It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health News Message Board

Epi-Pen pricing alert!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2016, 05:34 PM   #1
MountainReader
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Epi-Pen pricing alert!

Hi. As we approach the new school year, I know there are a lot of people who will need to refill their Epi-Pen's since they expire each year. I have seen multiple news articles recently about the recent significant Epi-Pen price increases that have come as a surprise to patients. For those who have high insurance deductibles or no insurance, the pens are averaging about $600 for each 2-pack. If you are in need of one for your child for school/daycare and one at home, that amount doubles to $1200 . For many of us, this makes the pen's unaffordable. It also puts us and our children's lives at risk. If you carry an Epi-Pen and can't afford your prescription, I urge you to talk to your doctor. I don't have experience with it, but from what I've read, there is an option of using a syringe with epinephrine. It is less than ideal, but is available at a much cheaper generic prescription price.

If you are unfamiliar with them, EpiPen is an injection containing epinephrine. It is used when someone has a severe allergic or asthmatic reaction which results in anaphylaxis or closure of the airway. Epinephrine is a chemical that narrows blood vessels and opens airways in the lungs. EpiPens need to be available immediately if there is a health emergency. Because of that most people will have them available in the locations they frequent such as work, home, school, caregivers, purses, etc...

Last edited by MountainReader; 07-17-2016 at 05:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread