It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2004, 07:52 PM   #1
(female)

alltaken HB User
Major: Nursing RN

My major is nursing. I'm not in the program yet. I'm taking my pre-req.s now and hopefully will be in the program sometime soon in the future.

I'd like to work on the OB floor in a hospital, doing maternity nursing. Is there any nurses here on Healthboards who are currently doing this? And how do you like it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2004, 06:58 AM   #2

stacey01 HB User
Re: Major: Nursing RN

I too am in nursing school currently finishing up in a little while. I also want to work Labor and Delivery but often times that is under "specialized" nursing and you must wait after you get womens health experience in some form before working in l and d. I have gotten many opinions from teachers ,etc. Most of them say they dont like maternity nursing because of the fact that it is VERY messy. But there are some that just dont mind the whole scene and have worked as an OB nurse for years. Its personal preference i suppose. Just remember depending on the area youre in, the school you attend, and experience will be the deciding factor whether youll be hired into OB nursing fresh out of school. Just explore the other depts in a hospital and see what else you could do to get the experience you need!! Good luck with nursing school, and remember its difficult and demanding but WELL WORTH IT!! Everywhere needs GOOD nurses

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2004, 07:43 AM   #3
(female)

alltaken HB User

You say you're in nursing school, do you mean your in the nursing program then right? If so, how long do you have before you graduate, and what has been the hardest part so far? And what have you enjoyed the most?

Old 10-03-2004, 12:22 PM   #4

stacey01 HB User

i went to an excellent 2 year major area hospital based RN program ( but i had to have 2 years of pre req's in bio, anatomy& phys., and a whole bunch more which i chose to do at a 4 yr univ.). I am now an RN (diploma and passed state board exams) but i am taking a 3 semester program at a 4 yr univ that will give me a BSN in Nursing. The higher your degree, the better your oppurtunities and pay I love nursing, and youll know right away whether it is for you or not. The hardest part is not so much the material and clinical work, its the demanding day to day commitment you have to make to soak in all the stuff you learn and apply it to be the best RN you can be to ur patients. It may be harder than you expected at first, but youll get into the groove of how healthcare works and what you need to do to be successful!! Just never give up on urself and youll be fine... this all sounds cheesy i know, but ALOT of people i knew flunked out by the end of the 1st semester ... not from lack of intelligence, but from lack of commitment and im sure they were looking for an easy profession. The best part I enjoy is being with different people every day and helping your patients heal and feel better about what they are having to go through. Nursing is fun, but you have to have a thing for it , yknow what i mean??? At the end of the day, youre job may be hard, but you go home alright with that. Anything else youd like to know just post and ill get back to you.

Last edited by stacey01; 10-03-2004 at 12:25 PM.

Old 10-03-2004, 07:01 PM   #5
(female)

alltaken HB User

Thanks for replying back to me. Thanks for alittle bit of insight. What is it that you're doing right now in nursing? I know committment won't be a problem for me, there's nothing else I want to do, there's nothing else that interests me. I know that this is for me. The one thing that concerns me is that I don't have any exp. in the nursing profession whatsoever, no CNA, or anything like that. What's your opinion on that? I'm great with people, I've been told over and over again that I'm a nice person and very likeable. I just know that this is something that I will enjoy doing and the money you make doing it is excellent. Here I'm just beginning, and you've already been through school and then some + all the experience you have now, for me all of that is in the, I guess, not so distant future. Another thing I'm looking forward to is making new friends as well while being in the nursing program. How was the state board exam by the way?

Old 10-04-2004, 08:46 AM   #6
Inactive

KimRick HB User

I'm currently finishing up my pre-req's now. I can't wait to be a nurse! I looooove taking care of people! I would like to be in the NICU, L & D, or pediatrics when I'm done. Let me ask a question - what is telemetry? A friend of mine went into that after graduation and I'm clueless as to what it is. My biggest concern with being a nurse is needles. I'm not afraid of them, but I am afraid of using them on other people and maybe causing harm or death. I do have some confidence issues when it comes to nursing after graduation. What are some really good areas of nursing to get into (pay wise and rewarding wise)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltaken
Thanks for replying back to me. Thanks for alittle bit of insight. What is it that you're doing right now in nursing? I know committment won't be a problem for me, there's nothing else I want to do, there's nothing else that interests me. I know that this is for me. The one thing that concerns me is that I don't have any exp. in the nursing profession whatsoever, no CNA, or anything like that. What's your opinion on that? I'm great with people, I've been told over and over again that I'm a nice person and very likeable. I just know that this is something that I will enjoy doing and the money you make doing it is excellent. Here I'm just beginning, and you've already been through school and then some + all the experience you have now, for me all of that is in the, I guess, not so distant future. Another thing I'm looking forward to is making new friends as well while being in the nursing program. How was the state board exam by the way?

