It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
(male)

Tommy212 HB User
Arrow Not able to afford insurance & no longer eligible for Medicaid

Hello all! So I'm not sure where to begin so I'll make this short. I have been on medicaid for nearly a decade and because of a recent transfer that I've done at my work place I will no longer be eligible for medicaid. Unfortunately I fall into the category of not earning enough to afford healthcare but earn just enough to not be able to get medicaid. I am extremely worried at what will happen to me as I have several pre-existing conditions that constantly gets me sent to the PCP and even the ER every once in awhile.

Now I know what everyone will say, why not get insurance through the workplace (I think this is called group insurance). However one of the biggest problems with that is my workplace unfortunately has a set minimum number of hours to maintain the insurance. Once the minimum number of hours is below the threshold the insurance automatically gets cancelled. The problem is the company has an extremely unpredictable number of hours they give to there employees based off of how business is. Hours are reduced DRASTICALLY when they predict business gets slow which will automatically cancel the group insurance.

I am at a total loss on what to do. After some research on the internet I have heard of a policy called 'Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan' for NY residence.

http://www.healthcare.gov/law/features/choices/pre-existing-condition-insurance-plan/ny.html

Unfortunately there are certain requirements that must be met to be eligible to get the insurance and after looking at the requirements I do meet all but one of those requirements. One of those requirements is to be uninsured for a half year or longer to get the insurance and unfortunately because of the medicaid that's about to expire I won't be eligible for this insurance either.

I am asking for help for information on what else I can do for my pre-existing conditions. Is there anything out there that can help people like me?

EDIT: One thing I did not mention. I did hear of COBRA insurance and that it was suppose to help people maintain there workplace insurance but I'm not exactly sure on the details of cobra and how it works. Can anyone clarify as to what this is? Will this basically cover the same expenses that I would have if I had insurance through work or will it not cover as much?

Last edited by Tommy212; 01-14-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
(female)

RTgirl2011 HB UserRTgirl2011 HB UserRTgirl2011 HB UserRTgirl2011 HB User
Re: Not able to afford insurance & no longer eligible for Medicaid

Cobra is insurance you can purchase when you are between insurances. For example when you switch jobs. It will cover you for the 90 days that you don't have insurance. However is it very expensive. It covers everything that your insurance covered.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

If you can't afford health insurance then you won't be able to afford Cobra. The Cobra program allows you to stay in your employer's health plan when your hours are too low. Except that you would have to pay the full amount of the premium during those periods. That doesn't really work for you if it's unaffordable.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
(female)

Summer526 HB User

i, too, was in a similar situation recently. I obtained the pre-existing insurance through my state and also did not meet the same requirements. In Md, I was able to get the insurance and waive the 6 month clause by paying a bit more each month. It's not the best option, but it is better than being without insurance. I hope this helps.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
(female)

sadgirl74 HB Usersadgirl74 HB User

in colorado or at least in denver we have CHCP cards from like jeffco action center. my room mate was unemployed at times and some times employed and just didnt have insurance ever so we got him a card for free and his office visits are very cheap like 20 bucks and the er if needed is like 35 i think.

Reply Reply