iíve seen written here towards one another. So I thought I would come here asking for any words of encouragement or support from such a friendly supportive group of people while I wait for my SSDI hearing date with the ALJ to come in. Hopefully I will make a few great friends during the process as well. I would greatly appreciate and welcome any words or suggestions that you might have for me.

Itís been a month since my attorney and I filed all of the paperwork and additional forms so I understand I have to wait a while; however, it doesnít mean that miracles canít happen, right? Amongst my medical issues, the stress and strain is taking a toll daily and Iím miserable and dejected. How have you folks who have been there and done that before handled and coped with this? How do you keep your mind off of the wanting to run to the mail box all the time just to be disappointed again feeling? It has to get easier, right?

Thank you so much for taking the time to help and support me. I truly appreciate it.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kittyk1:
minnieme1982 (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
(female)

minnieme1982 HB Userminnieme1982 HB Userminnieme1982 HB User
Re: Words of Encouragement Needed for SSDI ALJ Hearing Date Wait

I know the feeling , I check the mail everyday for my husbands decision letter. My husband found out about the ALJ hearing date from his lawyer it took him about 6-8 months to get a hearing date, everything is just a waiting period . He had his hearing April 26th 2012 and he got a fully favorable bench decision meaning the judge told him he was approve at the hearing and that doesnt happen all the time. So now we are waiting for the decision letter, award letter, backpay and first payment. We kept ourselves occupied by finding something different to do so our minds is not on it so much. Try to keep yourself occupied.

The following user gives a hug of support to minnieme1982:
Kittyk1 (06-12-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to minnieme1982 For This Useful Post:
Kittyk1 (06-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
(female)

Kittyk1 HB User

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my message. I really appreciate it and it helps. I will be praying for you and your husband that you get your letter soon!

The Following User Says Thank You to Kittyk1 For This Useful Post:
minnieme1982 (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
(male)

magicssd HB Usermagicssd HB Usermagicssd HB User

For me it took about a year to get my ALJ hearing from when my attorney applied. I also received a fully favorable decision from the bench last week, so I am in the waiting for all the mail. My judge said that he was going to expedite the claim so hopefully that helps.

As far as coping...just live your life the best you can. Keep up on your doctor appts as good documentation is your best weapon for your hearing. I know all the waiting is tough but just know there is an end out there. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to magicssd For This Useful Post:
Kittyk1 (06-12-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
(female)

rachmad HB User

its hard i am going through the same thing and i am starting to obsess over things i want to be positive but am so used to being let down i am just numb all we can really do is wait and see what happens after u have ur hearing its all out of ur control so letting go of the situation is what im going to work on and prepare now since your waiting!!

Old 07-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #6
(male)

gulfvet92 HB User

Hello, I am new to this site as well. I filed for my SSDI in Aug. of 2010...I finally had my hearing this past April of 2012. My lawyer called me this past Wed.(July 11 2012) to inform me of the Fully Favorable decision and to congradulate me. I now am waiting for my fully favorable letter from the judge explaining his decision and then I guess from reading on here that I will then be waiting for an award letter and maybe in the mean time I may get my back pay...so there you go... I have lived on my VA service connection monthly check (70%) since 2006 (the last year that I was able to work)...it has been difficult and I have had a little help from family. I guess what I did is just forgot about it all...I got involved with other things to take my mind off of my ssdi claim. From what I have read, Ohio has one of the longest waiting periods. I kept my doctor's appointments, I tried to volunteer when I felt good, I visited family, just tried to forget about it. Then when the hearing came..that was the hardest waiting period to see if I had won my claim...I feel relief now, but there is still a waiting game until I can hold that award letter in my hand and see that deposit in my account. Hang in there and just try to stay busy.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
(male)

TNBubby HB User

Hi there. I just posted a pretty lengthy "thread" on this discussion board. I tried to be as honest and up front about the whole process as my wife and I have experienced. It is a pretty long discertation (smiles), but I think it will help you out BIG TIME. If you are waiting for your ALJ hearing, and this is the ONE thing that absolutely saved our whole case, is go to as many doctors as you can NOW. Your attorney should have given you (or he/she should have one TO give you now) a form called a "Physical Capabilities Form." You MUST take this to every Dr. you use and TRUST. They fill out allllll of the things on there that you can or cannot do. For example: Lifting. How much can you lift? How often? Can you lift anything, etc. MAKE SURE you take this to the doctors who will fill it out so it is fully favorable/complimentary to your disabilities. In other words, find doctors that will say (based on truth, hopefully :-) ) that you cannot lift anything, sit too long, stand at all, type at all, stare at a computer screen, etc. This is the EXACT form the ALJ and the Vocational Expert will review in determining if you are disabled...or if you actually can do any type of work. The "jobs" they review will not only be the ones based on your history, but it will be based on what you CAN do. Again, this will also be based on "can do" as per your "Physical Capabilities Form" your doctors fill out. Our attorney used only two of the dozen Dr's my wife sees. I don't know why, if it was due to time constraints at the hearing or just because that's all the ALJ would consider. But, again, get as a many Drs. you can fill it out and so it says you can't do ANYTHING at all. I hope this make sense. Last thing to fill your time: DO NOT call DDS or the hearing office at all. After your hearing, if you don't get a bench decision, wait at least 4 weeks before you call the "main" soc sec number. (see my post for details). Call the "hearing office" where you go for your ALJ hearing only after a minimum of 8 weeks. If you call sooner they will not do anything anyway. Then, just try and get into some daily hobbies or get out of the house as much as you can during the "waiting game." I'm sorry for replying so long here, but I can tell you that I SERIOUSLY know how you are feeling. All we wanted were some answers, advice and support from ANYONE and it just wasn't there. That is why I am so passinoate about making sure folks spread our story out so that nobody has to keep guessing what is going on . I pray for you and a speedy APPROVAL. Take GOOD care in the meantime!

Reply Reply