It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
(female)

Sandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB User
FMLA Confusion

I was thinking that FMLA had to do with keeping his job for the set amount of time his company allowed. Well, I already got that letter that his job was no longer protected by FMLA. Someone from work has told us that he will be terminated when his STD is up. Now for the confusing part, as I thought I wouldn''t have anymore contact from them.

I have received a letter (for my husband) from FMLA. It is saying "it is your responsibility to ensure that the enclosed form and Med Release Info form are completed by your doctor. If your request for an extension is approved, it is important that you remain in contact with us. It also talks about being required to use any paid time off, concurrently with your leave. I'm thinking he has not received any pay for sick day pay, just STD. I'm surprised to see they are requesting all this med info about why he can't do his job to extend his unpaid leave since he is being terminated Sept 5, so what is left to extend. I'm very confused.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: FMLA Confusion

FMLA does not send letters. It's a law. Did your hudband not have any paid sick leave that he took prior to going on STD? That is the normal way of doing it as STD is for when your sick days run out. I'm confused too!

Last edited by Titchou; 06-24-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
(female)

Sandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB User

ok, I was thinking it was FMLA because it was from the company that handles that, but they also handle leave of absence. He did not take any of his paid days off, and he can't even tell me how many he gets, because he can't remember. He had a stroke on Feb 29 and was healthy till then. So his STD took over immediately.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

His paid days off should have come first and then the STD. You normally have to use up any paid time before any disability kicks in. I'd talk with his HR department.

Closed Thread