It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
(female)

Icareabouthim HB User
Cool medicare??

we just recently found out that ssi disability was taking money out of my husbands check for health insurance... I pay for a family plan threw my work so he is covered... we assumed the $ comming out was for taxes so we never questioned it... come to find out it was for medicare..When we questioned it they said they had sent him a medical card , which we never recieved. if we had recieved one we would of known..so for the past year they have been taking out 100 dollars a month.. Does anyone know if we can get reinburst this money???::

Old 02-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User
Re: medicare??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icareabouthim View Post
we just recently found out that ssi disability was taking money out of my husbands check for health insurance... I pay for a family plan threw my work so he is covered... we assumed the $ comming out was for taxes so we never questioned it... come to find out it was for medicare..When we questioned it they said they had sent him a medical card , which we never recieved. if we had recieved one we would of known..so for the past year they have been taking out 100 dollars a month.. Does anyone know if we can get reinburst this money???::
I'm sorry but it was up to you to contact before you were Medicare elegiable , I'm sure you recived a Medicare card because they are very precise when it comes sending out Medicare cards. You have to contact Medicare and talk to them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2014, 04:06 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User
Re: medicare??

No,you can't get reimbursed for Medicare premium. I believe that besides the Medicare card, the approval letter, or award letter for disability discusses Medicare eligibility, so they will not let you get reimbursed because they will say with all that documentation they sent, you should have known. Also, If he did try to cancel Medicare, he would face some serious penalties once he tried to get it later down the line. I don't know the exact amount, but I believe it is a 10% penalty for each year. So lets say he cancels his Medicare for 10 years, once he does go on it he would have to pay 100% more for his premium, and who knows what the premium will be by then, but he'd be paying twice as much for the rest of his life. My recommendation would be to cancel his coverage through your work, and have him use his Medicare coverage. Or have him enroll (only during open enrollment) for a Medicare Advantage plan.

Reply Reply