It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2005, 05:18 AM   #1
(female)

parcelgirl HB User
LPN or RN?

I am changing careers because i have always wanted to be a nurse and would like some input on what the differences are between LPN and RN? Im not sure which direction i want to go, the waiting list for the clinicals here are 2 years so i have alot of time to take my classes but im undecided? Can anyone tell me the difference?

Old 09-07-2005, 11:16 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Arememom HB User
Re: LPN or RN?

As an RN with an Associate Degree and having a best friend who was an LPN, I know the differences. As far as working in the hospitals that I have worked in during the last 23 years, only RN's could work in Intensive Cares and some Emergency Depts. LPN's can push IV medications or perform other high tech procedures. In Home Health an RN must provide supervisory visits on the LPN and Home Health Aides. And last but not least the money is significantly more as an RN (even with a 2 year degree). My friend went back to school and received her Associate Degree and is happy she did. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2005, 06:44 AM   #3
(male)

Vanguard HB User

If it's difficult for you to enter RN school, go through Practical Nursing first, get your experience (some ladder programs require at least 1 year lpn experience first) then go to RN school.

That's what I did.

Old 11-21-2005, 04:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

you'll find many people get their LPN first. I sure am and even though I wish I would have my RN first, I am needed just the same. The biggest reason for me was to have SOMETHING, some kind of credential and to make more money while I am getting my RN. I am def an RN to be but am enjoying this year as I go through the LPN program. And there are accelerated programs for LPN to RN-I know there is more to say, but after being in class all day, my brain is tired! Good luck to you=you'll do what is best for you now.

Old 11-28-2005, 07:25 AM   #5
(male)

Prideb4thefall HB User

I recieved my LPN first and realized I wanted to go farther. I am currently an RN and still studying to go higher. Also, like posters have said, there is more money involved when you are an RN. That is always a plus I want to add quick, I am also the type of person who likes being everywhere at once. With the RN I am able to do this. I can work in the area I want and then I can also help other people in other areas. That is probably what I enjoy most about RN over LPN.
Russell

Last edited by Prideb4thefall; 11-28-2005 at 07:26 AM.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:29 PM   #6
(female)

DontWannaBsick HB User
Wink Re: LPN or RN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arememom
As an RN with an Associate Degree and having a best friend who was an LPN, I know the differences. As far as working in the hospitals that I have worked in during the last 23 years, only RN's could work in Intensive Cares and some Emergency Depts. LPN's can push IV medications or perform other high tech procedures. In Home Health an RN must provide supervisory visits on the LPN and Home Health Aides. And last but not least the money is significantly more as an RN (even with a 2 year degree). My friend went back to school and received her Associate Degree and is happy she did. Hope this helps.
Hi all, I'm an LPN and a hairdresser. I love both my jobs. I know quiet a few LPN's that work in E.R., ICU, LABOR/DELIVERY,ETC. I for one am currently goin to school for my RN, but there are plenty of days I question my decision. With the nusrsing shortage being what it is, nurses are required at MOST places to do way more than should be required. You don't get to be a nurse (take care of the pt. at a time when they need someone most )instead your running between way too many pts.with only moinimal time to do what needs much more time than is safe for the pt. or my nursing lisc.

nOT TO MENTION THE HOURS OF PAPERWORK THAT I'M REQUIRED TO DO. IF I WANTED PAPERWORK I WOULD HAVE BECOME A SECRETARY. THESE ARE THINGS THEY DON'T TELL YOU IN NURSING SCHOOL BECAUSE OF THE SHORTAGE. I HAVE TAKEN THE LAST COUPLE OF MONTHS OF DUE TO THE CHAOS OF NURSING AS WELL AS MY OWN HEALTH. MY HUBBY AND I ARE TALKING ABOUT ME DOING HOMEHEALTH ONE OR TWO DAYS A WEEK AND HAIR THE SAME, JUST BECAUSE OF THE MAJOR STRESS. BUT I ROCK ON TOWARD MY RN AND HOPE I'M NOT SORRY IN THE END. ONE THING ABOUT IT I WILL BE ABLE TO MAKE DECENT MONEY WHEN I'M OLDER WITH ALL THE BABYBOOMER NURSES RETIRING. NURSING IS THE BEST CAREER IN THE WORLD IF ONLY THEY WOULD LET US BE A NURSE AND NOT A SECREATARY, MAID, WAITRESS,AND DOG FOR THE DR.(HA-HA)

For the record I became an Lpn first because I could be a nurse much quicker and I could work and make money at the same time as getting a little experince under my belt. Good luck in whatever you end up doing.

Old 02-23-2006, 07:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

Here in MO, LPNs cannot do IV push, but can work ICU and ER. That is the one thing that irritates me bc I don't want to have restrictions like that. One more reason to go further. I am so happy though, you find that LPNs get placement first in the RN programs where non lpns may have a two year wait just to be considered for the program. Plus, there are so many accelerated programs-online programs etc...There are times I wish I was in RN school, but am glad I am where I am now. I have four and 1/2 months til graduation.

Old 03-15-2006, 05:20 PM   #8
(female)

BECKYAO HB User
Question Re: LPN or RN?

I Am Debating In What To Pursue My Education N And This Thread Caught My Eye. Ive Been Thinking About Getting My Lpn. I Am Really Very Interested In Health And Nutrition. Wheni Think Of Lpn I Think Of Working In Hospital Or Drs. Office Duing Strictley Medical. Is There A Path I Can Take That Lpns And Work With People Who Are Overweight, Anerexic Or Bulemic,ect. What About In Physical Rehab? Im Just Trying To Find Info. And What Way I Shou;d Go With My Intrest. Any Info Would Be Greatley Appreciated. Thanks

Closed Thread