It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
(female)

farmgirl01 HB User
Scared to death about disability hearing.

Hi yall, Im new here and I was wondering if I can ask a question?

I'm 20 years old and I was born with alot of birth defects ( I don't really want to go into those just yet.) I have a disability hearing at the end of the week so I can try to get money to pay for surgeries that I need and my medical supplies.

Long story short, Im a nervous wreck about this hearing. Everytime I even think about it my heart starts racing, I get sweaty, breathing becomes harder. I basically have a panic attack. I'm so scared I'm going to get in there and forget everything and just be sitting there like "duhh". I have a lawyer, but I've never met him in person. I've NEVER been in a position like this before and it's literally making me crazy. I've put my entire life on hold so I can get surgeries that I need to live a normal life and If this falls through I don't know what I'll do. I feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders.

If anyone here has been through the disability hearing process can you tell me how it went? What did the judge ask you? Is it REALLY as terrifying as I'm making it out to be in my head? (Be honest, I want the true good or bad). I would really appreciate if someone can tell me your personal story of how yours went. Maybe it will calm my nerves. Hopefully it will help.

Thank you!!!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: farmgirl01
ann1209 (10-02-2012), Whynowthis (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User
Re: Scared to death about disability hearing.

Take a deep breath and calm down. I know it's scary! But looking back, it's not as bad as it seems. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Will you meet your attorney beforehand? Or speak with them to get prepped beforehand? Most will prep you beforehand. I was told my hearing would be about an hour or longer, and it was only 20-25 minutes. The judge explained to me first what all would be happening. Then my attorney spoke (and did most of the speaking) and explained why my case should be approved. The judge asked me some questions like do I exercise, what do I do during the day, did I go out and socialize, did I have hobbies that I did, did I do housework, cook, laundry, (since I can't, who does it for me) (all trying to see if you ARE able to work, and if your testimony is credible). Then the Judge asked the VE (vocational expert) if there were any jobs I could do, and she listed a few, and then my attorney stated my restrictions and asked if there were any jobs I could do and she said no. Then it was wrapped up. The judge showed NO emotion or expression. They are trained not to, just so you know and aren't shocked. But overall I spoke the least amount of everyone in the room, lol.
I too was soooooo nervous but afterwards felt relief and was glad to know it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
I would definitely get in touch with your attorney though and ask for some prep questions so you are prepared. Good luck to you!! Be sure to come back and let us know how it all went for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
(female)

Lindafox99 HB User

So what happens if you do socialize? Or do limited housework? Kids and hubby carry heavy things up and down the steps. I sit on the floor to vacuum because no one else will, etc.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User

I said I do socialize but it's limited to a couple of times a year and its just usually dinner out with friends. (We all have to eat, and there's nothing strenuous about that). I think they were looking for answers like "yes, every week I go out ice-skating" something that would contradict my other testimony. And I assist with very light housework only like loading the dishwasher. Basically they are looking for inconsistencies. If you say you can't walk more than 5 minutes, and can't carry more than 5lbs, do you go grocery shopping? Because you would be walking more than that, and if you carry in your groceries, a gallon of milk is about 8lbs, so it makes you look like a liar. It's all about credibility. I only go to the store for light trips where I'm in and out, otherwise for large shopping trips I send my roommate. Some things you have to do, and I think they know it, but they just want to make sure your testimony matches up with your limitations of your disease.

Reply Reply