It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Health Insurance SSDI Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2010, 01:12 AM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: pune,Maharashtra,India
Posts: 2
sweety20 HB User
Primary and Secondary Insurance

What is exact meaning of Primary and Secondary Insurance.
Does co-pay is responsibility of Primary Insurance?
Does Primary Insurance can pay in the form of co-pay only?
Does Payment done after claim sent will be by secondary insurance only or Primary insurance can also pay after claim sent?

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 02-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
River rocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Riverside
Posts: 506
River rocks HB User
Re: Primary and Secondary Insurance

Primary insurance gets billed first. It takes the bulk of the claim. The primary insurance will pay the co-pay, to a particular extent depending on your plan.
The secondary insurance is supposed to pay the portion (if any) that the primary ins does not cover.

For example: you have Medicare primary and Blue Cross secondary.
Medicare pays 80 percent of services. Blue cross would pay the remaining 20 percent.

The medical facility where the services were performed bills the primary first. When the claim comes back with a balance remaining, they bill that to the secondary.

Secondary insurance is like a safety net, in case the primary insurance's benefits don't cover it all. Thats it in a nutshell.

 
Old 02-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: pune,Maharashtra,India
Posts: 2
sweety20 HB User
Re: Primary and Secondary Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by River rocks View Post
Primary insurance gets billed first. It takes the bulk of the claim. The primary insurance will pay the co-pay, to a particular extent depending on your plan.
The secondary insurance is supposed to pay the portion (if any) that the primary ins does not cover.

For example: you have Medicare primary and Blue Cross secondary.
Medicare pays 80 percent of services. Blue cross would pay the remaining 20 percent.

The medical facility where the services were performed bills the primary first. When the claim comes back with a balance remaining, they bill that to the secondary.

Secondary insurance is like a safety net, in case the primary insurance's benefits don't cover it all. Thats it in a nutshell.

Thanks River for your sudden response.It clears all my doubt about primary and secondary insurance

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
primary care physician..plzz help candy1987 General Health 4 03-14-2010 12:11 AM
Primary Progressive M.S.... bleedingdove Multiple Sclerosis 14 12-08-2008 04:24 PM
can someone explain primary and secondary insurance? MSNik Health Insurance SSDI Issues 4 11-20-2008 07:33 AM
How would you know if you are having adrenal problems as primary? wally777 Thyroid Disorders 8 07-12-2008 05:39 PM
Primary/secondary upperlimits Addison's Disease 4 04-16-2008 05:56 AM
Primary misdiagnosed as Secondary? LibraryAnn Addison's Disease 8 08-24-2007 07:11 AM
How long for Primary Progressive Dx? Booty Multiple Sclerosis 14 06-21-2007 11:32 AM
Primary Vs. Secondary Infertilty marriot Infertility 15 12-28-2005 06:17 AM
Difference between Primary, Secondary Addison's gettin' better Addison's Disease 3 09-24-2003 08:41 PM




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:13 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2015 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!