It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2005, 12:55 PM   #1
(male)

kushmoney HB User
Medical Radiographer Questions (help!!)

Hey all,

First off thank you for any help you can supply me. i am new to the board but am desperately searching all means for advice.

I have worked in the hospital setting for years on end on end. I have seen the good and the bad in the field so thats not what I need help with.

I just recently enrolled to a local community college to take pre-requisites for the Cooper Medical Health Radiographer Certificate program. Through the school and the program I can obtain a Radiographer Certificate & an Associates in Applied Science.

Heres my questions:

1.) Is the certification good enough to work as a radiographer? I can take less courses at the college to get into the program but at the end I wouldnt get the associates degree...?

2.) What can I do with an associates in applied science?

I'd like to somehow get a bachelors in something and apply it to the field i'm interested in but I don't think thats possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2005, 07:47 PM   #2
(female)

Jennihul HB User
Re: Medical Radiographer Questions (help!!)

I attended a college based program (community college) that was partially based at a hospital for clinical training. I'm not sure about your particular program but I earned an Associate in Science degree.

All of the people we hire have to be certified by the American Registry of Radiologic Tecnologists in the modality of choice (MRI, CT, Special Procedures, etc.), or in Radiography if you want to be a non-specialized technologist.

We have many technologists who are older and didn't have the benefit of a college-based program and therefore have no Associate's. Most new students are expected to have an Associate's.

I would only get a Bachelor's if your ultimate goal is management. Radiography training is so specialized that you would have to attend a radiology program to work as a technologist. Getting a Bachelor's in some other field, even science, wouldn't allow that.

I hope I answered your questions...

Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2005, 01:25 PM   #3
(male)

rolltider HB User

I am a Senior Account Manager with a large insurance company today, and I have an associates degree in radiology from a community college, that's it. It's been over 10 years ago when I finished, but that little radiology degree still holds value with me. If something happens, I can always go back and do MRI or CT.

Old 08-15-2005, 02:38 PM   #4
(female)

Jennihul HB User

Just keep renewing those ARRT certificates. you never know!!

Jennifer

Closed Thread