It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
(female)

viking7779 HB User
Disability Question

Hi everyone!

I hope you can help me with my question.

I'm 46 and applied for SSD in June. I have 4 bulging discs, 4 herniated discs, & 1 annular tear, thoracic outlet syndrome (bilaterally), Raynard's syndrome, OA, major depression, OCD, carpal tunnel (left), TMJ, sleep apnea, anxiety, & fibromyalgia. I've had 31 surgeries for various injuries/illnesses.

I just quit my job in June because I was unable to do it. I was down to one day a week, a 12 hour shift. After working one day a week, I would be in bed for 3 days due to pain.

I'm currently being treated by a wonderful pain management physician and thankfully he doesn't treat me like I'm a drug seeker or like I'm crazy. We've tried a lot of different meds (morphine, methadone) and he just wrote an RX for oxycontin for pain and continue to take the percocet for breakthrough pain.

I did hire an attorney at the beginning of this journey since I was lost & didn't want to mess anything up, but I'm still getting frustrated as I feel like it's taking forever and a day. Then I read some of your posts and I think I'm being so foolish! Someone actually waited 8 years!!! OMG! You poor soul! ♥

Ok, my question is this....I haven't heard a peep from SS about my application, nor have I heard from my attorney except when I call to give them updates. Is this a good or bad sign? I know SS has requested my records from the PM physician since he told me that today. Should I be doing anything else?

Thank you ever SO much for any suggestions you can give me. Please be kind, this is my first post, I've been reading everything I could in case someone had something similar to myself.

Light, Love, & Blessings,
Tina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Disability Question

I'm afraid to say that SSD takes forever for most people. Mine took 2 years, one year to get denied then another to get a hearing, when I then got approved. The good news is if you've had 3 back surgeries, they usually approve you. Many get routinely denied the first round just to weed out some of the ones who try without much to go on, but lots of legit people get weeded out in the process. Don't give up, but it takes a lot of grit and patience. Having an attorney helped me and made the process more tolerable, as they are used to the shenanigans and know what the right buzzwords are to get it approved. Good luck, and I hope you have some money saved up to keep you going until the SSD comes thru. They pay you back to the date of your disability or application, so you at least get a lump sum initially.

The following user gives a hug of support to ladybud:
viking7779 (09-30-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
viking7779 (09-30-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
(female)

MagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB User

Hi, my advice is call the 1 800 # and ask what is going on with your case. Keep updated. Make it your job to stay aware. I don't recommend calling to often,but it's allowed. I also recommend making sure the SS and DDS are getting the records and correct info. I will not get to specific about the details as I think that's not allowed here. I think that's considered to be to negitive. But they have a tendency to "lose" or not "get" important papers. And make mistakes. Best of luck to you.

The following user gives a hug of support to MagicPotion:
viking7779 (09-30-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to MagicPotion For This Useful Post:
viking7779 (09-30-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
(female)

viking7779 HB User

Thank you both VERY much!!

The surgeries that are on my back are the Rhizotomies and Epideral injections, which my doctor and I consider a 'surgery', but I don't know if SS considers a surgery. My major surgeries have been on my knees, and I have had 5 of them in total.

I wasn't aware I could call the 800 number to see where the case was! Thank you for letting me know about that Magic!

I'm a fairly laid back and patient person, but for some reason this is driving me up a tree! lol Maybe because I have no control over what's going on. Guess I need to start meditating more, huh?

Again, thank you so very much Ladybug & MagicPotion for your replies. It helps to be able to ask questions and see if someone else has had the same experiences & to see what they have done to overcome them.

Light, love, & blessings to all,
Tina

Old 10-01-2012, 05:28 AM   #5
(female)

MagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB User

Glad I could help You can also call your local SSA you applied at. Sometimes the 1800# will often suggest that, if they can't answer certain questions I'm not sure for the reason,but it's happened to me. Oh, and the later you call the less wait you have, if you call the 1 800 # they close at 7 pm. Local SSA close earlier.

Last edited by MagicPotion; 10-01-2012 at 05:29 AM.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
(female)

achyFL HB User

Hi Tina,

Hope you don't mind me chiming in here. Don't forget about the 5 month waiting period for Soc Sec disability. If I understand it correctly, if you worked in June, once you are approved, July through November would be waiting period, and the earliest benefit would be for Dec. (payable in Jan.).

I was extremely fortunate. I last worked in Feb. of this year, applied in July, and to my great surprise had a payment deposited in my bank account last week. I have not yet received my award letter, but I suspect it went through so quickly because I have a very long history of doctor visits and tests, and I believe I met a listed condition. I know many others have had to be patient for years, and I admire them for their persistence and ability to see it through.

Reply Reply