It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
(male)

dtja24 HB User
Fully Favorable

Got a call from social security office yesterday, and was approved. They had been callin my attorny for nine days and was unable to reach him. I started this process in Janiary of this year, and don't have to go to a hearing. Where I am confused at is they said I was approved for both SSI and SSDI. Took all my information and said to watch my bank account. I am so happy, this couldnt of came at a better time.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
(female)

youtoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB User
Re: Fully Favorable

Congrats being approved. Being approved for both simply means that your regular Social Security benefits where less than than the minimum amount that was determined several years ago was the least amount that someone who was either retired or disabled would need in order to survive. Understand that the SSI part is based on your family income so if your income changes it changes so say if you are married and your spouse gets another job or a raise you must report those changes and you SSI will be adjusted. Regular Social Security is not affected by such things as a spouses income changes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User

Congrats on your approval!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User

OR being approved for both can simply mean you make ABOVE the minimum for SSDI, BUT you have very limited resources, so you are being approved SSI for the 5 month waiting period. That was the case with me. I make around 1500 a month, but at the time of filing I had NOTHING, no income, no savings, nothing, so I was approved for SSI for the first 5 months ($674 a month), THEN it switched to my regular SSDI on month 6. A lot of people don't know about this benefit, or have been told erroneously that you can't get both, but if you have next to nothing you can. Also, people are told (by people on these boards) it slows down their backpay, but it is not much. I had $2000 of it within DAYS, and then received all of my backpay within 6 weeks. A lot of people say it takes that long to get all their backpay for just SSDI alone anyways! A little wait was worth 5 months of payment @ $674!!!! I encourage everyone who has limited resources to apply for BOTH SSI, and SSDI!!

Last edited by Whynowthis; 11-30-2012 at 08:59 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Whynowthis For This Useful Post:
youtoo1955 (11-30-2012)
Reply Reply