It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Insurance issues after car accident

Hi all. I saw my pain managment doctor today as follow up for the pain pump. As to that things go well. Things are healing.

But if you recall 2 weeks ago while I was going to see doctor as follow up to surgery I was rear ened. I was worried that something may have happened to the pump or catheter from the accident. Luckily nothing was wrong from the surgical end.

But I wasn't sure if anything may have caused additioanl spine problems to my neck. I have had neck issues for a long time but didn't know if anything new was going on from the accident.

Since the pump was put in I was getting secondary relief in the neck area. But then after the accident my neck started to bother me again. So I was relying on Hydorcodone and Tizanidine. I was going thru periods of weakness in the arms which I did have prior to the accident. But they did reappear after the accident.

Also post accident I noticed something which I can not recall occurring prior to the aciednt. I would be lying down watching TV. And several times I would get this involutary jerking type of movement mainly to the upper extremeties or feeling in the upper body. My arm would move not sure if I should say it was a spasm or like a jerking reaction to the arms. Am I making sense in how I am descrbing what was occurring? bur also at times I did feel sort of a numbeness in my hand area. It would go and come. But off hand I dont recall feeling that senstation in the handes before. I would get a weak type of feeling or a loss of sensation in the fingers but this felt more like a numbness, again it would come and go after the accient. Is the involuntary movemnets and the numbnes something related to the accident? I dont know but I did idscuss this with the doctor today.

We are going to "REQUEST" an MRI but under my auto carrier to see if its related to the accident or not. I have to call the insurance company and see whats needed but I think Ineed a precert from my auto carrier first.

But something in the back of my mind. There is a deductible on my insnurance under auto. If initially my auto doesnt pay the bilsl and I am on SSDI does Medicare act as a secondary coverage. I think when I reported the loss to my auto carrier something along that lines was said but I am not sure.

does one cover bills that is not covered by the other insurance plan? I need to run this past my auto carrier to clarify what she told me.

So now I am going to have to see if they approve the MRI. Then if they do will get the MRI. But if they say No then I will have to see how to handle it.

Any comments would be appreciated especially on the symptoms of the invlovuntary movements in my arms and the numbness that comes and goes.

Thanks for any input

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: Follow up on car accident

Dear pebble, Did the owner of the car that hit you in the rear first have liability insurance & couldnt you file for the medical MRI on his insurance first because only his car rear ending yours pushed your vehicle into the back of the car in front of you? And these jerks that you describe are thry similar to when you jerk suddenly like when surprised or scared except one extremity instead of your whole body jumping?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

GMAK

As to the insurance issue I live in New Jersey. This is considered a No Fault state meaning that when you are in a car accident and injured payment of your medical bills go directly to your own vehicle. Irregardless of fault. So whatever medical bills are incurred I have to go thru my OWN insurance company of payment of those bills.

Yes the other person has insurance. Also if I decided to go after the guy that hit me in the rear I could go after him for "pain and suffering." But in NJ law you have two options depending on how you set up your policy.

If you go for a Verbal threshold it means you can sue only if you are seriusly injured i.e. permanent injuries which is the plan that i have.

Or if you go for a no threshold it means you can sue no matter what your injuries are.

The difference in the 2 plans is your premium on car insurance. NJ has extremely high insurance rates thus the option to save if you can on your premiums

So bottom line any bills incurred I have no choice but to go thru my own carreri.

If I have a permanent impairment from the accident time will tell if I was injured and to what extent. If permanent in nature then I can go after the other party for injrues under his "liability" portion of the policy. And if I had any out of pocket expenses from the accident then I can go after him for those expenses as part of the claim.

I will see what the MRI says and if I can or plan on proceeding against the responsible party for any injuries from the accident.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Thanks pebble for explaining. I think in Tx if someone rear ends a car it is considered their fault & are ticketed & are responsible for the damage done to other cars caused from their actions but sometimes filing on your own collision & medical is recommended by your own insurance to get the ball rolling faster & your insurance will recover the money they put out from the insurance of the person at fault eventually. When i was studying arach i read that spasms, cramps, myoclonic & tonic jerks were associated with it. For example, involuntary muscle jerks like the one that happens when we are startled or awakened,a hypnic jerk. EEG's, EMG's, MRI's are used by neurologists to diagnose neurological signs such as tonic & myoclonic jerks to determine injury or disease. Hopefully, all the neurological symptoms will subside including your worsened neck pain but i am glad that you are getting it looked into.

Reply Reply