Old 10-04-2004, 10:10 AM   #7
(female)

alltaken HB User

Lucky you Kim, on currently finishing up your pre-req.s. I still need to take 2 psychologies, and 4 bio's yet. Ugh. I don't know what telemetry is specifically, but I think its in the electronics field. That's funny that you say that about needles, because I'm not afraid of them, it's the administering part that I'm alittle apprehensive on too. I've never done that. Hopefully it won't be too bad. I'm not sure about what areas of nursing would be the best for pay or reward wise. I thought about going up to the OB floor at my local hosp. and talking with the nurses there, but I don't think that that would prob. be a good idea since they are there to work u know. I'd like to get alot of nurses opinions on it. The more info the better.

Old 10-04-2004, 11:25 AM   #8
Inactive

KimRick HB User

I have 1 more A & P, the accompanying lab and chemistry. I have other pre-req's to do, but I only need certain ones completed before I can apply to the nursing program. There's a waiting list and while I'm waiting, I'll finish up the rest of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltaken
Lucky you Kim, on currently finishing up your pre-req.s. I still need to take 2 psychologies, and 4 bio's yet. Ugh. I don't know what telemetry is specifically, but I think its in the electronics field. That's funny that you say that about needles, because I'm not afraid of them, it's the administering part that I'm alittle apprehensive on too. I've never done that. Hopefully it won't be too bad. I'm not sure about what areas of nursing would be the best for pay or reward wise. I thought about going up to the OB floor at my local hosp. and talking with the nurses there, but I don't think that that would prob. be a good idea since they are there to work u know. I'd like to get alot of nurses opinions on it. The more info the better.

Old 10-04-2004, 02:27 PM   #9

stacey01 HB User

Hey guys, its me again.... first off telemetry is a specialty of nursing that you can go into that deals usually with cardiology patients for example needing constant monitoring on different technology(an ex is the ekg monitors, etc you see in ICU nursing stations that are monitoring the patient both in the room and the station). There is much more equipment but thats just to give you an idea. Second off, needles are a piece of cake. I had different fears when i first started, and that was of needle-stick accidents with someone with HIV or Hep. That prob has been addressed nowadays and the needles come with safety features that u activate immediately after withdrawing the needle from the patient. I remember the first time i was asked to draw blood from a real person and not the mannikan. Its scary but after you do it, and actually get blood you are so relieved and get so worked up with confidence and you want to do it more. Administering meds is another subject you will be taught inside and out, so relax. As far as hurting the patient , you have to think of it like this, youre going to be taught what NOT to do as far as using needles (which will minimize injury and even pain), and second, that patient's life is in danger and a few seconds of pain from a needlestick is worth it to get the tests done that will help them in the end. You guys are so nervous because you kinda dont know what to expect and havent really gotten into the field yet. Trust me, i had every single fear you did and i look back now after being in it and laugh at myself for being so silly. I now work in pediatrics at a childrens hospital and love it. But while i was in school we were required to study in nursing homes, and all units of the hospital. You'll be fine and youll get a taste of everything!! Give it some time, relax, and get yourselves into good schools.... the best schools by the way, will give you HUGE amounts of clinical, hands on in the healthcare setting time.... some schools just teach their nurses mainly in the classroom, a little bit of clinical time, graduate them, send them out to take their state board exams and some students fail and have no job in the end. I know some true stories about that so just check your school out thoroughly and make sure it is accredited by the American Nursing Association. To answer your other questions alltaken, state boards are difficult yes, but by the end of schooling you will have the critical thinking skills to answer the questions!! Thats nothin for you to worry bout right now.... i passed them on the first try. Second, before going into nursing school i had no prior medical field experience, i was fresh to the community just like you. If ya want to know anything else, ill keep checkin back ...

