It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
(female)

AutisticMom HB User
SSI Approved. Backpay?

Hello All. New member posting for the 1st time.

I'm very pleased to report that I was blessed enough for my 5 yr old son to be approved for SSI. He has Autism and a host of other issues. Still wearing diapers and can hardly speak. He was first diagnosed by his Neurologist in 2009. My then husband tried to apply for SSI. He filled out the application online. Received a date to go into the office. They took some info and then he got the rejection letter in the mail; citing he made too much money. He was the only one working and we had a household of 4(our 7yr old autistic son is included in that number).

Fastforward to 2012. We are now divorced and so I applied for my son on my own. 3 months later, he's approved. I'm so grateful and thankful as we were really struggling financially and I've heard how hard it is for so many others.

I first received the phone call saying he was approved. Shortly after, the backpay check for those 3 months arrived. Then a couple of days ago we finally got the award letter stating he was approved and how much he'd get.

My question is, for SSI, does it matter that his first original application date was in 2009 and was rejected because my then husband made too much? They went back to my application date being when *I* applied in 2012.

Also, they labeled him disabled since 2012. They put his date of disability for the day after I went in and applied. His records show he was first diagnosed in 2009.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
(female)

youtoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB User
Re: SSI Approved. Backpay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutisticMom View Post
Hello All. New member posting for the 1st time.

I'm very pleased to report that I was blessed enough for my 5 yr old son to be approved for SSI. He has Autism and a host of other issues. Still wearing diapers and can hardly speak. He was first diagnosed by his Neurologist in 2009. My then husband tried to apply for SSI. He filled out the application online. Received a date to go into the office. They took some info and then he got the rejection letter in the mail; citing he made too much money. He was the only one working and we had a household of 4(our 7yr old autistic son is included in that number).

Fastforward to 2012. We are now divorced and so I applied for my son on my own. 3 months later, he's approved. I'm so grateful and thankful as we were really struggling financially and I've heard how hard it is for so many others.

I first received the phone call saying he was approved. Shortly after, the backpay check for those 3 months arrived. Then a couple of days ago we finally got the award letter stating he was approved and how much he'd get.

My question is, for SSI, does it matter that his first original application date was in 2009 and was rejected because my then husband made too much? They went back to my application date being when *I* applied in 2012.

Also, they labeled him disabled since 2012. They put his date of disability for the day after I went in and applied. His records show he was first diagnosed in 2009.

Thanks for any help.
For a child getting SSI what you went through is pretty standard procedure. It is also normal for them to put the start date as the date you apply. This is because it is income based so unlike SSDI for an adult you can not go back farther if you have an earlier start date. You could have reapplied the same day you separated . My son is a good example of that we have reams of proof that he was disabled from birth but as he was not approved for SSI until shortly after he turned 18 his start date is his 18th birthday. it was the first day our income did not count.

Continue to keep all your records for your son as you will have to reapply for him when he turns 18 as an adult. Also know if you remarry they will count you new husband's income. Please do not think I am trying to tell you not to marry just something that they do not tell you. It can be shock to find out after the fact if the new family was counting on that income to continue.

The Following User Says Thank You to youtoo1955 For This Useful Post:
AutisticMom (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
(female)

AutisticMom HB User
Smile Re: SSI Approved. Backpay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youtoo1955 View Post
For a child getting SSI what you went through is pretty standard procedure. It is also normal for them to put the start date as the date you apply. This is because it is income based so unlike SSDI for an adult you can not go back farther if you have an earlier start date. You could have reapplied the same day you separated . My son is a good example of that we have reams of proof that he was disabled from birth but as he was not approved for SSI until shortly after he turned 18 his start date is his 18th birthday. it was the first day our income did not count.

Continue to keep all your records for your son as you will have to reapply for him when he turns 18 as an adult. Also know if you remarry they will count you new husband's income. Please do not think I am trying to tell you not to marry just something that they do not tell you. It can be shock to find out after the fact if the new family was counting on that income to continue.
Thank you for the response. It makes sense now. I will keep all his records. I believe they go up for re-evaluation every 3 yrs. In any case, I'm keeping EVERYTHING. lol

I'm feeling incredibly blessed. On cloud nine even.

Reply Reply