It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
(female)

Margie17 HB User
Shortage of physicians.

I have a couple of questions that, so far, have not been answered on other message boards. I am not premed just a curious.

1. Why is it so hard for people to get into medical school even when their college GPA is high?
2. Why do they have to take the MCAT, which having seen some of the questions and examples of essays on the net, I'm not totally convinced that the test would give me an insight into this person's vocation for medicine?
3. Why is it that when the medical student completes medical school, there are more students than residencies?
If we are facing such a shortage as everyone is predicting, is anything being done to fix any of this?
Why not make it easier for them. If there are any doctors out there that can explain this, please do

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
(female)

rilsam HB User
Re: Shortage of physicians.

I'm only a nurse. It's hard to get into med school because there is a limited amount of openings and they want to make sure they have the best canidates. The reason they say there is going to be a shortage of docs isn't because the med schools aren't putting out enough, it's because with all the law-suites, poor insurance reimbursment, and high malpractice rates, the doctors can't afford to stay in practice. People assume that docs make alot of money and they use to in the old days but not now. Malpractice for an OB/GYN in Ohio is $150,000 to $300,000 a year. How can anyone stay in practice paying those rates. Indiana has reform so it's alot cheaper here. Unless congress does something for the docs it will get alot worse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread