It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
(female)

itsjustme74 HB User
Question Fully Favorable but really confused and conflicted...

I received my letter today but my issue is I have been trying to be a "normal" person (diagnosed with panic/anxiety disorder, major depressive disorder, and bipolar II as well as mild agoraphobia) and found a job about 6 weeks ago. I have NO idea what to do. Should I quit now or wait until I start receiving benefits. Will this affect the decision? (Will they change their minds?) Any insight would be appreciated. In the six weeks I have been working my illnesses have crept up and been an issue and I can definitely see them becoming a bigger issue probably leading to termination eventually, that's how all my jobs have ended.

Last edited by itsjustme74; 10-25-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Add info about job.

The following user gives a hug of support to itsjustme74:
sickandtired99 (10-26-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 05:04 AM   #2
(female)

sickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB Usersickandtired99 HB User
Re: Fully Favorable but really confused and conflicted...

Congratulations on your approval!

I think it depends on how much have you been making per week. I think you can be a part of the return to work ticket or something similar and attempt to go back to work - the ssa has info on their site that talks about it...did you have an attny? if so just a general question to them might be able to answer correctly

Last edited by sickandtired99; 10-26-2012 at 05:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
(female)

itsjustme74 HB User
Unhappy Recently approved for disability now what.....

I got my "fully favorable" letter last week. This whole process has been a roller coaster and I had actually just gave up on it and "tried" to have a normal life. I was diagnosed Panic/Anxiety with mild agoraphobia, major depressive disorder and Bipolar II. So now that I found out that I AM in fact disabled I am going to have to quit the work I had been doing because I believe it is over the limit I would be allowed to earn while on disability. I feel like I am in a wind tunnel and just totally confused. I called off today because I feel myself "sliding" like I usually do before a major depressive episode hits and thinking about calling off the rest of the week. They told me that I would hear from SSA about my benefits with in 60 days, my letter was dated 10/17. Seeing it all in black and white made it extremely REAL to me and of course I have no one to talk to because no one I know sees mental illness as a 'real' disability.

Any suggestions, words of encouragement or experience sharing would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
(male)

August59 HB User
Re: Recently approved for disability now what.....

I'm surprised you got disabilty while working. That almost never happens, especially if you were making over the $1040 that is allowable

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustme74 View Post
I got my "fully favorable" letter last week. This whole process has been a roller coaster and I had actually just gave up on it and "tried" to have a normal life. I was diagnosed Panic/Anxiety with mild agoraphobia, major depressive disorder and Bipolar II. So now that I found out that I AM in fact disabled I am going to have to quit the work I had been doing because I believe it is over the limit I would be allowed to earn while on disability. I feel like I am in a wind tunnel and just totally confused. I called off today because I feel myself "sliding" like I usually do before a major depressive episode hits and thinking about calling off the rest of the week. They told me that I would hear from SSA about my benefits with in 60 days, my letter was dated 10/17. Seeing it all in black and white made it extremely REAL to me and of course I have no one to talk to because no one I know sees mental illness as a 'real' disability.

Any suggestions, words of encouragement or experience sharing would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
(female)

itsjustme74 HB User
Unhappy Re: Recently approved for disability now what.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by August59 View Post
I'm surprised you got disabilty while working. That almost never happens, especially if you were making over the $1040 that is allowable
I wasn't working when I applied almost two years ago. I started working a month and a half ago when I panicked and gave up on my attempt to win my hearing. That's my question. I know its not usual to apply and get approved while working. My question was and still is, do I need to quit? I'm pretty sure my money is going to start soon and I don't want any overlaps resulting in overpayments, etc. I didn't work at all last week because I was depressed and kept having anxiety attacks because of my confusion.

I am just looking for some direction here, if possible, not a lecture or a rundown of rules I already know. I am scared and frustrated enough as it is. I just need some understanding that's all. If I have to/need to quit I will.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:16 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

ozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB User

Do you make more than $1,000 in a month (gross pay)? If you do, you might consider quitting so that you don't lose your benefits. Whether you make more than $1,000 or not, you need to inform SSA that you are working. You are required to report any change in employment status (getting or losing a job).

I hope this information helped.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
(female)

itsjustme74 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozfan79 View Post
Do you make more than $1,000 in a month (gross pay)? If you do, you might consider quitting so that you don't lose your benefits. Whether you make more than $1,000 or not, you need to inform SSA that you are working. You are required to report any change in employment status (getting or losing a job).

I hope this information helped.
It does help thank you. I know what I need to do now. I am going to resign. I am.just lost in this while process. Thank you for your insight.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
It does help thank you. I know what I need to do now. I am going to resign. I am.just lost in this while process. Thank you for your insight.
If you can work work because when the ssa finds out and the will through the IRS ,and it's over the amount you can make and you quit than the ssa will look at it as you scaming them. And IMO you will be kicked off and will have to repay. So it looks like you were not disabled after all since you found a job. If you were really disabled you would not be working. You cannot fool the ssa they will find out ,your ss# is all they need. My advice to you is work. Like I said if you quit the ssa will want to know why, they will say thet you were not disabled because you did find a job. Do the right thing.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
(female)

itsjustme74 HB User
Angry Re: Recently approved for disability now what.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann04 View Post
If you can work work because when the ssa finds out and the will through the IRS ,and it's over the amount you can make and you quit than the ssa will look at it as you scaming them. And IMO you will be kicked off and will have to repay. So it looks like you were not disabled after all since you found a job. If you were really disabled you would not be working. You cannot fool the ssa they will find out ,your ss# is all they need. My advice to you is work. Like I said if you quit the ssa will want to know why, they will say thet you were not disabled because you did find a job. Do the right thing.
Ok first no one is trying to scam anyone. Not now or have I ever. That is not the type of person I am. Yes I did find a job that I can BARELY make it through the day without an anxiety attack of some sort. And I had help finding this because I was so freaked out by the SSA process I didn't want to continue. You don't know me to say I am not or was not disabled. I have been under care for over 5 years hospitalized twice and in outpatient programs more times than I wanna remember. In my paperwork it states the ALJ felt I wouldn't be able to hold a job without numerous episodes and recurrent absences. So before you start judging people maybe you need to get the whole story and history of a person. I have worked in the past and been fired or let go for the same reasons stated in my letter. So unless you know what it's like to constantly be in a bathtoom stall crying and not at your desk or having to call in becasuse your so depressed you can't get off the couch to feed yourself or your kids please don't judge me. That is not what I came here for. If I was trying to scam why would I be so anxious for help and direction?

The following user gives a hug of support to itsjustme74:
Whynowthis (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
Ok first no one is trying to scam anyone. Not now or have I ever. That is not the type of person I am. Yes I did find a job that I can BARELY make it through the day without an anxiety attack of some sort. And I had help finding this because I was so freaked out by the SSA process I didn't want to continue. You don't know me to say I am not or was not disabled. I have been under care for over 5 years hospitalized twice and in outpatient programs more times than I wanna remember. In my paperwork it states the ALJ felt I wouldn't be able to hold a job without numerous episodes and recurrent absences. So before you start judging people maybe you need to get the whole story and history of a person. I have worked in the past and been fired or let go for the same reasons stated in my letter. So unless you know what it's like to constantly be in a bathtoom stall crying and not at your desk or having to call in becasuse your so depressed you can't get off the couch to feed yourself or your kids please don't judge me. That is not what I came here for. If I was trying to scam why would I be so anxious for help and direction?
Just be prepared for the ssa to get a hold of you about this job,once the IRS reports its earnings to them. You better tell your attorney and see what you have to do. I had someone file a tax return useing my ss# for tha tax year of 2011 I have been on ssdi since 2010 so the IRS has reported to the ssa that I was working. I had to jump through hoops to prove identy theft,the ssa was going to kick me off ssdi and I would have to repay all that I have collected and was going to bring charges aginst me. So the ssa will see that you were working while you were trying to get ssdi. Sorry I said scaming it ticks me off that people are on ssdi and working under the table,or other means.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
(female)

