It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2005, 08:55 AM   #1
(male)

JWT HB User
Surgical Tech income

Just wondering if anyone knows how much they make...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2005, 06:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: Surgical Tech income

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWT
Just wondering if anyone knows how much they make...
It varies on a lot of factors, including area you work in and amount of specialization that you have. Generally though, surgical techs start around $35,000 in most areas.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2005, 09:01 AM   #3
(male)

JWT HB User

Thanks for the info!

I have figured out that I have been in the wrong profession for the last 20 years. I became an EMT-Basic about 2 years ago & now do that on a part time & volunteer basis. I love it! Wish I would have know 20 years ago, I would have gotten into nursing. Now I don't have the extra time or the $$ to pay for nursing school.

So, I have been trying to find something in the medical field that doesn't require years of schooling but will still pay the bills. That is my other problem. Even as a paramedic, I would still be taking a large paycut.

Old 10-26-2005, 03:53 PM   #4
(female)

Unicorn430 HB User

Find out the pay scale at hospitals you'd like to work. In my city, they only make $11/hour to start. Also realize it's a career where you'll be standing up for hours at a time.

Old 10-26-2005, 06:12 PM   #5
(male)

JWT HB User

That wouldn't be a problem! At least I would be doing something in a field that I enjoy!

Thanks ya'll for the input!

Old 01-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #6
(male)

JWT HB User

I decided against the surgical tech thing & have decided to work towards becoming an RN. I will have to take classes at night, part-time & it will probably take me 4-5 years but I can do it. I go register tomorrow!

Last edited by JWT; 01-10-2006 at 12:51 PM.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
(female)

DontWannaBsick HB User
Talking Re: Surgical Tech income

Awesome JWT.

gLAD TO HEAR YOU HAVE COME TO A DECISION...

Old 03-03-2007, 05:03 PM   #8
(male)

Reno Tech. HB User

I've been a Tech for about 4 years now ....... and I just quit.
I realized that no matter how hard I work, or how efficient, proficient, precise, I become I'm always going to make the same amount of money, and the docs and nurses get the pats on the back.
I was making a little over 20 bucks an hour. Seasoned Techs are grossly underpaid for the amount of money made by others in the O.R. think about it.

Any given day we can scrub five different disciplines, i.e. general, ortho, vascular, plastics, gyn, etc. etc. Name any other industry were an individual has this type of skill, and their making at least 60K a year. Don't kid yourself we do more then just stay sterile and pass instruments.

signed,
Fed up.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:02 AM   #9
(female)

blondeone HB User

Department of Labor on the web should have reported incomes lowest to highest for your field. Sorry I can't post the exact link.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:02 PM   #10
(female)

tigerlilyx61 HB User

Hey JWT...just some words of encouragement coming your way I was 41 when I started back to school to get my RN. That was in 2001. I will graduate in 3 semesters (I like saying 3 semesters as opposed to 1 1/2 years). I also did the part-time program as I had to continue working during the day. I has been my life long dream and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. You can do it!

Old 11-01-2007, 04:54 PM   #11
(female)

natejewel HB User

Reno, i just want to say that I think you were me posting. I have been a tech for almost five years specializing in ortho and I have had enough. Completely under appreciated and over worked. Plus there is nowhere to advance unless you become a nurse, PA, or NP. I like what I do but not for the next 30 years.

Closed Thread