It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
(female)

Ronni70 HB User
SSI award letter

My son was diagnosed with Agorophobia, schizoid personality disorder and possible aspberger's syndrom in 2002 (at age 14, after years of being in treatment). I applied for SSI benefits for him on 3/29/12.

We had not heard anything and it has been 4 weeks since his appointment with the psychiatrist. So I called today and spoke with a rep to try to find out if anything else was needed.

I was told that a determination was made on 6/29, but he could not notify me of the decision, because they are required to wait 5 days before they notify the applicant.

This is going to drive me crazy. I have to call back in 3 days to find out. Has this happened to anyone else?

I've spoken to other people who have applied and they have never heard of a 5 day wait to notify the applicant.

I guess I will just keep reading all of the message boards and live through those who have been approved.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: SSI award letter

I believe you can access the decision online at the SS Disability website under your son's social security number. Hope that works for you. They probably sent you a letter and are waiting the usual 5 days for postal delivery. One of those ridiculous government rules that you couldn't be told when you called. I would check your mailbox daily-it might come earlier.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
(female)

Ronni70 HB User

I have tried that, but I don't have a claim number. The application was done via phone and they sent a application summary but there was no claim number on it. I guess it wont kill me to wait a few more days.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
(female)

Ronni70 HB User

Update: We have not yet received the official letter, but I was able to speak with a rep at my local office, and my son's case was denied. I know that is normal for the first time you file. As soon as the letter is in my hand, I intend to find an attorney and appeal it.

My son will be 24 this month and has never had a drivers license. He has absolutely no friends and never leaves the house, nor does he have a desire to do any of these things. I think this system is so unfair. He saw their psychiatrist for 30 minutes and within those few minutes she determined that he was not disabled. What about the information received from his psychologist who has spent hours and hours with our family, trying to get to the bottom of my sons issues.

I am new to all of this, so I am not really sure how this process works, but hopefully the attorney we get will be able to get him approved.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Ronni70
Whynowthis (07-05-2012), youtoo1955 (07-05-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
(male)

MOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB User
Smile Re: SSI award letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronni70 View Post
Update: We have not yet received the official letter, but I was able to speak with a rep at my local office, and my son's case was denied. I know that is normal for the first time you file. As soon as the letter is in my hand, I intend to find an attorney and appeal it.

My son will be 24 this month and has never had a drivers license. He has absolutely no friends and never leaves the house, nor does he have a desire to do any of these things. I think this system is so unfair. He saw their psychiatrist for 30 minutes and within those few minutes she determined that he was not disabled. What about the information received from his psychologist who has spent hours and hours with our family, trying to get to the bottom of my sons issues.

I am new to all of this, so I am not really sure how this process works, but hopefully the attorney we get will be able to get him approved.

It really isnt fair, but we have no choice but to play it by their rules. Best chances are fighting it and people usually win. They just like to deny everyone so some give up and save the ssa some money but the ones that fight imo just have to put in the time. Good luck and be positive.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
(female)

youtoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronni70 View Post

Do not be so upset with the pyschiatrist they sent him to remember they are allowed to only test for those things that Social Security asks them to test for and if the person being tested does not meet the guidelines on what they are asked to test for then they have no choice but to say the do not. May I ask why you did not apply when he turned 18? Many parents of disabled adult children do not understand how very important that is to do. I know many parents think they do not need any help with their adult children or do not know at 18 they can get SSI as they are now an adult. Later when they do a lot of school records are lost or not used. Do not give up. You will need to show that he does not have the life skills needed to function in the world on his own like can he buy his own groceries, pay his own bills, understand how money works, take care of his personal needs with out being reminded, prepare his own meals. Does he become upset and emotional when he has to be in the outside world like crying to go home or angry because he is uncomfortable around others. These are all things that if he has issues with need to be documented and brought up to the Judge. More than likely with your child's disabilities they looked mainly at IQ and if he did not meet that criteria you have to prove those things that can not really be tested in an office. It can be done is just a bit harder so the process is longer. Yes you need a lawyer or to be working with a disabilities advocate. Best of luck and keep us posted for moral and emotional support.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
(female)

Ronni70 HB User

Thank you for the kind words.

He was diagnosed at age of 14, and looking back now, I should have started the process then. However, I had hoped it was a spell he was going through and that he would outgrow it and live a normal life. It is now 10 years later and he is no better at all. I honestly didnt give SSI much thought, I am his mother and I will take care of him, but at some point you start to think about your own mortality and what will happen to your children when you are gone.

I did receive the denial in the mail today and I have contacted an advocate but he is out of the office until Tuesday.

I know it is pretty common to receive a denial the first time, and I am hopeful with an advocate or an attorney that he will receive an approval.

He does get very emotional when he has to leave the home. We cannot go a mile and he starts complaining of headaches and nausea. Luckily he seldom has to go anywhere, and probably only leaves he house 2 times a year and that is for appointments and such.

Any thoughts on attorney vs. advocate? I just want to give him the best chance at an approval.

Thanks

Old 07-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
(female)

youtoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB User

[QUOTE=Ronni70;5013175]Thank you for the kind words.

He was diagnosed at age of 14, and looking back now, I should have started the process then. However, I had hoped it was a spell he was going through and that he would outgrow it and live a normal life. It is now 10 years later and he is no better at all. I honestly didnt give SSI much thought, I am his mother and I will take care of him, but at some point you start to think about your own mortality and what will happen to your children when you are gone.

I did receive the denial in the mail today and I have contacted an advocate but he is out of the office until Tuesday.

I know it is pretty common to receive a denial the first time, and I am hopeful with an advocate or an attorney that he will receive an approval.

He does get very emotional when he has to leave the home. We cannot go a mile and he starts complaining of headaches and nausea. Luckily he seldom has to go anywhere, and probably only leaves he house 2 times a year and that is for appointments and such.

Any thoughts on attorney vs. advocate? I just want to give him the best chance at an approval.

Thanks[/QUOTE

As the parent of a child diagnosed as mentally retarded I do completely understand everything you are saying. As far as attorney or advocate that is truly a matter of who you feel the most comfortable with. Remember you are employing them so if you do not like what they are saying or feel uncomfortable interview someone else. The advantage I feel an advocate may have is only dealing with Social Security issues.

Did he have IEPs when in school? Use them if he did. You may also want to consider and talk to who ever you choose to help trying to prove his disability started before he was 20. This is why when you his parents retire or say if something happens and one his parents become disabled he can draw from that parents record as an DAC ( disabled adult child ) . He may be eligible for more money as a DAC as well as say later in life he is able to work a part time job at someplace he feels safe like a sheltered workshop DAC is not affected by such a choice and SSI as it is so income dependent is. In order to be a DAC the disability must have started before 21. I will try to help with the stress if and when I can take heart you have began the process and your child is still at home so you do not have the worry of him being on the streets alone some parents have to deal with that heartbreak as well.

Reply Reply