itsjustme74 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann04 View Post
Just be prepared for the ssa to get a hold of you about this job,once the IRS reports its earnings to them. You better tell your attorney and see what you have to do. I had someone file a tax return useing my ss# for tha tax year of 2011 I have been on ssdi since 2010 so the IRS has reported to the ssa that I was working. I had to jump through hoops to prove identy theft,the ssa was going to kick me off ssdi and I would have to repay all that I have collected and was going to bring charges aginst me. So the ssa will see that you were working while you were trying to get ssdi. Sorry I said scaming it ticks me off that people are on ssdi and working under the table,or other means.
I haven't received a check or award letter or anything yet just my judges decision. My thought was to try to gain control (research SSA's ticket to work, etc) before I spiralled and had a meltdown but that's obviously not gonna happen. Mentally and emotionally I can't hold it together. And I agree that people who do try to get over are just wrong. I also had to file a claim with the FTC for identity theft last year for the same reason you stated. I am not trying to make my life harder to steal from the government. If I honestly thought I could hold down a job without having daily meltdowns or missing numerous days I would try to work like normal people. I was out all last week because of my anxiety and depression so of course people are looking at me funny because I miss so much and it's only a temp job so I won't be surprised if I get fired. I wanna do what's right, not just by SSA, but by ME for my health's sake.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I haven't received a check or award letter or anything yet just my judges decision. My thought was to try to gain control (research SSA's ticket to work, etc) before I spiralled and had a meltdown but that's obviously not gonna happen. Mentally and emotionally I can't hold it together. And I agree that people who do try to get over are just wrong. I also had to file a claim with the FTC for identity theft last year for the same reason you stated. I am not trying to make my life harder to steal from the government. If I honestly thought I could hold down a job without having daily meltdowns or missing numerous days I would try to work like normal people. I was out all last week because of my anxiety and depression so of course people are looking at me funny because I miss so much and it's only a temp job so I won't be surprised if I get fired. I wanna do what's right, not just by SSA, but by ME for my health's sake.
I would still get a hold of the ssa because when you start to recive you're bennifit's latter down the road the ssa will contact you about your job you just quit ,because it's going to reflect that you were working while trying to get ssdi. I ont want you to get into legal trouble.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

ozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB User

You can work and still get SSDI as long as you don't make more than $1,000 per month (the amount may be more since I had applied). I was working part time when I applied for and was approved for benefits. I was well short of the Substantial Gainful Activity amount. I lost my job about a year later.

Looking into the Ticket to Work program is a good idea. Your work at the moment might be considered a trial work period. If it is, your benefits may not be affected. You will only find out if you ask.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
(female)

itsjustme74 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozfan79 View Post
You can work and still get SSDI as long as you don't make more than $1,000 per month (the amount may be more since I had applied). I was working part time when I applied for and was approved for benefits. I was well short of the Substantial Gainful Activity amount. I lost my job about a year later.

Looking into the Ticket to Work program is a good idea. Your work at the moment might be considered a trial work period. If it is, your benefits may not be affected. You will only find out if you ask.
Thank you so much for sharing you information. Should I wait to receive my award letter or contact them now? I kinda already know this job isn't gonna work out but if I can do something parttime from home to accommodate my mild agoraphobia and anxiety I would like to. Thank you again I am crying right now because I feel like I'm understanding a little more. Thank you.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yes the ticket to work program is after you are granted ssdi. But in her case she was working while waiting for ssdi, that is different. Because you are working prior to getting ssdi,when the ssa finds out this it might cause a problem because if you are disabled you cannot work while waiting to get it. The ticket to work is after you are on ssdi not before. Go ahead and do what you want but be warned that I told you so. Everybody thinks they can have it both ways by saying there disabled while waiting but are working, that's what gets people into trouble ,the ssa will find out.

Reply Reply