It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
(male)

cspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB User
Advise on applying for disability

Hi,
Back in 2011 I had an anterior cervical corpectomy with fusion due to herniated disks and hardened ligaments that were pressing on my spinal cord.
Although the surgery was able to get the pressure off and stopped paralysis, it has left me with permanent nerve damage and chronic pain.
I am currently working but I do not know how much longer I can. i am an constant pain and working makes it all the worse. I sit there in pain all day and barely make it through the week, and many times during the month have to go home early or call in sick. I am on intermittent FMLA, but know my employer is not happy with me and feel they are going to let me go.
So one of my questions is should I stay at work until they let me go? Is it better to show I worked as long as I could, but in the end could not do the job and was let go, or should I leave for health reasons and start the process of applying for disability? Not sure which would be better for my case. It is also so tough trying to keep it together and work each day being in pain and knowing my days are probably numbered, when I really just want to stop and concentrate on my health.
My other question was is it better to get an advocate or attorney rather than try to apply on your own? Anyone out there gone with help and how did it work for them.
Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 03-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
Re: Advise on applying for disability

If you can show a timeline of therapy and medication since your operation and have complete medical records in regard to pain treatments I would do it on your own, if you are rejected the first time you can reapply. For me, I was approved the second time which I did on my own. If on the other hand you are persevering with the pain and have not been consistant with your doctor visits I would use an advocate, they will be able to guide you through the process which may include doctor visits designated by social security to evaluate you.

The Following User Says Thank You to lenvegas For This Useful Post:
cspineguy (03-21-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
(male)

cspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB User

Thanks for your response. I have been seeing doctors consistently since my operation. From the neurosurgeon, pain management, acupuncture, chiropractor, pretty much all I do is go to doctors.
Where you able to work for awhile before filing? That is one concern I do have, as I am currently working, but it is getting more difficult and I do have a record of being absent and leaving early pretty regularly. I'm just not sure what to do, as some days I just don't think I can keep doing it, but am afraid of loosing income and how long it would take to get on disability.

thanks again for responding

Old 03-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User

Does your work offer short term, or long term disability? If so, that could help your income while filing for SSDI. But you need to file for that before leaving your work. If they terminate you first you may not qualify for those benefits. If they do offer STD and LTD, that would help SOOO much during the process!

Old 03-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User

Yes I did not only work before filing but I worked after I filed for the 13 months prior to being approved. I did union work here in Vegas and I am still permitted to work while I am collecting as long as I do not make more each month than I collect. You seem to have a good case and I know a guy here who collects for back injury that had a lesser case than yours so you should end up fine. Best of luck

Old 03-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
(female)

ck438 HB User

I don't know much about disability but I live in Texas and have read on the State of Texas website that you have a 40% better chance of getting on disability if you have an attorney.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynowthis View Post
Does your work offer short term, or long term disability? If so, that could help your income while filing for SSDI. But you need to file for that before leaving your work. If they terminate you first you may not qualify for those benefits. If they do offer STD and LTD, that would help SOOO much during the process!
We have Tempory Disability Insurance in the state I work (RI) which we use instead of STD. Then my work has LTD. I'll have to to look into the LTD and see how it works. Thanks for the advice, you have given me some very good things to look into.

Reply Reply