Old 10-04-2004, 02:32 PM   #10

stacey01 HB User

another thing i didnt address was your question about what areas in the hospital have more rewards... usually your pay as an RN will GREATLY depend on how much education you have( diploma, bsn, masters, etc) and the geographical location and market that specific facility is working in... for the most part it doesnt, or at least from what ive seen, make a difference in the department ..... the differences you see in pay are from specialty education, etc....

Old 10-05-2004, 09:28 AM   #11
(female)

alltaken HB User

Well that puts me at ease. I'm typically not the type of person that worries about anything unless I have to. But now that I'm in school, I just want to do real good in my classes, (for one, the grade you get matters for the nursing program), and I'm finding myself stressing over that issue. I don't stress - ever. This is another part of the reason I know I want to do nursing, because I care so much about pushing myself to do as good as I can for it. U know lately, I've been thinking of different areas in nursing that I think I would enjoy the most, and I've always said that maternity nursing is where I wanted to be. But now I still would love that, I think, but pediatrics would be nice too. So far I think the hospital setting is where I want to be at. I am so grateful that nursing has so many opportunities in it. There's so much of a demand for nurses too, that that is comforting. So many different settings too. I look forward to being an RN and making my 2 girls proud. My youngest daughter tells me that she wants to be a baby nurse now too. I want to set a good example and be a good role model for my girls. I'm striving to be the best I can be, but it gets so stressful too at times! and I'm not even in the program yet. I think my main reason for this extra added pressure, is that I'm taking Chemistry right now, and I've never had it before, so its all new material. Although Chemistry is kind of hard, I think I'll do fine in Biology - I hope. How much math, the hard math I guess, chemistry, and biology do you use once you are an RN? I guess that depends on what you're doing. This thread has been so informative for me, and its nice to talk with others that are in the field too.

Old 10-05-2004, 10:49 AM   #12
Inactive

KimRick HB User

I kind of bi-passed chemistry and went straight to anatomy & physiology - BIG MISTAKE!!! I should've taken chemistry first, I honestly think that chemistry lays the ground work for a & p. I guess I'll take it next semester with a & p II; backwards, I know. I'm STRESSING out too with a & p. It's basically all about cellular function, reproduction, etc. I'm not very good at it, but I am trying my damndest (I was up to 2am studying) because I want to get a good grade in it. My first test was a C & I take my second test tonight. I think that once I get into the nursing program, with the hands-on training, I'll be much better.

Old 10-05-2004, 01:22 PM   #13

stacey01 HB User

Yes, you should take ur 2 bios and 2 chems together because they work well together.... then move on to things like microbiology and a and p.... i will tell you now that the math concepts you learn in chemistry 1 and 2 you will carry with you to nursing, dosage calculations uses the same kind of principles that you use to solve chemistry equations... so make sure u have ur chem down! While i was taking microbio and stuff, others had never had chemistry and they STRUGGLED big time... so do it in order, get ur basic bios and chem done first then youll be alright hte rest of the way...

Old 10-05-2004, 02:21 PM   #14
Inactive

KimRick HB User

I only have to take one chemistry, anatomy & physiology I & II, Elementary algebra, and math for the health science profession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey01
Yes, you should take ur 2 bios and 2 chems together because they work well together.... then move on to things like microbiology and a and p.... i will tell you now that the math concepts you learn in chemistry 1 and 2 you will carry with you to nursing, dosage calculations uses the same kind of principles that you use to solve chemistry equations... so make sure u have ur chem down! While i was taking microbio and stuff, others had never had chemistry and they STRUGGLED big time... so do it in order, get ur basic bios and chem done first then youll be alright hte rest of the way...

Old 10-05-2004, 04:06 PM   #15
(female)

alltaken HB User

Well it sounds like I'm just getting the tip of the iceberg. I only need to take one chem as well. I haven't taken any bio yet, and I need 4 of those. So after this semester is over, I'll have the 4 bios and 2 pychs to do and 1 nursing course that we are allowed to complete before the program. I'm really hoping that bio will be easier than chem is. Chem isn't impossible to learn, it's just something thats very foreign to me still. I just need to practice and understand it well to learn it.

Closed Thread