It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 09:35 AM   #1

tenagain HB User
Legal Nurse Consultants?

I am looking for any insight into how worthwhile training for legal nurse consulting really is?

I've been a nurse for 20 years, recently went back to school to get my BSN, and now have been trying (unsuccessfully) to find a challenging, interesting, non-bedside care position. I've read many "ads" about becoming a legal nurse consultant, but I am interested in hearing firsthand honest information. Most interesting positions available in my facility now require a masters degree, and before I plop down more money for a degree that may or may not pan out for me I am investigating other options.

Thanks!

Old 06-25-2005, 08:50 AM   #2
(female)

jayep99 HB User
Re: Legal Nurse Consultants?

I am taking a LNC course thru Louisiana State Univ. right now. I go one day a month all day for 9 months. I recieve contact hours for it and can help prepare me to take the certification in 2 years. The couse is less than the Vickie Milazzo course and its more one on one. There are only nine in my class.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2005, 11:08 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Arememom HB User
Re: Legal Nurse Consultants?

I took have been a nurse for over 20 years and am looking into the Legal Nurse Consulting business. I actually worked for an attorney a few years ago on a malpractice case. I reviewed all the medical records. It took me 35 hours to sort everything out. There were 8 - 3 inch binders full of hospital charts, home health charts, billing records. I was paid $100/hr. There are many more things other than chart audits that you can do in Legal Nurse Consulting. I have found alot of information on the web. Research it well. There are companies that are ripping nurses off. They say when you complete their program you are a Certified Legal Nurse Consultant. But it's not true. After you complete your course, you must work 2000 hours as Legal Nurse Consultant before you can take the national exam to really be certified. I actually researched alot online Tues. of this week. Most college programs for legal nurse consultant can be completed within a year online if you work online at least 7 hrs per week. You can complete sooner if you want to work online more than 7 hrs/week. Cheapest cost I have found is about $2,700 Hope this helps.

Closed Thread