It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
(female)

Tizzz HB UserTizzz HB User
Question How long does it take to get an OTR Decision ?

Hello,
I filed for disability over 2 years ago and I got the 1st denial as everyone gets then I obtained an Attorney. I was denied a 2nd time and during that time I started having more health issues then before. Well in Oct 2012 I began having Heart issues and almost died and had to have a Stent put in, I need numerous operations and because I am now on blood thinners my Heart Dr will not allow me to have them.

Anyway, I got papers from my attorney to take to my regular Dr to fill out to send in to disability to see if we can get an OTR decision because my Dr says I need to be on disability because of all my health issues. How long does it take to finally get an OTR decision and how likely is it to get approved going this route?

Once approved how long does it take to get your back pay and for you to start getting monthly checks? Seems like the entire process takes forever.
Thanks

Old 05-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
(female)

Question Re: How long does it take to get an OTR Decision ?

No replies yet Does anyone know anything about this ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
(female)

ann1209 HB Userann1209 HB Userann1209 HB User
Re: How long does it take to get an OTR Decision ?

my husband didn't have a otr decision, he actually went to court april 17,2012 and he received his fully favorable decision june 2nd 2012. not sure if that will help you but he had his heart attack(widow maker) and 2 strokes on 2/28/2010 and it took him that long to finish the war. Good Luck

Old 06-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
(female)

Post Re: How long does it take to get an OTR Decision ?

Well I am still waiting for an OTR decision and/or a court date. We turned in the new paperwork May 10th that was the Medical Source Statement forms from my Dr and we are still waiting. I hope this is enough to finally get a favorable decision but who knows. I have been reading posts on here where people have been trying 6-7 years to get disability and still lost the fight. Seems rediculous that you have to be dead then they finally approve you.
I know everything takes a toll on your everyday life. I hate waiting, I really am hoping and praying for a good decision. I have too many health issues and more keep popping up. Very upsetting.

Last edited by Tizzz; 06-02-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Wrong form name

Old 06-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzz View Post
Well I am still waiting for an OTR decision and/or a court date. We turned in the new paperwork May 10th that was the Medical Source Statement forms from my Dr and we are still waiting. I hope this is enough to finally get a favorable decision but who knows. I have been reading posts on here where people have been trying 6-7 years to get disability and still lost the fight. Seems rediculous that you have to be dead then they finally approve you.
I know everything takes a toll on your everyday life. I hate waiting, I really am hoping and praying for a good decision. I have too many health issues and more keep popping up. Very upsetting.
If your medical records leave no doubt that you are disabled but if you are denied a Otr you do not loose your place in line for a hearing. Your age might be a problem alj like to see younger people face to face. I recived a Otr it took a year from my 1st application to receiving my Otr but I was 55 at the time, and had close to 40 years ork history. That helped my approval letter stated that because of my long work history they found me credible.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
(female)

Well, I have been working since I was 16 yrs old and I am now an Independant contractor working part time from home for the last 4yrs and still paying into S Security but what I make is way below what anyone would make on a reg job. Way less then SGA and I have managed to at least keep doing what I am doing but even thats getting harder everyday as more medical issues keep arising. Every time I get new testing done we submit to ssdi.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:

Hello,
I filed for disability over 2 years ago and I got the 1st denial as everyone gets then I obtained an Attorney. I was denied a 2nd time and during that time I started having more health issues then before. Well in Oct 2012 I began having Heart issues and almost died and had to have a Stent put in, I need numerous operations and because I am now on blood thinners my Heart Dr will not allow me to have them.

Anyway, I got papers from my attorney to take to my regular Dr to fill out to send in to disability to see if we can get an OTR decision because my Dr says I need to be on disability because of all my health issues. How long does it take to finally get an OTR decision and how likely is it to get approved going this route?

Once approved how long does it take to get your back pay and for you to start getting monthly checks? Seems like the entire process takes forever.
Thanks
Sorry to here about your heart problems just haveing stents in your heart is not a automatic approval. There are prople that had to have tripple bypass surgery and still had to go before the alj. A Otr decision is only granted when your up to date meical records leave no doubt in the ssa eyes that you are disabled. Otr's are very hard to get if you are younger than 55. It can happen but like the other poster the alj want to see younger people for them selves.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
(female)

I have alot more health issues then just having a stent put in. I have way too many and no one would ever hire someone like me with all that is wrong with me. If you look at my profile you can see all my health issues. I am 45 and have all the documents/medical records to show everything I have had done and still need. I was just saying age should never be a factor in my opinion because there are people that have lots of health probs at much younger ages then me.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I have alot more health issues then just having a stent put in. I have way too many and no one would ever hire someone like me with all that is wrong with me. If you look at my profile you can see all my health issues. I am 45 and have all the documents/medical records to show everything I have had done and still need. I was just saying age should never be a factor in my opinion because there are people that have lots of health probs at much younger ages then me.
If you are still working be it part time and under ssa gainfully you will still have a hard time winning. The ssa will see it as if you can work pt why not ft. The point of trying for ssdi is you can't work at all. Not pt time you can't work at all period. I wish you good luck because IMO you are going to need it.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
(female)

As I said before gainfully means nothing if its way below the standards and you can actually work and make up to $1,000 even on ssdi, its if you make above this per month that you are not allowed to work. I am self employed which has different rules. According to my attorney this is not an issue because there is no job that will hire a person with alot of health issues if they can't perform the duties required. Thanks for your opinion though!!

Old 06-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
As I said before gainfully means nothing if its way below the standards and you can actually work and make up to $1,000 even on ssdi, its if you make above this per month that you are not allowed to work. I am self employed which has different rules. According to my attorney this is not an issue because there is no job that will hire a person with alot of health issues if they can't perform the duties required. Thanks for your opinion though!!
Iknow they say that but some alj judges are bisaed they think that if you are doing any kind work then you are able to hold down a full time job. Just do some looking on the web and you I'll see what I'm talking about. When you are trying to get ssdi you are telling the ssa you can't work period. It's like telling unemployment that you are seeking work,then you apply for ssdi abd telling them you can't work. I hope you see were I'm comming from.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
(female)

Oh I do understand what your saying and I know how things are crooked and people that need it get denied and its sad. How do people survive unless they have something or they lose everything while waiting.
I did find some new info for 2013 and I fit in the category because I am way below the $ amount required.
Here's the link for anyone that may need the info

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10003.pdf

Reply Reply