It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2005, 11:04 AM   #1

froggy123 HB User
Can someone explain how Med School works?

Hi all,
I'll be starting my freshman year of college in the fall. I'm planning on being a neuroscience major on a pre-med track. For the past few years, I've been changing my mind, going back and forth, between wanting to be an anesthesiologist or an orthopaedic surgeon. For the past 8ish months I've been set on being an orthopaedic surgeon, I think alot of this stems from the fact that I had a major knee operation (TTT) in September (I'll have the operation on my other knee next summer). How everything in the joints (bones, tendons, ligaments) fit together just fascinates me. I remember doing a bio lab this past spring where we used chicken legs and had to cut a tendon and see how the joint moves...it just hit me as to why everyone was so concerned about making sure all of my quad muscles were strong prior to surgery. Then it's like look at how much damage a malformed trochlear groove can cause. So as you can pretty much see...I'm just amazed by this aspect of medicine.
Everyone asks me how long I will go to school to become a surgeon when people ask me what I want to do when I grow up, and honestly, I have no idea! I was hoping that someone could explain the process. 4 years of undergrad (my med school prerequesite courses will be taken care of through my major), take the MCAT, apply to med school and hope you get in...then what? How does Med School work...there's interns and residencies and whatever else. How does it work to become an orthopaedic surgeon???

Thanks for the information!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2005, 10:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: Can someone explain how Med School works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy123
Hi all,
I'll be starting my freshman year of college in the fall. I'm planning on being a neuroscience major on a pre-med track. For the past few years, I've been changing my mind, going back and forth, between wanting to be an anesthesiologist or an orthopaedic surgeon. For the past 8ish months I've been set on being an orthopaedic surgeon, I think alot of this stems from the fact that I had a major knee operation (TTT) in September (I'll have the operation on my other knee next summer). How everything in the joints (bones, tendons, ligaments) fit together just fascinates me. I remember doing a bio lab this past spring where we used chicken legs and had to cut a tendon and see how the joint moves...it just hit me as to why everyone was so concerned about making sure all of my quad muscles were strong prior to surgery. Then it's like look at how much damage a malformed trochlear groove can cause. So as you can pretty much see...I'm just amazed by this aspect of medicine.
Everyone asks me how long I will go to school to become a surgeon when people ask me what I want to do when I grow up, and honestly, I have no idea! I was hoping that someone could explain the process. 4 years of undergrad (my med school prerequesite courses will be taken care of through my major), take the MCAT, apply to med school and hope you get in...then what? How does Med School work...there's interns and residencies and whatever else. How does it work to become an orthopaedic surgeon???

Old 06-28-2005, 10:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy123
Hi all,

On average, it's takes about 14 years to become an orthopedic surgeon.

Usually, after 4 years of medical school, there's a brief internship, then a 4-year residency studying orthapedics. If you choose to specialize beyond that, there are additional years of fellowship study.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:39 AM   #4
(male)

nsmatch HB User

4 years of medical school, broken into your first two years in the classroom, learning science. Then you spend the last 2 years working in the hospital for free. You cannot fail any classes at any point in medical school, some schools will give you one free chance at repeating, but others will not.

Then you do a surgical internship, which is your first real year as a doctor, but you are still, of course, clueless.

Then you will do 4 years of orthopedic surgery specific training, with a minimum number of surgical cases you will need to do to graduate. You also have to pass the board exams, three of them, as well as the board exam for your specialty.

Then if you decide you want to do joints, or spine, or hand specifically, you will do a fellowship in that area, from 1-2 years of more specialized training.

Then you can get a real job, working by yourself.

Then 3-5 years later you take an oral board exam, to get board certified. More than half of the doctors that take this fail the first time, because it is really really really really difficult.

Then you spend the rest of your years hoping you don't get sued for medical malpractice.

It's a tough life, and only the most dedicated make it through. Good luck!

Old 07-07-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Froggy- We have so much in common! I'm also going to be a freshman this fall, and I'm taking a pre-med concentration with a major in neuroscience as well! How uncanny is that?! I want to be a invasive cardiologist/thoracic surgeon. The only career option that might make me deviate from this is becoming a psychiatrist. Abnormal psychology fascinates me, and even more so now that I've been diagnosed with OCD and GAD. What would be super creepy is if months down the road, we ended up at the same college and discovered our true identities! Now, that would be extremely odd! LOL! I'm so freaked about college because stupid OCD makes me always worry that I'm going to fail Organic Chem or Calculus and then I won't be able to make it in the health profession... I wish you the best of luck in the coming years, God bless, and I'll see ya when we're MD's!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread