It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 05:09 AM   #1
(male)

somemidwestguy HB User
Insurance

Hi,

So, I've been browsing this board most of the night and here's why. I became legally blind in 2004 and my SSDI went through quite easily.

I started developing cataracts about 2007 and all the speacilists said they were inorperable because of my eyes genetic condition. I ended up havnig to get a guide dog so I could walk my daughter to school safely.

With no kids at home the days got pretty long and I decided I would like to go to college just to stay busy. Some good folks at Voc Rehab set me up with some cool software so i could use the computer again.

Last year we switched banks so I went to our local SSA office to give them the new account and I mentioned i never had a review. The gal looked in the computer and said "oh, you're in Voc Rehab, you're not scheduled to get one until 2016."

A few months later science caught up with me and the cararacts were safely removed, but I remain well within SSA's definition of legally blind.

Today I get (what I've now learned from you guys) is the CDR short form. I understand that they'll bsacially just scan it in. My medical condition is about the same or a little worse than when I was initially approved and I even called my eye dr who said she doesn't recoment me going back to work, nor would she have any idea what kind of work I could do. I have a LOT more school to go, by the way.

OK, so here are my questions:
Under surgeries I had my wife enter the cararact surgery. I just saw my dr last week so I had my wife put that date in and entered check up.

What I'm worried about is the question about school and job traning. I answered yes to school of course.

Oh, also my dr had initially told SSA my condition would never improve and only worsen.

I've read about red flags. Is going to school going to cause a full blown review in your expereince? I hate that they send this stuff on Friday and my mail runs late in the day. I also have severe anxiety so I'm not sleeping and freaking out.

I called my Voc Rehab rep and he said I shouldn't have even received this. Then I called SSA and that was a complete waste of 25 minutes on hold. I don't think the rep understood my questions and I know she didn't look up my account or anything.

Any feedback, conforting (while preferable) or not would be greatly appreciated-thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
(female)

mlsano HB Usermlsano HB User
Re: I

Hi its funny that you post this Im kind of glad you did.

Yesterdy, which was Friday I got my "short form" review also.

While my SS Disability is actually Heart Disease, tho I have Cataracts and many other issues as well, I was told by my attorney I would be approved for 5years at a time so I suppose approx. automatically review every five years . Iwas approved in 2004 origionally after being denied in 2002 after my first cardiac surgery. My last cardiac surgery was 2009 and they short formed me immediately after, unknowing I had just had surgery.

My questions to you are now that you cataracts were removed, can you see?

Also, as I got my short form as you call it - I didn't know that was what it was called I ALSO hand wrote a detailed paper on my "other" ailments along with the medications that I take.

I failed to mention in my letter that my original cardio guy passed away 2 yrs ago and the new guy dosent know me as well.

Under Your questions, you put in you JUST had surgery, which is good. As last time that is what I did and they immediately send me back another letter that said you will NOT be reviewed AT THIS TIME.

I would not worry about what your doctor said years ago as he actually cannot Predict the future as I was origionally told by Social Security of course that "you never know with medical science you may get better"

As far as school goes I don't believe I would worry about that either, its not like you graduated with a PhD and a guaranteed job? If you do, let them know and ASK THEM FOR A JOB.

I also know all about your anxiety over this last night I doubled up on my already running low supply of Xanax and still couldn't sleep.

As far as Vocational Rehap, how would he know what SSA should and should not send you. I have just had a 6month round about with SSA and THEY don't even know what they are doing.....so Don't worry about what "he" said, my opinion.

If you are legally blind, in my experience as I actually have a very close friend who only has one eye.....even tho he still drives a car, can actually work if he wants to as he is very strong, etc....he will always qualify for SSI because he is "legally" blind. Even tho see Sees WAY better than I do at 5/2000 w/o glasses.

As far as this quick form, Im wondering myself if I should leave out the info that I wrote that has to be hand read as you said it is all computer generated.

In my past experience if you answered YES to surgery - you should get a follow up letter rather quickly excusing you from a full review.

If you end up having a review, then your Doctors get bothered again writing reports.

Last time I had to hire a Lawyer but in the end it ended up ok. I said last time, I mean the FIRST TIME in 2004. Of course I had to pay him $5300.

Good Luck, Let us know what happens. Thank you for posting as I believe now I will take out the handwritten letter before I send it. Or should I leave it in. Now I don't know. The letter describes a little detail of my other conditions and lists my medications. Oh brother, it all depends on who gets their hands on it at SSA.

Mary

Old 02-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
(male)

somemidwestguy HB User
Re: I

Hi Mary,

The cataract surgery just reset me back to the. 2o/200 vision at the time I was approved for legal blindness. The physical condition doesn't concern me because I can't see well. It's hereditary so several family members suffer from it starting at about age 35.

My hours of research tell me with these forms less is more so I'm going bare minimum. In fact, I'm going to go to the local office for help.

As for voc rehab, in my state they work closely together. When I joined them the ssa sent me a letter congratulating me and went on to explain the ticket to work program. Hopefully I'll have some answers Monday. In the meantime I'm on a steady Xanax diet lol

Reply Reply