It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Question Am I too old to become a nurse?

I am 50 years old. Am I too old to persue becoming a nurse? I have a successful career in the computer training field and am looking to do something different and more fullfilling for the rest of my working years. I started out my college degree in nursing but changed it and have thought for a long time that I should have stayed with this major. I have a BS in Business Administration.

After doing internet research, I thought I'd have to get a BSN and many schools do have an accelerated program to turn a non-nursing BS into a BSN. This would take approximately 2 years. After reading a few posts here, I discovered that I can get an ADN degree to become an RN, I'm not sure how long this takes.

So my questions are:

1. Am I too old? I'd probably be 52-53 after getting a degree. I am in good health and can afford to "take 2 years off" from my current job.
2. Is an ADN degree good enough or should I persue the BSN degree?
3. About how much can I expect to make per year (or per hour) in an entry level nursing job in a hospital on a med/surg floor? I live in the southeast.
4. Would I hate a change in careers at my age?

Any help will be appreciated! TIA!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
(female)

aliasnewname HB User
Re: Am I too old to become a nurse?

You wouldn't hate a career change, you stated that you want to change careers. You can afford to take time off for education? If you have a pulse, you're not too old! Count yourself among the lucky, and the caring, and go for it! I'll bet you do great!
No idea at all about questions 2 and 3. Enjoy the holidays.....I see a busy schoolwork schedule in your future.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

If you already have a BS, it would make much more sense to invest the 2 years and get your BSN. After pre-reqs and everything, an ADN is going to run you 2 years almost anyway. The money won't be much different, but if you want to go into management at some point, a BSN is helpful. I am an ADN and am pursuing my BSN, wish I had gone for it off the bat. As far as being too old, no way. I love older nurses, they are harder working and have great work ethic. Nothing against younger nurses, I am 34, but SOME of the younger nurses I work with are worthless, they do nothing but sit on the internet all day and shop.

As far as pay goes, this depends on alot of factors.

What would you like to specialize in?
Are you in southern florida or in the panhandle?
Do you want to work in a hospital setting?

As a general rule, you can expect, as an average new grad to make somewhere around $20.00/hour. If you are in the more southern part of florida, you can expect a little more. This is a base rate, no differentials included. Most hospitals pay an additional $1.00/hr for BSN and an extra incentive for certifications (ACLS, CCRN, etc). My amounts may be a bit off, I work for an extremely stingy hospital in Alabama. But I love my boss and she is the only reason I stay.

Last edited by sobannon; 12-10-2006 at 11:12 AM.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
(female)

onedaysoon HB User

If it is something you want, you owe it to yourself to go for. I was only 44 yrs old when I passed the provinicial nursing exam. My only regret was not doing it years ago.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:57 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Evie4 HB User

No...you are never too old. I encouraged my husband to go to graduate school and pursue what he REALLY has a passion for. You get to that point in your life where money just isn't what it is all about. The most interesting thing I found about the decision was that more people were actually negative about it than positive. My feeling is that most people at that age can't imagine doing that kind of work at that point in their life--or should I say--they don't have the courage.

The other interesting thing is that at our age, we aren't "just figuring" things out in the world...so we go into it with a totally different perspective. Once my husband is done...it's my turn! We are way too young to force ourselves to do another 20-25 years at something we aren't really enjoying any longer (especially when we can actually afford to make the change)!

Having nurses in our family I'm familiar with the not so great parts of it. They work(ed) in hospitals and were terribly under paid. Hospitals are a business, and you know yourself how businesses operate. But if doing what you love...even if it doesn't pay a lot...makes you happy--then why not?

Old 04-10-2007, 09:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mystic_star HB User

Wow, I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread! I'm going tomorrow to enroll in nursing at a local Community College. I have already completed one year of pre-nursing courses and I am getting ready to turn 40 in Oct.! I thought I was too old also until I heard a friend of mine talking about her neighbor. This woman is half way through her nursing degree and she just turned 68!!!!! I figure..if she can do it (a grandmother of 4) then I have no doubt that I can also! You can do or be anything if you put the hard work and determination into it! Really, middle age is a good time for a career change because your head is on straighter and you know what you really want (unlike when you're younger). If you want to be a nurse, GO FOR IT!!! I know I want to and I won't let age or anything else stop me! Good Luck!

Old 04-11-2007, 05:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

I have a son-in-law that lives in Georgia and is going to Nursing School. He's in his late 30's and has a Masters in Marine Biology. The school he is going to will credit him with his current degree and with one year of required classes, he will be done and have his MSN. I think more and more schools are starting to do this, as all the hospitals are crying for more nurses.

A few years ago, my ex took a three month LOA and went from Oregon to Florida to work at a small hospital in Jupiter. Of course she was working through an agency, but she made $30+ and enjoyed three months of sun!! I'm not positive about this, but I think FL recognized her OR license and issued her a Temp license so she was able to work for the 90 days.

Last edited by RetiredDirector; 05-29-2007 at 01:39 PM.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
(female)

tiresome HB User

My mom was almost 40 when she started LPN school with my dads retirement benefits from Air Force. When she was 57 she decided to go back and get her RN. She is very glad she did as it made a BIG difference in her retirement (both Social Security and her work 401 and such). She made a lot more in her last few years of work and now is retired and living pretty good on her retirement income.
I say YES go for it.

Closed Thread