It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
(female)

leonap HB User
Do doctors frown upon the uninsured?

Hi..I lost my health insurance about a year ago..I just couldnt pay it anymore.I had individual insurance,the price kept going up,and if it wasnt paid EXACTLY by the due date,the provider would NOT cover anykind of tests that I had done if I was late paying...I have several health problems and go into my doctors every few months..That was another problem,the provider would NOT cover any of my pre-existing health issues.At first when I went into my doctors for a visit,they would ask me if I had got isnsurance yet..I kept saying no,,not yet...Well,after awhile,they seem to be treating me differently...They are cordially friendly,but not like they were before.I brought up today,some health problems I wanted some simple blood tests done,and was basically shuffled in and out,,and getting a feeling this doctor didnt believe my symptoms or even care to.I havent been feeling well for awhile,and feel like I am being dismissed as an UNINSURED person,who basically no doctor can make money off of.Do doctors prefer the INSURED?do they make more "money" off the insured?is their job easier if insured..Do they think the uninsured doctor shop or something?Cripe..I cant pay for one doctor,let alone anymore...I feel so sick,so tired,so dismissed,so degraded,so unvalidated,,I just want to cry..How can I go to another doctor for a second opinion,when the doctor who Ive had for years and trusted wont even try to help me ...( I am searching for answers,tests on connective tissue illneses)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Do doctors frown upon the uninsured?

Am sorry you are having this issue. I do have a question. Are you asking them to treat you for free or are you paying cash at the time of the visit? If you are paying cash at time of service, then they don't usually signify any difference - unless, of course, you complain about having to do it. I can see where they wouldn't want to deal with that. If you are asking them to do it pro bono (for free) then they do have the right to decline to do so.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
(female)

leonap HB User

Thank you for your response!No,I pay cash and have NO problem with doing so.I never say a word about what I pay or the amount..I have no balance from when I previously had insurance and had a copay..I am paid up in full.I wasnt sure if doctors got some sort of "kickback" like they do from pharmacies,when they prescribe their drugs alot..I wasnt sure if the doctors had a quota of some sort,and through insurance,they made more money off the patient due to the provider paying,and the patient paying,if that makes any sense..I had actually read somehwere,that alot of doctors were actually encouraging cash payments due to the increase of insurance problems...and all the paper work that goes with it...But I dont know if that is exactly true,as it seems since I lost my insurance,I havent been treated as I was before.I walk in the door,pay,,wait alittle,get taken back,doctor rushes in,signs my refills,and seems to dismiss any questions I have,as if I dont know my own body or what Im talking about,as if Im wasting his time....????

Old 10-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User

Hello and I can feel your pain. The price of health insurance is so high that very few can pay for it out of their pocket. Sure if you work for a big company and they have group insurance you are OK but not everyone has that option. In 2014 when the Obama Health Plan goes into effect everyone should be able to have health insurance because they are supposed to subsidize the premium to your income. Yes, up to 100% if you don't have group and you are lower income. I think it is good for everyone in the US to have insurance and everyone pays their fair share.

Last edited by 52ken; 10-13-2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: grammer

Old 10-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
(female)

leonap HB User

Thank You also Ken for your response!We can hope things work out for us here in USA and all over the world for that matter..Every child,woman,man deserves equal and proper medical care despite their income,background,pre-existing illness or whatever it is they may be dealing with.My cat has an autoimmune illness,and his care from his doctors has been excellent,despite the fact that he has no health insurance! Maybe I should go to the vets!!!!They seem to care more at times,and dont discriminate..I can pay cash,or make payments on his care if I am "short" financial wise..I just dont understand our system anymore.Was it created by the distrust of those who refused to pay the doctors after they were given proper care,,or was it caused by greed of some doctors-NOT ALL- who just want to become rich.I dont know.......But thank you both for your care in taking the time to give me your thoughtful input.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Typically a cash patient pays more than the insurance company as the insurance companies have negotiated with the doctors to send patients their way, creating more business so that the docs will take less money. It may be that they are concerned that you can't pay for tests, etc and that the office visit money is all they'll get. It certainly would be a good question to ask - do you view me differently since I do not have insurance?

Old 10-23-2012, 04:29 AM   #7
(male)

berkeley3525 HB Userberkeley3525 HB User

I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. Since you're paying cash, I don't see what the Doctor's problem is. Why not look for another doctor that's recommended who is older and shows more compassion. Another question: Do you qualify for Medicaid?
Does the State you live in or City have any programs for those you have financial issues and need medical care? We have 50 Million in the USA living in poverty. Where do they go for medical attention. You should not have to be treated disrespectfully because you don't have Insurance.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
(male)

August59 HB User

They make more money from a cash patient than they do insured, medicare and medicaid patients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeley3525 View Post
I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. Since you're paying cash, I don't see what the Doctor's problem is. Why not look for another doctor that's recommended who is older and shows more compassion. Another question: Do you qualify for Medicaid?
Does the State you live in or City have any programs for those you have financial issues and need medical care? We have 50 Million in the USA living in poverty. Where do they go for medical attention. You should not have to be treated disrespectfully because you don't have Insurance.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
(male)

August59 HB User

Always ask if they will give a discount if someone with no insurance pays with cash. I have 2 that take 40% off and the othe takes 25% off. They say they still come out better that way than they do with insured patients. As far as Medicaid in South Carolina. I had 2 Primary doctors and I picked one and I cannot understand one word he says. I'm sorry if it sounds mean, but it is the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonap View Post
Thank you for your response!No,I pay cash and have NO problem with doing so.I never say a word about what I pay or the amount..I have no balance from when I previously had insurance and had a copay..I am paid up in full.I wasnt sure if doctors got some sort of "kickback" like they do from pharmacies,when they prescribe their drugs alot..I wasnt sure if the doctors had a quota of some sort,and through insurance,they made more money off the patient due to the provider paying,and the patient paying,if that makes any sense..I had actually read somehwere,that alot of doctors were actually encouraging cash payments due to the increase of insurance problems...and all the paper work that goes with it...But I dont know if that is exactly true,as it seems since I lost my insurance,I havent been treated as I was before.I walk in the door,pay,,wait alittle,get taken back,doctor rushes in,signs my refills,and seems to dismiss any questions I have,as if I dont know my own body or what Im talking about,as if Im wasting his time....????

Reply Reply