It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
(female)

PackerFan4Life HB User
disability benefits.... and marriage

Hi everyone

I have read a few posts on this type of thing but haven't seen exactly what I am looking for. I am disabled and am only able to work a few hours a week to stay as healthy as I can. I receive BOTH SSDI and SSI. If I get married, how will my benefits change? I heave read that if you get SSDI they won't change....but no info on if you get both...??
Does anyone have experience with this? How did your benefits change after marriage?

Also, my husband will have a 32 hour a week job with insurance, what do you know about how MY medicare might change? Will I be forced to take my husbands Insurance?? Will I still be covered under medicare and medicaid.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
(female)

TruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB User
Re: disability benefits.... and marriage

I'm thinking depends on if your mate is working because I know a couple that isn't getting married because she would loss ssi and tencare and food stamps. So,, to you question it just depends if your mate has in come coming in. If so. Your ssi will drop or u want get it at all. This is only my understand on it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

SSI is based on being determined to be disabled AND having limited financial resources. For SSI they look at household income (anyone in your household earning money) and your resources (you can't have over $2000 in savings,e tc)

SSDI is based on your work record, it's "insurance" you paid into. So you can be a millionaire, become disabled and get SSDI.

If you are getting SSI and SSDI that means yoru SSDI award amount is very small. Getting married you will be required to show proof of your husband's income.

Medicare is granted to you due to being on SSDI (SSI reciptients who don't qualify for SSDI only get Medicaid).

Many group health insurance policies, such as those provided by employers, have rules around Medicare. For example, I worked for a huge financial company and could stay on the employee benefits including employee health insurance BUT the policy denoted that as soon as ANY covered indivudual was eligible for Medicare then the employer provided medical insurance ended.

For example, If I worked for the employer and covered myself and my husband under medical insurance. But in 2012 he reached age 65 and thus eligilble for Medicare. He would be removed from my employer health care coverage and he'd then have to take Medicare (if he wanted to be covered). Same with disability, as soon as I became eligible for Medicare in 2012 my employer health insurance ended.

Thus if you get married your spouse would want to request a copy of the medical health insurance policy under which he's covered and you want to see (1) does it offer to cover spouses. Some employers have decided not to cover spouses/families at all to save money. But if they cover spouses, then when a defined life event happens (marriage, divorce, birth/adoption of child) the employee has 60 days from teh date of the life event to add you to his coverage (2) BUT you must read the policy and see what it says about "coordination of coverage" when any covered person becomes eligible for Medicare.

If your spouse's health plan doesn't cease coverage when eligible for Medicare you can stay on Medicare, enroll in his plan, or have both plans (the plan will discuss, if allowed, how it coordinates when you have both Medicare and his coverage). If your spouse's plan says "anyone eligible for Medicare for any reason is no longer covered under this plan" then you'd not have the option to enroll in his plan and Medicare would be your only option.

www.ssa.gov has information on SSI financial rules. I can safely guestimate that you'd no longer be eliglbe for SSI once they count in your husband's income. BUT, years from now you may have better coverage under SS Retirement. If you marry now, and in 10 years your husband retires at 67 and had a lifelong good income for years, he may be eligible to get possibly $2000 to $2500/mo (that will increase over time). Once he does that you are eligible for 50% of his award ($1000 to $1250/mo) or 100% of your award whichever is greater (I'm guessing 50% of his is greater). Thus loosing SSI now may pay off in the end. You may, in retirement, be eligible for much more by taking half his retirement award.

Keep in mind if you are living together now, legally his income counts and you may not even be eligible for SSI at this time. SS can easily discover this when they compare address files, etc. SSI looks at all income and resources in the household.

Your fiance can go to the SS site (www.ssa.gov) and it provides a retirement benefit estimator. You can see how much you'd benefit being married when he retires, how long you have to be married, etc.

Much depends on how old you are now, he old he is now, and if you anticpate being able to return to work in the future. If you do return to work and make a good steady wage, and later become disabled again you'd likely be eligible for higher SSDI award and no SSI.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
(female)

PackerFan4Life HB User

Thanks much!
Wow...that's a lot of Information. I don't currently live with him... I actually called social security and asked..I actually only recieve SSDI. I had thought it was both because I get medicaid as well. But I guess the medicaid Is because I am very low income....only work a few hours a week because of the disability.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

How long have you been on SSDI? My SSDI started 10/2009 so Medicare began 2 yr later 10/2011. So will you transition to Medicare at the 2 yr point? Or do you perhaps actually have Medicare not Medicaid? Medicare is better coverage than Medicaid, so perhaps if you get married you can afford Medicare if you are getting Medicaid currently.

Luckily SSDI doesn't change if you get married. But be careful about working, eventually SSDI may challenge you as to whether you are disabled if you work.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
(female)

PackerFan4Life HB User

Thanks for the help everyone.

I have been on SSDI for several years. I started on SSI shortly after I became disabled around 2002 or 2003....and after I worked part/time (10 hrs a week) for awhile it changed to SSDI....I think it was in 2009 that is switched to Medicare & SSDI.

I honestly have no idea why I am covered under BOTH Medicare and Medicaid...I THINK its because I am low income. I require A LOT of hospital & doctor visits, and medications...and I am pretty sure I have both because in my statements it shows what Medicare approved and that it is being sent to Medicaid. I usually have a very small co pay...and that's all.

The more I research this, I am wondering who is paying my Medicare premium?? If I get married...I am guessing I will lose Medicaid...and if they pay for Medicare...I am probably going to be left with not-so-great insurance....Especially if I can't go on my fiancé's.

How do I find out for sure what I get for insurance and how it would change when my household income changes?

I currently am not overly concerned about loosing my SSDI Because of work. I am working as much as I am capable (which amounts to about 8-10 hours a week, with some weeks 0 hours). Is that something I should be concerned about with these hours? I work as hard as I can and as much as I can but I still need SSDI and Insurance.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Check Medicaid.gov and have your fiance get a copy of the EXACT medical plan under which he's covered.

SS I & Medicaid are both "means" dependent, meaning you gave to qualify financially. Your fiance's income would likely mean you're no longer eligible for Medicaid, only Medicare. You'd have to pay the $100/mo premium for Medicare and seek out a supplemental plan for Medicare that has $0 premium. You can read up on that on Medicare.gov

You can always ask your fiance for a estimate of his annual income and then meet with SS to ask what will Change

Old 08-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Check Medicaid.gov and have your fiance get a copy of the EXACT medical plan under which he's covered.

SS I & Medicaid are both "means" dependent, meaning you gave to qualify financially. Your fiance's income would likely mean you're no longer eligible for Medicaid, only Medicare. You'd have to pay the $100/mo premium for Medicare and seek out a supplemental plan for Medicare that has $0 premium. You can read up on that on Medicare.gov

You can always ask your fiance for a estimate of his annual income and then meet with SS to ask what will Change

Reply Reply

Tags
insurance, medicaid, medicare, ssdi, ssi